Working while on the road

Submitted: Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 19:22
ThreadID: 95098 Views:2188 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Good evening all,

Sorry if this is a silly question but ive been told there is no such thing! When working while travelling in this fantastic country of ours are you required to provide a tax file number or a ABN or is it cash in hand payment.Looking to work if available while we travel up to maybe 1 week to 1 month at a time or as need be fruit picking etc. on hopefully our 5 year venture

Cheers Gary and Jodie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wendys - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 19:33

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 19:33
We have worked fruit packing and in some tourism operations. Always had to provide TFN. Also had to provide fund details for payment of super.
AnswerID: 483942

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 19:52

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 19:52
Gee Jodie,

You've either led with your chin, or you're starting a good stir, so I'll bite.

This "fantastic country of ours" requires all of us to each pull our weight and not simply bludge off others, and by not providing a TFN or ABN this means to my simple mind that such a person would be evading their fair share of income tax and thus sponging off others.

Or am I looking at this too simplistically?

Perhaps the modern generation is too accustomed to the snouts-in-the-trough examples set by our politicians and the "World owes me a living" attitude seemingly adopted by too many Australians.

Maybe I'm too old for this kind of stirring.

AnswerID: 483943

Follow Up By: jodie0075 - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 20:11

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 20:11
Yes i think you have missed the point totally. We are both in our mid 40s and have both worked from the age of 15, raised 4 beautiful girls, paid 2 mortgages and have two houses, payed tax the whole time, worked in the disabilties field and and now the kids have grown up and this is a new adventure for us so just wanted to now how it all works.We also payed for our uni educations in full and so do our children.Wont get an old age pension, its called superannuation now.And this is a fantastic country indeed, we should no as we are 6 th generation Austrailans.

Sorry you have interpruted this post incorrectly.No stirring intented.

Thanks Gary
FollowupID: 759218

Follow Up By: Bill BD - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 23:33

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 23:33
Dicky, no one is compelled to provide a Tax File Number; however, if you fail to provide one you are taxed at the highest rate (I think its called witholding tax). So its not a method of avoiding tax.
FollowupID: 759232

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 20:14

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 20:14
Okay, sorry, must've been that last glass of wine.

I'll fade out and wish you a great time with your travels.

AnswerID: 483947

Follow Up By: jodie0075 - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 20:22

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 20:22
No problems, the wine will do it sometimes. All the best also with your travels.
FollowupID: 759220

Reply By: Member - Josh- Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:09

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:09
Working on the road is no different to working normally. You find a job, provide your details and pay the government more than they deserve. The only real difference is tax time can be a bit more fun.
Depending on the type of work you are doing depends how much of your trip you can claim back.
When we travelled I worked as a sales rep for a company, I was employed as an independent contractor so could claim a lot of travel expense, acomm ect. Paid very little tax.
Some places you apply for work may pay in cash, it's up to you what you do with it.


AnswerID: 483956

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:37

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:37
Lots of options for working when travelling - most of them legitimate employer-employee arrangements. If not legit - don't touch it - you would have no insurances, or guarantees you will receive fair pay and conditions. Google "Finding work when travelling, or doing volunteer work" for further ideas. ABN will be needed if you 'run your own business' - eg hairdressing or mechanics from your van. Trades such as bricklaying usually require ABN - but not the area you are looking at. Of course you are required to provide your tax file number when you complete the Employment Declaration (ATO form) for any job, otherwise the employer has to withhold almost 50% of the wages as tax - which can be reclaimed to your normal tax level when you do you annual tax return.


Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 483961

Reply By: SDG - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:46

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:46
Legally yes any work you do regardless of how and where a tax file number should be supplied, and as a result each year you claim your taxes, but, it can also depend on how you discuss that you get paid.
For example,
A few years back I met a bloke in a caravan park cleaning gutters on some cabins. As payment he got to stay there a few days.

While that might not sound a lot, it is what, 60bucks or so that he saved, which could be spent elsewhere in town.

I guess it would depend if your tyring to earn a good living while travelling, or just trying to save a few dollars here and there for something else.
AnswerID: 483964

Reply By: Member - Greg H (NT) - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:11

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:11
Check out Workabout Australia. I think it is still going. Could have some good info for you.


Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 483979

Reply By: Member - Ann D (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 14:47

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 14:47
You could try,

AnswerID: 484024

Sponsored Links