travelling from Melbourne to Coober Pedy Advice?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 14:37
ThreadID: 95066 Views:8654 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All... (I've taken over his blog and forum!)

We're seriously into the planning stages of the first leg of our "big lap" and we've decided Melbourne to Coober Pedy is our first leg with an over night stop along the way, so far we've narrowed down Port Wakefield. This leg will take about 9 hrs 26 mins (not including all the rest stops) The Bloke (aka Rob) says I should come onto HIS forum and ask everyone if they have better suggestions.

Also we're planning the second day Port Wakefield to Coober Pedy 7 Hrs and 18 minutes. Once there we'll sit and drop for a few days. So now comes the part where I ask for suggestions.

Coober Pedy Accommodation? I'm thinking Riba's underground simply because the first night is free when you do the tour (has anyone done and can recomend the tour?)

Plus what else is there that YOU think we should see, knowing we have a 10 yr old in tow and want to make it Kid fun and friendly as well. We've never been anywhere up this way so anyone who has please let us know your thoughts. Espeically any that were bad! save me from making some mistakes!!
thanks for reading
Kim

Our blog: http://wrakhine.aussieblogs.com.au/
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: milkieboy - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 15:26

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 15:26
Hi Kim. We stayed at Riba's in 2010 and had no complaints. The tour was great and the bloke running it was very friendly and welcoming. The only issue I had underground was that all the girls /women spraying deodorant and hairspray in the morning thought I was going to choke to death.

We didnt worry about setting up the tent just rolled out a tarp and slept on that.

Things we did around Coober Pedy were
The Breakaways
Dingo Caves
Old Timers mine tour
Played pool and drank beer at the Desert Cave

Anymore than a couple of days might be too much time there unless you wanted to a day trip out to William Creek (big day trip)

On the way up make sure you go to Woomera to see the old rockets, little and big kids will enjoy that.

Have fun
Ian
AnswerID: 483835

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 16:11

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 16:11
G'day Kim
How are you working out your travel times.
Melb to Adelaide is 700km or so depending on where you start and finish and because you won't average 100kmh then it will more likely take 8hrs or more without stopping for breaks.
If continuing through Adelaide then unless going through. late at night or before 4 in the morning add 1 more hour and then it will be about 1 1/2 hrs before your get to PW. All this without stopping. Add the stop times and it will be dark start to dark finish.
Just travelling the length of Portrush road in Adelaide sometimes takes 30 min or more.
If towing something the times could be more.
Be aware of personal item security in Coober Pedy. Been there driving interstate coaches and often unwanted visitors take a look through anything they can force open eg coaches during the night.

I have often travelled in a car from Bendigo to Adelaide and the trip, point to point is 609 km. Taking the shortest possible path and travelling relentlessly at the speed limit or a little above I have averaged 90kmh and that includes the 110kmh in SA.
If you have a navigation device, go for a typical drive and see what the average times are when you have to slow down for all the signs and towns during the trip. This will give you a more accurate rate of progress attainable.

Ross M
AnswerID: 483838

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:42

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:42
He got them from here - http://www.whereis.com/?id=45E304A1A756C3

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 759113

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:16

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:16
Hi Phantom,

Pity you have to rush the trip but if you hafta then you hafta.

Those are long driving days, maybe longer than you have estimated but I maybe you can do it. However getting through Adelaide suburbs will take longer than you might think (add at least 2 hours) so unless you planned to visit li'l 'ol Adelaide then suggest you give it a miss and bypass it.Adelaide may be small as capital cities go but it is about 50km in the North-South direction that you are travelling.

You could save some time if you branch-off at Bordertown and head via Pinnaroo, Renmark and Port Augusta, stopping overnight somewhere after Renmark. Nice country.

Sleeping underground is a good experience. Drop in to the Visitor Centre (Dead ahead as you enter town) and pick up a brochure then select from the many attractions. Or take a browse here.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 483842

Follow Up By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:50

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:50
Sometime ago a couple were going to do a trip Brisbane, Broken hill, Port Augusta, Uluru, Mt Isa and the to Brisbane. all in 4 days over Easter. on the advice given via the forum did they do it and did they survive? It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 759115

Reply By: Member - There Yet - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:44

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:44
Hi Kim,

I suggest going straight up the Calder to Mildura and then a stay around Remark (Maybe Plushes Paddock free camping). Then the following day some where around Port Augusta. Arriving at Coober Pedy on the 3rd Day. Don't forget to stop at Woomera on the way.
We plan to take the same route as above mentioned late in June. Last year we took a similar route and after 2 days travel we finished at Hawker at dusk.

Cheers and enjoy your trip.

Steven and Kerry

AnswerID: 483848

Follow Up By: Member - There Yet - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:47

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:47
Forgot to mention that after Remark, Morgan and Burra at really nice townships with a lot of history. Worth visiting.

