Broome caravan parks

Submitted: Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 13:30
ThreadID: 94933 Views:4065 Replies:11 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all again. What is best time in Winter to visit Broome to be assured of getting a site in the Caravan Parks up there. I have heard that it is very difficult to book in to the Parks in June and July. I was told that Caravanners queue up outside the Parks sometimes for hours and even overnight before they can gain entry. If this is the case would August be a better time to visit Broome thus being assured of gaining a spot in the Parks, first in best dressed as they say.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 15:41

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 15:41
Friends tried all parks and there are no vacancies June July.

Only suggestion is to try Roebuck Plains Roadhouse which has a caravan park attached
Roebuck Plains Roadhouse

It is about 25kms from Broome.

Pedro
AnswerID: 483283

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 15:45

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 15:45
You will get various points of view. They do get very busy, but we were there in July last year and had no trouble finding a caravan park near Cable Beach. From memory we paid $50 a night. The secret is getting there early. Signs usually go out in the parks after 10 am listing the vacancies and the visitor’s centre also displays same.
When we first arrived we just had the list of caravan parks and phoned around. You will hear stories about how rude the operators are and that you cannot book ahead. Where we stayed they were very friendly and helpful and we were able to book ahead. We went and did the Horizontal Falls trip from Derby and wanted to come back to Broome for a few more days.
I have heard that people were forced to stay at Roebuck Plains Road House, which is a bit out of Broome, but have not actually spoken to anyone who had this problem. As I said, we had no problems. We loved Broome and will be back.
Kevin
AnswerID: 483284

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 16:09

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 16:09
If you are there in peak season and all are full, ask at the visitor centre about overflow parking. Otherwise get there mid morning as people are leaving and try (Roebuck Plains roadhouse may be needed for the wait).

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 483288

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 17:06

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 17:06
The pistol club has sites during the peak period.

We stayed several nights and found it quite OK.

Cheers

Alan
AnswerID: 483292

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 17:54

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 17:54
In recent years, we avoid visiting Broome after May and before October.
the info below may not be true, but its what we have observed after visiting there regularly for the past 10 years.

May is quiet as the early bird convoy has usually left for the Gibb River Road.
June is busy with the people who couldnt book sites for July.
July is for the people who booked 6-12 months in advance for the WA school holidays.
August is the Broome cup and Broome Festival Broome everything - its pretty busy.
September full of the regulars - who move in after the July school holidays.
October can get warm - but there are relatively few people around considering its school holidays.

Make sure you book if its the stairway to the moon time. The town will fill up for a couple of days regardless of the month.

I wouldn't consider staying at Roebuck Plains a Broome Holiday.

Have fun.

AnswerID: 483299

Reply By: Rob j2 - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 18:50

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 18:50
Hello Isa Nomads,
In the past and as recent as 2010 we have been to Broome and like everyone else had trouble getting a spot at a park. In July 2010 we stopped overnight sth of Broome at Stanley rest area; left about 6am and headed in. Went straight to the PCYC just around the corner from the Robuck Bay. Had a week there and on our way.
we were only staying a week so didn't bother about trying to find a spot at a proper park, but at least it gives you a base to work from, and its in town.
It is a problem that is probably going to get worse as more boomers retire.
Best of luck
AnswerID: 483305

Follow Up By: Bravo Man - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 20:18

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 20:18
Another vote for the PCYC. Arrived late July last year and had no problem getting in and stayed 10 nights.

Cheers Peter
FollowupID: 758555

Follow Up By: scoots68 - Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 23:39

Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 23:39
Excuse my ignorance but what is hte PCYC? We are going to be in Broome in late August & haven't booked a park as yet. May need to find it.
FollowupID: 758675

Follow Up By: Bravo Man - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 09:29

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 09:29
Hi scoots......PCYC is the police citizens youth club. They use their soccer field for camping,it has good amenities but only limited shade and power. There is also the pistol club grounds and a church also allows camping but its only small.
All 3 sites are overflow camps and only open 3 months each year. They are listed at the visitors centre.
When I was in Broome last year I was thinking I would do a day visit then head out of town to find a camping spot,but got into the PCYC easy and stayed 10 days. Broome was much better than I expected and not as touristy as I thought it would be.

