Caravan Jacking points

Submitted: Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 17:01
ThreadID: 95095 Views:8613 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Not having owned a van before, you'll have to excuse my ignorance. At least this question may give some of you a laugh.
Was having a chat with some friends today and during the course of the conversation the caravan came up. We were wondering do caravans having Jacking points ???
The original question came from my mate but it did seem valid.
Any info please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Bushy 04(VIC) - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 17:46

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 17:46
Arsenal Phill with my van I jack off the main chassis rails or the axles, however that said some vans do have proper jacking points.
Hope this helps
Bushy.
AnswerID: 483926

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 18:31

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 18:31
hey Phill, those Spurs fans been chucking tacks under your wheels again? You do bring it on yourself mate, with that rego plate ;)

Looks like you have a decent rig - if you can find the room/carry the weight, a small trolley jack might make things easier and the plate on it makes placement a bit easier than the little bottle jack. When I had a L/R Defender with a huge canopy, I used to put a near-40kg trolley jack in because I had the room. Made changing wheels a breeze but maybe a bit OTT weight-wise. I carry a small trolley jack around now but I'm sure more weight conscious drivers would think that OTT too.

(btw, OTT doesn't mean Old Trafford Tragic but it would probably fit appropriately enough)

AnswerID: 483931

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:18

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:18
Image Could Not Be FoundHi there Steve. Loved the comment about the Spurs supporters!!! Thats what I do love about this site, there is a touch of personality and humour about it. I love my rego plate and you are going to kick me even more when I tell you that I have another one on my works trailer and one at the licencing centre to go on the van. I'll certainly be flying the flag. : ) You'll have to agree that a man has to have a passion? My Mum just shrugs her shoulders and has told me that she thought I'd have grown out of it by now! Women......they'll never understand.

I like the sound of the trolley jack. I used to have one back home in London. As you rightly stated though, here, space has been an issue. I am less than happy with the bottle jack supplied with the Cruiser. Unbelievably I have had one puncture on it and that was less than 2 mins from home on the black top. It was pathetic. The jack only lifted the wheell clear of the ground by about 2cm. I was on a slight incline and didn't feel safe at all trying to wriggle the thing off. I now carry plates of wood to put under the jack and as you will know they are a must when off road for soft tracks and sand.

I envisage that we will have more space now, so I may look into a trolley jack.

Thanks very much for the input and taking the time. Hope your team can beat City the weekend as I just don't want them to win the Championship. Throwing their money around like they do just does my head in........

Happy travels.

PS Here's pic of old camper.......especially for you... : ))))

FollowupID: 759248

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:52

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:52
a-phill
you dont have to carry the jack you could tow it behind ????? lol
FollowupID: 759262

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 23:09

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 23:09
Phill - Well, having stated you've never owned a van before, perhaps it's time to advise you to remember to ALWAYS put the handbrake on, and chock the opposite side wheels, before jacking up the van.

It may seem like a simple thing, but I can tell you some sad stories about even experienced people who failed to carry out this simple, but vital preliminary step - resulting in lots more work - sometimes damage - and even occasionally, injuries.

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 483968

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 00:55

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 00:55
Jayco vans have an upturned saucer like piece welded on the chassis just behind the rear spring shackle to take the top of a bottle jack.

Many vans are supplied with the lifting point for a Trail-A-Mate jack welded to the bottom of the cross member immediately behind the rear of the wheel arch. If you purchase a Trail-A-Mate it comes with a pair of those jacking points so you can have them welded to most vans (you can not use them on European vans or Jaycos without strengthening the chassis.)

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 483976

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:23

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:23
Thanks Peter and Ron.

I think you have both cleared up my curiousity. The van is now in Mandurah and ready for collection. We are going to get down there and pick it up in the second week in May.

I will check with the builders when I pick it up as it seriously isn't something I actually thought about until my mate John bought it up.

Wishing you guys all the best. Happy travelling

Phill
AnswerID: 483982

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:43

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:43
Phill - The major problem you'll encounter is whether to jack just the axle or the van chassis.
Usually, jacking the axle directly behind the flat tyre is the quickest and simplest method.

However, many vans have limited wheel-arch-to-wheel clearance - so that if you jack the axle, the wheel travels further up into the wheel arch - then you find you cannot remove the wheel, because there is inadequate clearance in the wheel arch for the wheel to come out.

In this case, you need to jack the caravan chassis, so that you have adequate wheel-arch-to-wheel clearance, to allow for wheel removal.
Jacking on the chassis means that you need to jack for greater height before the wheel leaves the ground.
I would check with your caravan manufacturer for their jacking position recommendations - and even do a test jacking before you travel.

The biggest single problem with jacking the axle is that once a tyre is flat, the axle is usually quite close to the ground, and you need a very low profile jack, or need to dig a hole to get the jack under it.
Jacking the chassis is usually much easier, but you need a jack with adequate lift height - bearing in mind that you need to raise the axle from a very low position, with a flat tyre, to quite a high position, that enables wheel removal.

Naturally, flat tyres always happen in the most inconvenient places - on soft ground, muddy ground, or on a side slope! - usually making life more interesting, than you really need it to be! [:-)

Cheers - Ron.
FollowupID: 759266

Sponsored Links