1999 Prado Overheating Prob.

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 18:24
ThreadID: 95050 Views:6024 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I've purchased a 1999 Toyota Prado a few months ago & shortly thereafter I got Toyota to carry out a service & they also replaced the drive belts. Whist on our way to a holiday destination we broke down about 700km from home...... the vehicle overheated. Reservoir bottle was boiling. After topping up the needle returned to the normal temperature but after driving a few km's it overheated again. No signs of visible leaks at all but water was going somewhere. I got it towed to Port Hedland where the mechanic attended to it. Replaced the thermostat valve, valve seal, tightened the bolts on the engine block & flushed the cooling system. We continued with a hire car & upon our return we collected the repaired Prado & drove 450KM home, apologies for long explanation but my questions are;
1. Should I get a mechanic to carry out a compression test? (I did drive 450km after the repairs were done though)
2. How often should I replace the coolant (live in the Pilbara & drive the vehicle over weekends)
3. Prior to a long road trip again, what can I do to ensure the cooling system is ok.

Regards.....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 18:42

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 18:42
1) only is it doesn't run right or uses coolant, check engine oil and trans oil (if an auto) for milky colour.
2) 2 to 3 years depending on coolant specs.
3) Replace all hoses and replace radiator (plastic radiators have a limited life and the plastic tanks break down crack)...... we have had vehicles in our workshop that had not had a problem before until we touched a hose or a fitting breaking it and cracking the plastic.

Could be a number of reasons it ran hot, thermosts, engine fan, blocked radiator or loose of coolant due to corrosion, breaking down of materials or something loose.

AnswerID: 483770

Follow Up By: Electro-Ash - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 20:52

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 20:52
Thank you for the advice & info. Will def check the plastic bits......
FollowupID: 759066

Reply By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 19:22

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 19:22
Electro-Ash .

Question : was the thermostat the problem ? or just maybe !!!

How hot was the day temp ....why did it over heat ...diving v/fast on hot day !!!!
Quote " but water was going somewhere." ?

I would be getting it check for cracks & head gasket etc
also have the radiator check out & striped & cleaned.

You need to ask why this happened and what damage, if any has been done !!

cheers nick

Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 483775

Follow Up By: Electro-Ash - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 20:51

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 20:51
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply. The mechanic who had attended cannot tell me what the problem was. He replaced the thermostat, hoses, flushed & cleaned the radiator & also mentioned he torqued the bolts on the block. He went for an hour test drive. I also drove the vehicle home after repaired .....approx 450KM. Do I still need 2 check for cracks? When I had the prob. it was about 35 deg C & I was driving around 115km/h
FollowupID: 759064

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 22:36

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 22:36
I dont think speed & day temp ...should do that all day .

I think you need to check the motor over , but that will depend on how hot it got....just started boiling or cooked.... there are tests..... strip & clean rad / service for next time .
Did you notice temp going up ....I.E quickly
" water was going somewhere " .... was water shooting out of radiator or top up tank filler ?
Its a pity that thermostat was not checked ... but is most likely the problem.

cheers nick

Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 759070

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 12:01

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 12:01
Temperature and speed has no effect on a well maintained vehicle in the Pilbara.
I drive hire vehicles on a weekly basis out of Hedland, Newman and Paraburdoo some days in mid to high 40’s. I drive up to 400km at a time a lot of this is also on gravel tracks. The temperature gauge never moves.

For the car to get hot it has a mechanical issue and needs to be resolved. I would not be driving up there with a car that is not 100%.

Craig
FollowupID: 759091

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 18:29

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 18:29
Craig : I dont know I would agree with " no effect " , If he said he had it flat & it was 40 plus , this car is over ten years old & is unknown condition . unlike
your hire cars would be fairly new .... not that I disagree with you on , mechanical issue, on a well maintained vehicle ....

I'm no expert but I did live in Alice springs for over 20 years & have some experiences with car over heating .....

cheers nick

Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 759119

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 21:10

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 21:10
Not sure what you disagree with Nick.

If all the elements on the motor are in good working order it wont over heat. My brother has a car that is of similar vintage to the OP and he has started to have some overheating thus he is replacing the radiator as it has been found to be the source. If all is in good working order it wont have a problem. If I had my own car in the pilbara I would ensure that it was 100%.

My coment to th OP is find the problem and fix it.
FollowupID: 759134

Sponsored Links