Hilux charging problems

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 21:54
ThreadID: 9503 Views:6097 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

To cut a long story short I was stuck at the boat ramp this morning with a flat battery in my 99 petrol hilux - left the lights on - bugger!. The RACQ man finally arrived and gave me a jump start and checked the alternator current. It was charging at 12.59 volts and apparently it should be charging in the vicinity of 14 volts - he tells me the alternator is stuffed. Is this correct? Are there any common problems that I should check first before I shell out $$$$ for an auto electrician? I drove it home and hesitantly turned it off and it seems to have charged the battery fine and is starting as usual - should I be concerned?

Thanks,

Shaun
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mik*2 - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 23:09

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 23:09
It should be charging around 14 volts. It could be either your voltage regulator or the alternator. I don't know whether your regulator is part of the alt or not. My guess is that it is. Either way you should get someone to check it out and tell you for sure. In most cases if you take it somewhere, they'll check it out on the spot and tell you if it needs repairs or not.

cheers
mike
AnswerID: 41766

Reply By: Mark - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 23:10

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 23:10
An alternator should charge a lead acid battery at 13.5-13.8 volts for maximum recharging when low. It should then trickle charge at ~12.5-12.9V when nearly recharged. However, 12.59V will slowly recharge a flat battery, hence you have probably not noticed the problem, especially if you do long runs and otherwise have a good battery.

I am not sure what alternator the lux runs, but it looks like only the regulator may be at fault. A 5 year old alternator will probably have used a significant percentage of its brush life and who knows how well the bearings are fairing. If you can remove/repair the alternastor yourself, simply replace the regulator (usually buit in to the alternator) and check everything else while its out. But if unsure, get an auto sparky to do it, last thing you want is a flat battery at the boat ramp!!!

But do get the alternator checked properly, it would not be the first time a RACQ volt meter is out and you have a good battery that simply when flat because the lights were left on!!!

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 41767

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:23

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:23
Definitely, I checked my redarc isolator cutting in and out and was worried that it wasnt working until I replaced my voltmeter then the redarc worked fine. Get an auto lecky to check it out Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 304354

Reply By: Nav 80 - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 14:30

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 14:30
Shaun,,, A blown diode can produce the same simptom with a low charge rate, get it checked by a auto sparky.
AnswerID: 41819

Sponsored Links