Caravan Tyres.

Submitted: Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:52
ThreadID: 9510 Views:1832 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Forumites. I need your thoughts on the best way of evening up the wear on the vans tyres. I'm getting conflicting advices from various sources.
For instance, a caravan site says to rotate them with the spare, spare onto l/hand side, l/hand side to right, and r/handside to the spare pos.
Others say use the spare to each side in turn for a few thousand klms., otherwise laminating can take place by reversing the direction of travel with the tyres.
At least with the second method only the spare gets used in both directions.
What's the latest thinking on this subject?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David N. - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:15

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:15
I wouldn't worry. You're not talking rocket science here.
But DO protect your spare from the sun with a cover (the ones available from this website are good.)
Or even tyre black from your local auto department helps a little with sun damage to the spare.
I would rather have a spare in as new condition on my van if ever I blow a tyre rather than one half worn.
Cheers
AnswerID: 41824

Reply By: Nav 80 - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:27

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:27
Alan,,,It sounds like you are talking about a single axle van,I would be interested to hear where on the tyres the wear is occuring. If it is on the inside and a smooth wear it may be the same problem as I have had with my van. As a mechanic I know a bit about tyre wear etc and with my van I noticed as stated above. The first thing I did was to get a tape measure and measure as best I could the distance between the top of the tyre compared with the bottom. This can be done by marking the centre of each tyre,rolling to the top measure, then roll to the bottom and measure again. This will give an indication of the wheels sitting square ie, equal top and bottom, In my case the bottom was about 5mm wider. In my van they have made the axle out of solid square with the ends turned down for the bearings,solid is not as strong as hollow and the axle had bent. I had to remove the axle,make up a rib with 40x12mm flat bar to clamp along the top problem solved nomore tyre wear. You may not have the same problem but thought I would mention how I solved mine as someone else may be having this problem.
AnswerID: 41829

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:41

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 15:41
Thanks David and Nav80. No I haven't had any real wear as yet, but want to make sure I do what's considered the right thing in an effort to get the best wear and safety from the tyres.
I had a tyre go up in the Kimberley years ago on a trailer behind a truck, destroyed the tyre and rim completely.
One of the theories then was that the tread had pulled apart but it was very difficult to tell really what happened.
I don't want that happening whilst the cook and the grand kids are with me ............they'd never accept any explanation as to what happened, it'd be my fault and I'd never hear the last of it!
FollowupID: 304273

Follow Up By: Member - Ross - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 20:47

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 20:47
Nav

Not nit picking here, but to set the record straight for all forumites .. for any given dimension solid is significantly stronger than hollow in bending. It has more to do with strength/weight insomuch as hollow sections are much stronger in the strength against weight ratio than is the case with solid sections.

Cheers ;-)Fidei defensor

Rosco
FollowupID: 304304

Reply By: David N. - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 16:38

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 16:38
Further to the above...
The biggest problem with 'van tyres most people have is underinflation.
Light truck radials have a rating in kilogrammes which ASSUMES MAX INFLATION PRESSURE>
ie: if you run them at say 40psi (from a max of say 65 psi) then you have to reduce your rated load accordingly. Many manufactirers recommend a tyre pressure which is actually too low!

Also, just for info, I have an 18 month old 'van on which I was getting uneven (and rapid) tyre wear. Trouble is I discovered the problem after it was out of warranty. Axle was very crooked- manufactured that way I suspect, by a well known (german) manufacturer! (It was hollow with stub axles welded in each end.)
I tried to get some joy with them and the van manufacturer but got nowhere- had a new (stronger) solid axle made up locally for $115 which was easier than fighting a large corporation!!!!
Meanwhile I'm keeping my spare "as new" by keeping it protected from the sun etc!
Hope this helps- Cheers
AnswerID: 41838

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 17:06

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 17:06
I think from what you all say that one of the most important things is to protect the spare from the elements with a cover, and I'll make sure the pressures are correct and rotate them every 5000 klms or so.
Thank you all for your help.
FollowupID: 304284

Sponsored Links