On board shower unit

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 13:58
ThreadID: 94998 Views:2726 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I have a TD 100 series (2004) and want to fit an on board heat exchanger (Shower unit) to it. I have two challenges thou. The first is which to buy and the second is where to fit it. Under the bonnet is full of goodies so it cant go there. Any suggestions on the above would be appreciated.

Yes I,ve had the Coleman/primus/solar bag/ hot water over the fire etc so I wont be swayed from an on board unit.

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Polaris - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 14:27

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 14:27
I think you have the challenges (priorities) in the wrong order.

Before you decide which HE to buy you need to work out where you will be mounting it. Then you will be able to decide which unit to buy.

The Glind units have both coolant and fresh water entering and exiting at opposite ends of the HE. In other words - coolant in one end and out the opposite end. Fresh in one end and out the opposite end.

In contrast the Helton units can be had with both coolant and fresh entering and exiting the same end - all fittings are on one end of the cylinder. Takes up less space.

Helton link

Glind link

Sometimes a visit to your local TJM or ARB or OL store can be a help - they sometimes fit these units to customers vehicles and may share the fitting location.

Mounting the Glind vertical can also be of benefit as it is easier to bleed the coolant line that way as no air is trapped in the unit.

AnswerID: 483540

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 14:47

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 14:47
Sensible plan rare
I have a Twine and it has been in service for twenty five years. My children have a helton and they went through the same devices as you.
Their model helton is good because the one they chose can be mounted vertically and all hose connections are at one end.
I have a good pump (shurflo whisper king) and the plumbing clik on hoses come out through the grille.
Our routine is when we stop at the end of the day and while the engine is hot I place a 20lt container near the clik on fittings and connect a short hose to the suction side, this hose has a brass fitting on the end to hold it on the bottom of the container. Then I clik on a short hose to the outlet and back into the container to recirculate the water. This way I make the water hot enough to cool for a shower in about an hours time after we are set up. By that time the shower tent is set up and I attach a shower head with and on off tap on it on a separate longer hose. The whisper king pump stops when the shower head tap turns the water off.
It takes about 5 mins to heat with a hot engine.
Doing it this way there is no risk of scalding as the heater slide on the dash is off and the engine is no longer heating water.
Hope that makes sense.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 483541

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 15:13

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 15:13
I started doing the same thing and it works wonders. I added a extra ball valve just before the hose connection on the outlet side to regulate the flow a bit better ....faster it will be cooler and slower it will be hotter
FollowupID: 758807

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 16:46

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 16:46
Theb Twine and Glind and Piranah are a bit old hat due to their size and connections on both ends!! Helton is probably the go for a tight engine bay!! I have my exchange mounted on the bash plate between the bull bar and chassis!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 483555

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 16:47

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 16:47
THEB!! OOOpppps
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 758813

Reply By: Member - Walter H (WA) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 19:04

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 19:04
Image Could Not Be FoundG'day Rare,your certainly on the right path with a on board unit, and which ever unit you decide on im sure you wont look back as nothing beats knowing its with you where ever you go.As for myself i bought the Glind unit to which im more then happy with and regardless of where the inlets and outlets are you should have room for them under your spacious engine bay, for I managed to fit both my heat exchanger and pump high up in the engine bay of my Troopy which is also crowded with an aircompressor,2x battery's,intercooler and many other bits, and the 100 series has far more room then the 70 series.But all i did was sat down with a carton of thinking pills and studied the room that was there under the bonnet and then made custom brackets to mount both units and used existing bolts on the motor to mount them, but i also fitted a 3 way gate valve as this then gives me the option of using water from a river ect or drawing it from my 130ltr on board water tank by just turning the valve.

Hope this helps
Walter
AnswerID: 483576

Follow Up By: Trev6 - Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 20:33

Thursday, Apr 19, 2012 at 20:33
Hi,

For those who are using the Helton units , do you use the red hot water one's or the blue shower units?

The red units look more eficient as the water would heat a lot quicker but then they cost a bit more to buy. I have looked at them online a few times and can't decide on which to buy.

any help?

Trev6
FollowupID: 758858

Reply By: Member - Jdub - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 19:33

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 19:33
Well I have removed my heat exchanger in favour of a far cheaper & more convenient method . I now use an 8 litre Hudson Bugwiser garden spray with modified hose to take standard garden spray gun whichever one suits you.

Just heat the water in a stainless steel 10l bucket on the fire or gas if you wish, takes no time at all. Only requires one additional pump up during shower which is easy 'cos its in the tent with you. Also easy to monitor how much water remains.

This way the shower tent can be errected wherever you like as there is no "gadgetry" required from the vehicle.

Another consideration is electolysis in your cooling system from the disimilar metals ie copper, brass. aluminium.

Works for us and many in our 4wd club.

CheersJohn
AnswerID: 483689

Sponsored Links