Slug the Litterbugs!

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 13:37
ThreadID: 94909 Views:2592 Replies:4 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,

In response to a thread posted on here earlier this morning I would like to make those who are unaware that it IS possible to do something about people who litter via the Keep Australia Beautiful's litter reporter scheme. I have searched on here for other posts for fear of dredging up an old topic but the laws have changed recently and it is a lot easier than it used to be to report and instigate a succesful infringement to people that litter. The catch being that if the report is contested you have to be willing to go to court to back up your claim (this happens rarely).

There is nothing that gets my blood boiling faster than seeing people throwing litter or cigarette butts out of cars or leaving litter on a beach or national park. If you feel as strongly about this as I do then to get involved click on this link:

http://www.kabc.wa.gov.au/litter-reporting/litter-reporter-registration.html

Basically once you sign up you get a pack delivered with about 10 post card size cards to fill out should you see someone littering, flicking a ciggie butt out of a car etc etc. I

f you see someone throwing litter from a car or leaving litter on the beach etc take note of the:

vehicle registration;
make and model of the vehicle
time and place that the offence was committed; and provide a description of the litter that was dropped. The completed card can be mailed to the KABC office without stamp or envelope. The information you provide will normally result in the issue of an infringement notice to the offender. You may, on rare ocasions, be required to attend a Magistrate’s court to provide evidence should the offence be disputed.

I keep these handy in my car and have used them a couple of times especially when d***heads throw ciggie butts out of their car. This enrages me and it's good to be able to actually do something about it. I have a close friend in the fire department and he said that 80% of all bushfires attended to are because of careless disposal of ciggie butts. He sees the destruction first hand of flora and fauna and even on occasions people's homes and lives.

Thanks

Craig
----------------------------------------------------------------
"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing"
Member: My Profile

FollowUp 1 of 1
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 16:16

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 16:16
It's probably best to reply to original thread rather than start a new post. Your post is isolated as it doesn't reference the original thread number and it means members have to then go searching and guessing if they want to follow the entire story. Cheers Witi.
AnswerID: 483194

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 16:26

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 16:26
Thanks for pointing that out Witi,

Thread number for original thread is 94899 which I also replied to. I wanted to start a fresh thread because it's something I feel strongly about and wanted to reach max number of readers.

Cheers
FollowupID: 758438

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:25

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:25
Craig

If you had only responded to the original thread I would have missed your KABS information.

I get sick of old threads after a while because all they seem do is repeat what others have said already and very, very rarely is there any new information.

Thanks mate

Phil
FollowupID: 758509

Reply By: Mark R - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 19:53

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 19:53
Thought this a great idea - went to the website to join up...ALAS:"Only Western Australian residents are eligible to register as a litter reporter". SO waste to time for all but Westies! Bugger.
AnswerID: 483213

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 20:17

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 20:17
Thanks Mark,

I was not aware of that! Maybe enquire to KABC as to why? Thanks for pointing that out.

Craig
FollowupID: 758464

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:29

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:29
Ditto. We are in the ACT. Cannot even register for a trip in WA as it will only accept WA for the home address.

Shame and will monitor this thread to see if other states pop up.

Phil
FollowupID: 758510

Follow Up By: Lex M - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:58

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:58
Queensland has a litter reporting site

https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/environmental_management/waste/reportit

And No Butts is in some states.

http://www.nobutts.com.au/Dob-in-a-tosser-Citizen-Littering-Report.html
FollowupID: 758515

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:17

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:17
I just received this from the NSW office.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Philip,

Thank you for your email. The best link to use to see which states are
operating the Keep Australia Beautiful 'Dob in a Litterer' campaign is:
Dob in a litterer campaign

For NSW specific incidents the form which is available from the NSW Office of
Environment and Heritage can be used, and can be found here:
NSW link

Hope you find this information useful,
Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phil
FollowupID: 758519

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:51

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:51
Thanks for the feedback Phil. Good to know the process over your way!

Cheers
FollowupID: 758524

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 08:24

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 08:24
Good idea and worth getting on to, i would dispute the claim about 80% of fires starting from ciggie butts and i am certain it has actually been proved also in tests, most are lit by some idiot either with the intent of arson or carelessness and quite a few are "controlled" burns that go wrong, i even re-call a firey was charged with lighting fires someware, no i dont smoke but i also know it would be lucky to be 5% if even that, campers that light up small fires for cooking are probally 30% of fires that go wrong ........
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 483259

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 09:27

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 09:27
Hi Joe,

Yes, it does seem rather a broad statement. Perhaps he meant 80% of fires he has attended to personally. Either way I'm no firey so I don't know the statistics, just quoting a friend in the business. You are right in saying that someone in the department was responsible for a burn that got out of control, it happened recently over my way down in Margaret River. It's all of our responsibility to look after the bush and if I can nail even one person using the KABC's initiative and make them think twice about flicking that butt then a difference has been made.

