Ford Courier crew cab 2.8 turbo diesel

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 17:16
ThreadID: 9496 Views:10333 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at a 2001 courier turbo diesel. I would like to here from anyone that owns one or has owned one. I will be useing it mainly for highway cruising with some offroad maybe towing a camper trailer.Any feedback relating to mechanical problems, fuel economy reliability etc would be great.

Cheers
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Neetas - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 17:39

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 17:39
David
I am currently selling a 2002 (new shape) Courier XLT Crew Cab that's fully optioned - see Trader section of Exploroz. It's been a great car and it will be sad to see it go, however I have started a new job that provides a vehicle.
I've had no problems with it in the 12 months of ownership. Previously I had a 3.0 litre (4JX1) turbo diesel Jackaroo (2000). While not having as much power & torque on paper as the 'Roo, it performs very well. It cruises effortlessly on the highway, rarely needing a lower gear. I have driven it to Adelaide where it powered up & down the Adelaide Hills in top gear, passing a number of smoke puffing Hiluxes in the process. Once in top gear, above 1800rpm the turbo does the rest.

It has a much simpler design than the 'Roo, hence servicing parts and costs in general are considerably less.

The Courier has one of the highest towing capacities in it's class - 1.8 tonnes. I have an ARB rear step towbar fitted, but have only towed a campertrailer once - up to the Murray River for a long weekend trip.

Fuel consumption around town is a consistent 26-28mpg and on trips, 28-30mpg.

Feel free to pass my details on to any interested parties - see Trader for more info.

Kind regards
Mike
AnswerID: 41734

Reply By: dingodigger - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 21:27

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 21:27
my work had 5 ford couriers (2000-2002 models all diesels spacecabs x2, dual cab x 3.)
over that time 2 needed new exhaust manifolds(warranty fix)
one vehicle had its driver side front wheel/struts collapse
air-con would drop out on hot days
and in sand or mud you needed to really rev them to get them going, and the gap between 1st and second I reckon is too big
on the highway they were fine and would cruise on 110 easily.
as far as off-road ability goes i believe hilux or rodeo is the better option.
my two bob
dd
AnswerID: 41747

Reply By: phil - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:52

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:52
I have a 2000 (1999 build) Mazda Bravo extra cab tray top.
There were a few things attended under warranty but nothing else has failed
Warranty:
1. Faulty thermostat in A/C causing poor cooling. The cut out temperature was too high from new.
2. Rear springs sagging under load. New replacements fitted. A known problem.
3. Front wheel alignment was a continuing problem and eventually Mazda replaced the upper and lower front control arms and the torsion bars. This seems to have fixed it. Look for excessive wear on inside of tyres. The new torsion bars also resulted in a higher ride height at the front, possibly compensating for the steel bull bar, and a significantly improved ride on bush tracks. Other vehicles apparently had the same alignment problem.

Fuel consumption was about 10l/100km for a while but seems to have got worse lately and is now about 11.5 for no observable reason.
Drives well with 5th gear useable for almost anything above 70km/h
Phil
AnswerID: 41833

Reply By: phil - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:55

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:55
Warranty:
1. Faulty thermostat in A/C causing poor cooling. The cut out temperature was too high from new.
3. Front wheel alignment was a continuing problem and eventually Mazda replaced the upper and lower front control arms and the torsion bars. This seems to have fixed it. Look for excessive wear on inside of tyres. The new torsion bars also resulted in a higher ride height at the front, possibly compensating for the steel bull bar, and a significantly improved ride on bush tracks. Other vehicles apparently had the same alignment problem.

Fuel consumption was about 10l/100km for a while but seems to have got worse lately and is now about 11.5 for no observable reason.
Phil
AnswerID: 41834

Reply By: phil - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 16:02

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 16:02
Warranty:

Phil
AnswerID: 41836

Sponsored Links