Gosse's Bluff

Submitted: Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 00:47
ThreadID: 9506 Views:2374 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone been to Gosse's Bluff in Glen Helen Gorge? Can you tell me if it is accessible by 2WD or is a 4WD required? I have been hunting online for some time trying to dig something up, but all I have found is general info, and nothing on how to get there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated =) We are travelling in March.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tessa_51 - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 06:02

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 06:02
Hi Silvia
Haven't been there for a couple of years but the first thing is that Gosse Bluff is not in Glen Helen Gorge. The gorge is one of a series of gorges in the West MacDonnell Ranges on Namatjira Drive. When I was there it was privately owned and had a small up market motel style accommodation and a van park with very ordinary amenities and high prices. If you are thinking of camping out there the National Parks have a few camping sites a few k's east of there at Ormiston Gorge which are at least as good and a lot cheaper. Gosse Bluff is maybe 60 kilometres West of the gorge. If you wanted specifically to see the Bluff and not necessarily the gorge, I would travel via Hermansburg on Larapinta Drive. I'm pretty sure that route to Gosse Bluff is bitumen these days, but the access to the inside of the Bluff is dirt and can be pretty rugged. BUT it's not far and I think if you were careful you could negotiate it in a 2 wd. The Bluff itself is amazing and a great place to visit. NPWS have built a number of picnic areas and viewing platforms in there.

I hope this helps
Tessa
AnswerID: 41778

Reply By: Member - Mark - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 06:33

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 06:33
G'day Silvia,
My information is 12 years old but I can assure you Gosse's Bluff is a MUST SEE which very few visit. When I was there there was a good dirt road easily passable in a 2WD vehicle in the dry. It's on Aboriginal land so an entry permit was required. Can't camp in the immediate area. Absolutely fascinating geologically and truly beautiful - plan to spend some time there and have a wander. Great water hole there for lunch if I remember correctly approx diagonally opposite the entry to the bluff. I hope to be in that area again soon and will definitely visit again. Also as you leave make sure you drive up to a lookout a few Kms away to look back onto the bluff for an excellent view - can't remember the name of the lookout - I think NNW of bluff. I'm sure you will enjoy the visit. Have a great trip.
Mark
AnswerID: 41779

Reply By: Member - Ross - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:03

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:03
Silvia

We were there last April and it is more or less exactly as Mark has described above.

CheersFidei defensor

Rosco
AnswerID: 41788

Reply By: ian - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:45

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:45
Silvia
The answers you have are good info, but even though it is Aboriginal land I have never had to have a permit for Gosse Bluff. I don't think you will either. It is mostly bitumen via Hermannsburg or Glen Helen, but Hermannsburg is a better road for 2 WD. Make sure you have good tyres and take your time and you will have no troubles in 2 WD. Go early, it gets hot.
Ian
AnswerID: 41802

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 13:14

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 13:14
The little photo is a view of Gosse Bluff from Tylers Pass, which is about 23 km to the north.Bob
AnswerID: 41811

Reply By: silvia - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 23:59

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 23:59
Thanks =) That probably explains why I am having trouble getting directions for Gosse's Bluff!

My partner is coming from Germany for a month's visit and we are driving from Perth to Alice Springs seeing the sights. Kalgoorlie, Pink Lake, the Nullarbor Cliffs, Blue lake, Uluru, the Olgas, Kings Canyon and the MacDonnell Ranges. I have never really seen much although we used to travel alot across the Nullarbor when I was a kid.

Gosse's Bluff is such a beautiful crater and I want to see it for real. I am SO pleased to know that it's likely we will be able to see it. =) We are planning to do the West MacDonnell Range trek here on the site and will pin visiting Gosse's Bluff to it.

We are camping so will take up the suggestion and camp near Ormiston and drive out in the morning to the Bluff, have lunch and shoot back. Not meaning to sound like a complete yokel but are there turnoff signs on the road or anything? This is my first real drive out that way.
AnswerID: 41895

Follow Up By: tessa_51 - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 06:12

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 06:12
Hi again Silvia
As I said its a litle while since we were there, but I didn't have any trouble finding the entry. I'm pretty sure it was well signposted. All the gorges are well posted and you will have a ball.

Tessa
FollowupID: 304335

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:51

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:51
Silvia,
have you got the Westprint West MacDonnells and the Hema Red Centre maps? They are available from the shop section of this site. I'd strongly recommend them to you.Bob
FollowupID: 304357

Reply By: Davoe - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:00

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:00
could b wrong but I recall gosse bluff being on the mooriene (spelling?) loopm road wich requires a permit available from the alice torist beureu cheaply the track in is also marked 4wd only
AnswerID: 41925

Sponsored Links