Cheers
FollowupID: 758505

Reply By: garrycol - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:31

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:31
Unless you have overwhelming evidence these type of reporting processes fail to achieve much as it comes down to "he said she said" where it is your word against the offenders - case not proved.

Then you have vexatious reporting - so any report will have to be quite strong.
AnswerID: 483272

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:49

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:49
Hi there,

That's actually not the case. The offender is immediately issued a fine and given the opportunity to dispute it. See below:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About litter reporting
The registered owner of the vehicle is considered to have committed the offence unless they can give the name of any person authorised by the registered owner to use the vehicle at that time.

The driver is also responsible for their passengers in relation to this offence unless they can give the name and contact details of the passenger concerned.

When littering or dumping from a vehicle is reported to the KABC, a fine or infringement notice is issued to the registered owner. If the registered owner was not the person responsible, there is a section on the infringement notice which can be filled in to give the name and contact details of the person responsible.

If the driver has not committed the offence they may fill in a statutory declaration stating that they did not throw/drop the litter and that they did not see who did. This can be sent to KABC where the fine will be reviewed. It is an offence to make a false or misleading statement on a statutory declaration.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have used this before and of course most people will fill in the stat dec saying that they didn't do it even when they clearly did and will usually get away with paying the fine HOWEVER!, it has caused them at least some inconvenience in that a) They have lied on a stat dec b) they might think twice about doing it again c) they realise there are people out there who do not accept this ignorant behaviour. It's not really about the fine it's about creating an awareness.

Thanks for your post.

Craig

FollowupID: 758523

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 15:28

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 15:28
Sure - and when it goes to court it will be thrown out when the offenders said they did not do it and have everyone who was in their car say they did not do it.

Not littering but car offence related - a friend (an older man not a hoon) received an infringement notice in the mail for doing burnouts on a main street - the report was made by a concerned member of the public. He replied that he was not in the area and it was not him - once more not really possible to do burnouts in a low powered awd car. Must have got the wrong number plate.

The authorities responded by dropping the infringement notice but giving him a formal warning that would be taken into account if prosecuted for another offence.

He said not good enough as he did nothing and asked that the matter be heard by a court - everything was immediately dropped.

In the end, while an infringement notice may be issued, if it pursued to court a case made for littering must be proved beyond reasonable doubt - if the person making the claim is a member of the police it may be carried but if a member of the public - not likely unless there is overwhelming proof.
FollowupID: 758530

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 16:11

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 16:11
I'm with you but you seem to be missing my point.

Firstly, I can't see random people signing up for the litter reporting programme with the intention of dishing out infringements to innocent people. It will more likely be people like myself and I'm sure many others on this site that are tired of arriving at their favourite location only to be greeted wiith piles of rubbish or driving behind people who carelessly throw stuff out of the car. I am not going to initiate an infringement via the KABC unless I am absolutely 100% sure that someone in that vehicle has littered. Which brings me to my point...when these clowns are issued with the infringement notice they need to sign a stat dec or pay the fine, either way it's an inconvenience and they will know they are guilty whether they pay the fine or not. If it does as you say go to court and get "thrown out" then they still have to go to court. In the future what's the alternative? Keeping the litter/ciggie butt in the car or throw it out again and risk all the hassle associated with being reported?

I'm sorry about your mate but this is entirely unrelated although very unfortunate.

I'm not really interested with the whole legality side and whether or not the offenders are prosecuted. It's about making them think twice about littering and raising an awareness. With due respect it's similar attitudes to yours that go towards perpetuating the problem. If there is an avenue to do something about it then do it. If you are not 100% sure that the person has littered, if there is any doubt.....did they drive over a chip packet and it flew in the air as you looked up and it only appeared they littered?....don't go ahead. It's a start which is better than doing nothing at all.
FollowupID: 758533

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 19:49

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 19:49
I get your point and I agree that most people will just pay up but you have only listed two options and that is pay or complete a stat dec - but there is a third option - have it heard in court - you do not have to have to sign a stat dec for this to happen - is our rights under law.

Cheers

Garry
FollowupID: 758552

Sponsored Links