S & K
FollowupID: 759114

Follow Up By: Frances - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 20:14

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 20:14
I agree with Steven and Kerry. Especially with a 10 year old.
FollowupID: 759438

Follow Up By: rnrphantom - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 21:09

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 21:09
Thanks for the replies everyone and some sound advice.
Guess that I'm still in work mode, eager to get to our first "adventure stop" at Coober Pedy. We have done Melbourne to Adelaide a couple of times and are keen to get past that point, into unknown areas.
Reflecting on it, it makes good sense to go via Renmark and start off as we plan to go on - taking our time and exploring new places.
Thanks for the constructive criticism and I'm glad that we found this forum as there will be many more questions and advice sought. Although we have done a bit of camping, it has only been for 4 or 5 days at a time.
Cheers & Beers

Rob, Kim & Will
FollowupID: 759565

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 18:50

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 18:50
Hi Kim,

My first instinct is to say woah, slow down.. what is the rush! You are starting a journey of 9 weeks - with the emphasis on the journey not the destination. You say you have never been anywhere "up this way" but you have your travel time down to minutes. Well there are so many amazing things to see up that way that you will regret it if you rush past driving 7 to 9 hours in a day.

I'm another who would suggest giving Adelaide a miss (its relatively close by for a visit at another time) and what do you achieve by just driving through. Go via Burra, there is a lot to see there (have a look at Stephen Ls blog). Any reason not to go via the Flinders, Maree, Lake Eyre south, William creek, Coober Pedy? - this will all be real eye popping country for you.

North of CP you can have some long clear runs up to Uluru if you are concerned about pacing yourselves.

9 weeks is enough to get a good feel for the places you propose to visit. We did a trip of similar time and distance last year (and on several previous occasions too), and from our experience, while you wont see everything, you do get a pretty good spread of amazing sights and experiences. Strongly suggest try not to drive more than about 400kms a day and you will have an enjoyable and rewarding trip.

Cheers,

Val

Have a look at some of our blogs for some more detail on the places you propose to visit.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 483855

Follow Up By: rnrphantom - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:37

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:37
Seems like everyone is saying "slow down".
After thinking about it for a while, sounds like good advice. As we have done Melbourne to Adelaide a couple of times, we are planning on by passing that section of the trip and thoughts were to better spend the time in areas that we haven't been to. As we're not leaving for about 5 months, we'll do some more research into potential routes that we haven't done and as you have recommended, limit our travel to 400 odd Kms per day.

Thanks

Rob, Kim & Will
FollowupID: 759180

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 15:58

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 15:58
Hi R,K&W,

I guess when you are in "workday" mode its hard (if you are not used to it) to adjust to planning for a trip which is not really about getting from point A to point B in the quickest time. There is so much to see along the way that you may find yourselves wanting to stop pretty often to see and do all sorts of different things. And when you do that you cut into travel time, so if you plan on doing say 700kms a day you just dont have the flexibility to enjoy the new experiences that the journey will toss up. It will get easier as you relax into the trip. This is also one reason not to do too much detailed planning, or booking ahead etc as that just puts pressure on you to get to some place by a certain time - a good way to ruin a trip.

However you go tho, have a great trip,

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 759203

Reply By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 21:30

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 21:30
2 nights in Coober Pedy was enough for me. We stayed at the underground hotel . Not sure of the name but it was good.
Scott
AnswerID: 483869

Reply By: ian - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 23:29

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 23:29
I do it regularly, and I find that the Calder Hwy and across to Burra is the best way, and safer than the Western Hwy.
ian
AnswerID: 483879

Follow Up By: rnrphantom - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:39

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:39
Hi Ian,
Thanks for the follow up. What is the road like to Burra,what route did you take and did you stop over on the way?

Regards

Rob
FollowupID: 759181

Follow Up By: ian - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 13:02

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 13:02
Rob, the roads are fine. I leave early and hit Burra in one day.
Various ways to get there, but i think quickest is thru Ouyen, Pinnaroo, Loxton and Waikerie. Disadvantage may be that you cannot carry fruit/veggies on the roads thru this area (supposedly). I stock up at Port Augusta.
Heaps of places to stop.
Rgds
Ian
FollowupID: 759188

Follow Up By: wendys - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 22:08

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 22:08
We've done a number of trips in that direction. Always go Melbourne-Bendigo - Mildura - Renmark - Morgan - Burra - Peterborough - Orroroo - Port Augusta.
It is a straightforward route, with less traffic than the Western Highway and without the hassles of Adelaide traffic.
We usually have the first night at Mildura, Renmark or Morgan, depending how early we got away - but we are usually also towing.
Be aware of fruit/veg quarantine area which starts south of Mildura and continues beyond the border - where you will be checked. We restock at Renmark or Port Augusta.
FollowupID: 759459

Reply By: mikehzz - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 06:59

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 06:59
Any excuse to drive through the Flinders Ranges is a good one. Cheers.
AnswerID: 484341

Sponsored Links