76 series gxl workmate

Submitted: Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:23
ThreadID: 95018 Views:2489 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
thinking 4x4 anyone with one that has an opinion
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: you eat the bear - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 12:24

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 12:24
I've had an LC76 GXL for 4 years now and very happy with it in the main.
No issues with it mechanicaly at all.
It really depends what you want to do with it.
Its not as comfortable as say a Prado and it wont carry as much as a Troopy but it will readilly take you off road and it will pull most things that you'd want to tow with a car.
Your best option I think would be for you to drive one and decide if you can live with it around town and in traffic. Everywhere else its great.

Steve
AnswerID: 483652

Reply By: Wayne david - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 14:35

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 14:35
I like them. I like them a lot.

When we were looking to get another 4x4 I was mulling over which vehicle & the 76 gxl kept featuring on my list & covered most things I needed from a 4x4.

Eventually we went for an NT Pajero Did & are happy with it. We went the Paj for more on road comfort, fuel economy, ability to tow our camper trailer & the amazing warranty Mitsubishi offer. Also more grey nomads drove them and we all know those guys really do their research.

I've got to say though that when ever I see the 76 I wonder about it. For me I like it's style, robustness, off road ability AND the ability tow pretty much anything. Probably not all that comfy and the V8 will always enjoy a drink even when cruising to the shops.

The 76 series also option-up beautifully too. Jump on YouTube and take a look.
AnswerID: 483662

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 19:22

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 19:22
We bought ours for towing. I will admit our 80 is a nicer ride. I love the power of the V8 toing the 3t van. Gave it a desent run at Levuka over easter. Some interesting footage on myswag.
AnswerID: 483688

Reply By: cooks - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 11:07

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 11:07
I was also interested in whether the 5th gear was good enough for towing a van or such wieght or was 4th gear needed
AnswerID: 483730

Reply By: Member - VickiW - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 19:53

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 19:53
I love the 76. After about 14 years of the pootrol - which I loved & am forever thankful to because it taught me / us to plan line & approach & it never let us down, I am now on my 2nd 76 GXL Wagon (after ex left & moved interstate with #1). Mine is now 2 weeks old & am about to fit it out.
The only thing that I don't like is it is slightly shorter than the pootrol so not as good for sleeping in the back. In the time we / 1 owned #1 it was 100% reliable, fuel usage OK, & loved the engine. Made steep tracks relatively easier and diff lockers also helped to take stress out of some tracks a couple of times too.
Can't comment on towing as I haven;t towed with the 76.
AnswerID: 483786

Reply By: Will 76 Series - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 22:49

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 22:49
Cooks! Had our 76 Series for 3 years and love it. The V8 GXL is an awesome tow vehicle and fantastic in the rough stuff. As far as fuel consumption goes it overall out performs our prior 4 Cyl diesel wagon. Some suggestions for consideration are that Custm seats are crap and we have replaced them with Ricaro's. It is noisy on the black top over all, compared to most other wagons. It comes down to what you want to do? We do alot of off road and outback travel and it is awesome for this type of stuff. Good luck there are some great vehicles out there?
Regards Will
AnswerID: 483795

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 09:25

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 09:25
Hi Cooks

Gave them serious consideration when we brought our new Petrol Patrol a year ago.

They were almost the only other solid axles wagon on the market.

But it really didn't match the Patrol anywhere except fuel consumption but
despite this its cost of ownership was a lot higher.

The 4800 Patrol was more powerful and a better tow vehicle mainly because of its slick 5 speed auto and long stable wheelbase and its higher tip over angle.

Its coils were alot more comfortable than 76 series and overall its was a much more refined option.

We can also set ours up to sleep in whereas the 76 series was to short and narrow.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 483814

Follow Up By: ingo57 - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 14:33

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 14:33
Hi Robin,

I traded up from a 4.8 patrol to a 76 series and I feel the cruiser is twice the tow vehicle.

Towing with the 76 just rumbles along with torque at low revs, to get the same out of my 4.8 the engine had to be revving hard.

Dont get me wrong the 4.8 is a great engine but It cant be compared with the torque of the Diesel V8.
FollowupID: 759199

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 09:02

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 09:02
Hi Ingo

I bet your liking the fuel consumption to.

I know the feeling you mean , even though the 4800 has more torque product over its rev range , I think the auto swapping gears detracts from that constant even pulling that the diesel gives.

Even yesterday I was punting my new auto 4800 up a serious climb and every time I came to a log or drain it would swap gears going in and then coming out.

Whereas my now dead manual 4800 would just cruise over with the same revs giving the impression of unfussed progress.
Planting the foot though the auto would instantly pickup bigtime whereas the manual wouldn't unless gear change of course.

Then I took a brand new Mazda dual cab the top of range auto up the hill , now at 470nm it beats the V8's 430 and the patrol 420nm , hopwever the same thing happened with the auto swapping gears and seeming fussy.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 759250

Sponsored Links