yamaha ef1000is generator charging problem

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 20:11
ThreadID: 95053 Views:5198 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I have a yamaha ef1000is generator which I have pulled apart and decarboned. After reassembly I couldn't get it to start.
Eventually I discovered it would start with just the oil cutout wire and coil wire connected to the motor. When the charging system was connected the motor stops. Has anybody got any clues? Mezza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 16:14

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 16:14
my guess is that the slow speed circuit jet in the carby is blocked with dry fuel. There is an emulsion tube that gets blocked.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 483839

Reply By: murrayman - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 20:11

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 20:11
Hi mezza, iff you have accidently hooked up the stator wires wrong or damaged the stator the engine will not start. What happenes is the stator gounds and acts like a brake on the engine preventing it from running. By unhooking the electrics and only having the ignition wires on just about confirms that. I hope for your pockets sake the stator is not damaged. cheers mm.
AnswerID: 483860

Follow Up By: Mezza - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 22:57

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 22:57
Hi mm
Good to have you on board.
The plug which connects the stator is 'pretty' foolproof.
Is there some way of testing the stator to see what is going on?
If the stator is the problem does it need to be replaced or is the control panel likely to be damaged? thanks for the input - mezza
FollowupID: 759140

Follow Up By: Mezza - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 06:50

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 06:50
Just a followup mm
When I first reassembled the genny and it wouldn't start, I checked for spark which was eiither not there or at best spasmodic. I eventually found the spark returned to normal when the stator plug was disconnected. Mezza
FollowupID: 759148

Follow Up By: Mezza - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 13:12

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 13:12
Hurrah! The problem was being caused by me connecting black/white wires wrong in behind the switching panel. thats a relief! Prayer works wonders!Thanks for the input Mezza
FollowupID: 759190

Follow Up By: murrayman - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 19:55

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 19:55
hi mezza, good to hear you fixed it. You should not have to dekoke one of these units. i sell these and repair them and mine has over 1000hrs on it. I pulled it down when it done a stator and it was clean inside. They are a good unit, just make sure you run it sitting on a bag or something when you in the red dirt country as they will suck up the dust unto the electrics. cheers mark
FollowupID: 759213

Follow Up By: Mezza - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:24

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:24
thanks mm
I've just come back from Eildon after 2 weeks camping. Lots of dust in the air over Easter. This caused problems with dust entering the fuel system. I had the genie sitting on a foam base covered with felt. I am going to put a felt washer on top of the filler filter from now on to see if I can prevent this occuring again. I hope it does because this has been a long term problem.
I still am not happy with the amount of turns (about 2 1/2 ) of the mixture screw to get the unit to run evenly. Do you consider this excessive as an adjustment? This may be causing the carbon buildup which I consider to be excessive. Thanks Mezza
FollowupID: 759259

Follow Up By: murrayman - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 20:13

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 20:13
hi meza. is your an early model that had a factory recall on the carby. even the second carby was not that flash so i ended up rejetting some that still idled rough. dont worry about having the mixture screw out to far. should not make it carbon up. usually as long as the fuel is filtered it should be ok. should not need to ad an aditional filter to the standard tank one. iff your worried fit a small inline filter from a lawnmower shop between fuel tank and carby. hunting at idle with no load has always been an issue. when you clean the carby make sure u pull out the air jet at the top of the carby and clean that passage as well. just count the idle screw turns in to bottom out before you wind it out so you can set up the idle speed after wards. i will be back at work next week as i am on hollidays 800 k form my shop and if you like i will give you my ph no and you can ring me. cheers mm
FollowupID: 759306

Follow Up By: Mezza - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 22:43

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 22:43
thanks mm'
Your phone number would be great.
Finding someone who is widely experienced in these genies and somewhere handy is a problem.
Be interested to get more information on the rejet.
When the genie was running without the stator connected it would idle or run whereever the throttle was set and seemed very smooth. Only after the ststor was reconnected did the up and down running start.
It seems to me even with no load on the genie is running to fast.
I'm sure it isn't the idle screw because it isn't touching.
Does the genie try to maintain good voltage even when there is no load?
I tried to get information from a dealer on the carby recall when we discussed this issue once before. I was informed my model wasn't one of these. Don't know if he was just blowing me off.
Thanks again for the input. Mezza
FollowupID: 759331

Follow Up By: murrayman - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 08:12

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 08:12
hi mezza, the idle screw is a base only and the inverta chases the rpm to keep the voltage steady. it will run dead even with no electrucs connected, i will give you my shop no 0885691979 and after you have made contact i will give u my email and private no rather than here on an open forum. away at streaky bay fishing, will be back at work next monday. cheers mark
FollowupID: 759352

Sponsored Links