Wish to purchase Shoo Roo

Submitted: Friday, Apr 12, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 950 Views:3577 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Wish to purchase a shoo roo - in Melbourne suburbs or Geelong area - any ideas or suggestions. Thanks - Jinki
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DennisN - Saturday, Apr 13, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Apr 13, 2002 at 00:00
I believe Greyhound buses did a user test on Shoo Roos some years back and found them very effective [I note they still use bull bars though]. An alternate idea might be an "air driven whistle" - or something similar. My local "Opposite Lock" dealer has one on the bonnet of his 4wd - a simple device that works from the air being pushed through it as you drive. Where you would get them in Melb/Geelong I don't know, but they would be a fraction of the price of the Shoo Roo I think. hope this helps.
AnswerID: 2800

Follow Up By: Grant Taylor - Saturday, Apr 13, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Apr 13, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Dennis, thats why they call them BULL bars. Shoo Roos don't shoo bulls, cows, camels and sheep. :~) Interested to know more about the whistle. Is it an ordinary ref's whistle? I have had too many extra "hood" ornaments over the years. Last count the Rodeo has had 4, Jac 3. Just missed many more(phew!!). Look forward to any more light you can shed on the whistles. Thanks.
FollowupID: 1078

Reply By: DennisN - Sunday, Apr 14, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 14, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Grant. it was a funny looking thing - about the size of a matchbox. Had a conical sort of shape and was bolted onto the bonnet on the left hand side. The bloke from Opposite Lock said it worked on a simple principle of air passsing through it and giving off a high frequency sound. How effective it was I don't know, but I notice he also has a bullbar on his 4wd :)Maybe some of the 4wd accessory shops around your area might have an idea of what they are all about. I have only ever seen the one. Personally I will rely on my TJM bull bar. regards
AnswerID: 2818

Follow Up By: Grant Taylor - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Dennis, thanks for the leads. I wouldn't rely on your bullbar solely, I have a roobar on the Rodeo(it's the fourth new one, one for each roo) and a bullbar on the Jack. The Jack's is the original but unfortunately it didn't stop one roo from slamming into the side door. The two hits to the bullbar where at sub 60kh/h so not seriously tested. I'll go for any extra options to clear the way. Shame the Shu-Roo is so expensive for what it is. Will try these others. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 1127

Reply By: Steven P. - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00
I have used the "whistles" for years, about $10-00 a pair from Motor Accessory shops, don't get the USA ones though, very noisy around town and don't seem to work.(amd annoy my wife, I'm deaf so can't hear them) I have never hit a Roo with one on the vehicle and the galahs and Corellas lift off about 200 metrs earlier. You need to fit the pair though, if a bug blocks one they dont work. Safe travelling, Steven P.
AnswerID: 2835

Reply By: DougTT - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00
We have had a "Shu-Roo" fitted to our Toyota Hi-Lux since we got it new in 1999. We've been to Darwin twice, and travelled Gibb River Road in 2001. While there are many sceptics around, and it is not possible to prove that it does work, we have not come even close to hitting a roo or any other animal in over 25,000 kms of travelling through animal-infested areas. Every animal we have ever seen has certainly been aware of our presence, and it gives us some peace-of-mind. Those eagles and things are well off the ground before we get to them, and emus go bush if the vehicle faces them. Unfortunately you can only prove that they don't work (When you come home with a roo on your bull-bar).
We live in Melbourne and had to buy ours through ARB in Bendigo - we had poor feed-back through some local shops. Its possible that highly educated 4wd drivers may feel too embarassed to admit that they forgot to turn the shu-roo on when they hit a kangaroo (if you believe all they tell you in the shops) We've also got those little whistle_things on our (toy) bull-bar.
Regards
AnswerID: 2860

Reply By: Jim Searle - Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00
We did the Simpson last year and had the whistles on. Super Cheap $6.50! can't prove they worked but it seemed that the roos sat up and we aware of our presence. Could not say that about emus!!!
They are easy to damage when washing.
Jim
AnswerID: 2954

Sponsored Links