Peter
FollowupID: 758689

Follow Up By: scoots68 - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:30

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:30
Hi Peter, thanks for the info. We are going to be in Broome in late August for about a week so might need to check it out, given we haven't booked anything. Cheers Rachael
FollowupID: 758791

Reply By: Dreadnought - Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 07:41

Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 07:41
If you want to be guaranteed a spot in one of the many beautiful caravan parks in the Broome area, you are better off going later in the year. Maybe from September onwards when all of the old fogies have cleared out.
AnswerID: 483328

Reply By: Muntoo - Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 11:02

Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 11:02
Starting to fill up already.

Thanks for the reminder.

HATE tourist season.
AnswerID: 483343

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 15:00

Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 15:00
Port Smith caravan park isn't Broome, but it's a very attractive place to stop at, when Broome is chockers, as it always in June & July. Only 160kms and a world away from the Broome ripoff.

I personally think that Broome is a fading jewel, with Cable Beach now littered with camel dung (despite the requirement to pick it up), and the feeling that tourist rip-off is just a way of life there.

I've seen people absolutely flabbergasted at the prices for everyday items. $4 for small bottle of Coke, $8 for a small glass of juice. It's over the top, and there's no reason for it, apart from money grubbing.

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 483352

Follow Up By: Kris and Kev - Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 15:36

Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 15:36
Like I said in my first thread, you will get different opinions. Like I said, we heard the negative points of view, but loved the place. So best to make up your own mind up. If we did not go to places that someone has not bagged, we would have missed out on some fantastic spots.
I am not one to do the ‘tourist thing’, but we did the silly tourist camel ride on cable Beach and had a blast.
When we started doing the Kimberley last year we did find everything expensive, but as it was explained to us. It takes a lot to get things there; it is a long way from anywhere and for several months of year, due to the wet season, tourists do not go there so money gets tight.
But we believe it is worth every cent and would go back and do it all again.
But, you have to listen to all points of view; after all, that is what this web site is all about. Kevin

FollowupID: 758615

Reply By: rossy - Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 18:23

Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 18:23
Broome has problems! We slept in our car for 3 nights as no caravan parks allowed dogs. (drunks walking past the car every night). In WA i think you can still camp anywhere more than 13km out of town, and sometimes we drove into properties and asked permission to camp without any knock backs.
The gun clubs are a good option, a friend of mine camps at them all over the countryside and he takes his dog as well. I would do that in future.
I noticed in the outback tourists don't always get treated very nicely. I remember an off putting sign in Derby caravan park as we entered saying "DON"T ASK FOR SHADE"!

AnswerID: 483384

Follow Up By: Frances - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:10

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:10
When we stayed at Derby we weren't allowed to stay at one caravan park because we had CHILDREN!
FollowupID: 758783

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 01:28

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 01:28
The Main Roads W.A. site has extensive info on rest areas. Note that MRDWA rest areas CANNOT be used for overnight camping, unless they are signposted "24".

http://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/USINGROADS/TOURINGWAMAPS/Pages/RestAreas.aspx

There are four overflow facilities for caravanners and campers in Broome, when all the Broome caravan parks are full.
These are listed on the following Broome Shire webpage, along with info relating to dogs and caravan parks.

http://www.broome.wa.gov.au/visitors/dicp.htm (This link refuses to work, for some reason - you'll have to copy & paste)

This following website clearly explains the convoluted and unworkable laws relating to camping outside designated caravan parks and campgrounds in W.A.
There is much activity going on to try and improve the situation.

http://www.wa4wda.com.au/warco.htm

There used to be a 10 mile limit for camping outside towns with caravan parks located in them. This old law seems to have been forgotten in the W.A. Caravan Parks & Camping Grounds Regulations 1997.
Most people are breaking the law anytime they pull up to camp in bush areas outside towns in W.A. As a general rule, not too many people worry about the law-breaking.

The only time the laws are enforced is when a particular Shire Ranger does a patrol, usually within a few kms of town - or of areas such as carparks by the beach, which are usually big no-no's for camping or parking your van in.

A big problem that the State of W.A. is faced with is the reduction in the number of transit caravan parks, in favour of permanent accommodation caravan parks. The latter pay better, and FIFO workers are using them because housing is tight in Perth.
The Tourism Industry is trying to impress on the Barnett Govt that something has to be done to improve the transit caravan park situation in W.A. - but Govts move slowly, as we all know.

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 483418

Sponsored Links