Engel switching from 12-240 volt

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 21:43
ThreadID: 95079 Views:2357 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have a 20 year old 39 litre Engel (still going strong!!) that has recently started to play up when I switch it from 12-240 volt or vice versa. The other day, I switched it on (in 12 volt mode) and it didnt start. I left it on for a few days to see if it would kick in (as it has done a few times before) and nothing happened. As I was going away and needed space in the Hilux, I took it out, put in the shed and connected it to 240 volt. Initially nothing- in fact it didnt start up for a few days. But then!!! Presto, fridge started working. Is there a switching mechanism in Engels that could be on the way out in mine? Is it worth fixing in a 20 year old unit? Anybody had a similar issue? Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks,

Tass
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 21:59

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 21:59
G'day Tass
It could be the contacts in the thermostat which are dirty or corroded and only conacting sometimes.
Not sure where the thermostat is in an Engel even though I own one.

Yours might be easily visible and repairable.

Ross M
AnswerID: 483872

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 22:19

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 22:19
Tass - QUOTE - "Is it worth fixing in a 20 year old unit?" END QUOTE

Of course it is! This is an Engel you're talking about! Mine's still purring happily, even though it was 35 yrs old, last month!
Is it a green or a grey Engel? What's the model number?

I've never had any switch problems with my old green one - but if I were you, I'd be getting onto your local sparky mate, and see if he's prepared to look at it

The Engels use a fancy circuit board to supply 20 volts AC power to the compressor, regardless on input voltage. If there's a constant 20 - 25V AC to the compressor cables, but still no go, then the compressor is shot.
The old green fridge circuit boards are much less complex, and more fixable than the newer fully electronic models.

Engel will want to sell you a complete new circuit board if that's the problem area. These are pretty expensive. The old circuit boards can be repaired as I understand, because they use simple components that can be sourced and soldered in. The newer ones suffer from the "no user serviceable parts inside" syndrome. [:-(

If the compressor is shot (rare, but has been known to happen), then you're up for a new one, they aren't fixable. Not sure on what a new compressor is worth nowadays, but I understand it's economic to replace a compressor, particularly if the rest of the fridge is O.K.

If you price a new Engel, you might get the idea, it could be worth fixing the old one!

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 483874

Reply By: sweetwill - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 07:32

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 07:32
Hello Tass.
Have you checked the wires in the 12 volt lead cheres Bill.
AnswerID: 483885

Follow Up By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 08:48

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 08:48
Will agree with that. Check the fuse in the plug first. After 30 years my cord finally packed it in. Bill
FollowupID: 759152

Reply By: blue one - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 19:09

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 19:09
I had a problem with both a 40 & 32 ltr Engels and it turned out to be hot joints with the Engel screw in connections. So I turfed the Engel connections and installed marine grade screw fittings to both leads.

All good now.

The Engel connections got very hot which tuned me into the problem.

Cheers
AnswerID: 483939

Sponsored Links