twin steer K144

Submitted: Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 19:50
ThreadID: 95099 Views:4246 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I have K144 twin steer built 11/80 that has Australian compliance GVM of 45875 kgs, it has 76000lb diffs, 21 speed spicer, Cat motor. last rego WA 1999. I am wondering if this a Kenthworth modification or some other. I think it was prob imported direct from the states. I have all ID numbers if needed and can get more info to. So cheers to anyone who can help me.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wayne N (QLD) - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 20:14

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 20:14
Hi Tony,
I've read and reread your post. What is your question again. I'm missing it.

What is the thing that might be a modification?

This truck certainly is a heavy haul unit with those diffs.

cheers

Wayne
Crossing the Wenlock

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 483949

Follow Up By: tony b9 - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 20:32

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 20:32
well kenworth engineering specs for a K144 CR with the chassis number on mine is 33 800 GVM with odviously lighter diffs and different motor and I want to know if Kenworth would had made this alterations to order maybe done by some one else (which would seem like a lot of trouble to me) or would it of been import from the states as it is
FollowupID: 759222

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:22

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:22
I'd be ringing Kenworth,
It sounds suss, As you said nothing matches the chassie numbers.
Cheers Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 759228

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:49

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:49
Tony - It's entirely possible that your truck has been "rebuilt" by an owner many years after it left the factory, with a different motor, gearbox and diffs.
Most trucks and items of machinery more than 20 yrs old have a "long & chequered" history - which often involves major transplants, substantial rebuilds, and sometimes, even making one truck out of two!
Remember, all these big trucks were built to work - and most have done several million kms, sometimes after as little as 10 yrs. The Ansett Kenworths were racking up a million kms a year from new.

Cheers - Ron.
FollowupID: 759231

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:18

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:18
Tony - It is highly unlikely that your truck is a U.S. import. If it was, it would have to have a certification plate affixed to certify the conversion from LHD to RHD - and you would see where the LHD to RHD conversion work had been done, because there would be a mounting position/holes for the LHD steering box.

U.S.-built Kenworths were imported into Australia in very small numbers, starting from the late 1950's. In 1962 and 1963, around a couple of dozen were imported. The first KW truck importers and owners were Doug Cameron and G.N. Blomfield. Reg Ansett was also amongst the first users of Kenworths. These trucks were Seattle-built in RHD to Australian owner specifications.

Shortly after that date, Kenworth commenced Australian manufacture of Kenworth RHD trucks, and have manufactured virtually all Kenworths sold in Australia since that time. Kenworth build to order, and always have done. So if you want a heavy hauler, KW will build it for you.

The tri-drive KW C-500's doing sterling service on mining hauls in W.A., such as the BGC rigs transporting iron ore from Windarling & Mt Jackson to the railhead at Koolyanobbing, are amongst the heaviest Australian prime movers ever built.
I think they are dragging 270 tonnes in specially-built triple road trains.

Your truck has almost certainly been built in Australia for a specific order from a specific client. If the diffs really are 76,000lb, as you say, then they are extra-heavy duty diffs and the truck has been built to haul a massive GCM. I don't recall ever seeing 76,000lb diffs, 55,000lbs is the heaviest on-road diffs that I can recall.

You appear to be confusing GVM and GCM (Gross VEHICLE Mass & Gross COMBINATION Mass). You would not be able to get 45875kgs on GVM, unless you had a substantial number of additional axles.

However, you would be able to get 45875kgs GCM easily with your drivetrain. In fact, the drivetrain specs indicates a possible GCM of around 130 tonnes or more. It appears the original GCM could have been re-rated down, to save on rego fees.

The best people to talk to about your truck, are the blokes on the HCVC forum. There's a thread currently running there, about Australian KW truck history.
The bloke to talk to is "Swishy" (Ted Beamish) - he's a bit of a character, but he's the KW guru, and he's got S/N and build records of many of the Australian KW's built. I can give you Swishys direct email if you like. His website alone is worth a look.

Beamish Heavy Hauliers - http://www.beamish.biz/

HCVC forum - KW thread - http://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1334302211/0

Cheers - Ron.

Email - ronash13 (AT) iinet.net.au (replace the AT with the you-know-what symbol - this is to defeat spammers and spybots)

P.S. - If you want to sell the truck, I have a mate looking for a truck exactly like that.
AnswerID: 483957

Reply By: Paul and Mel - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 18:56

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 18:56
and i thought 44,000lb diffs were big in size.........
AnswerID: 484048

Sponsored Links