Safe Places to stay overnight travelling to Newman WA

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 07:05
ThreadID: 95103 Views:2249 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Sorry for taking too long for replying have been away working, leaving from Adelaide, driving a pajero 4x4 not towing anything, i have looked at the maps etc thinking of first night stop at Ceduna then Kalgoorlie and head north, saying this i have not much experience in long travelling, going to stay with my son and family at newman for week or so then head to the coast look around and head back down and across i have approx 5 weeks, looking staying at cabins etc, reading forums on everybody's travels, and im sure someone has travel this route before from Kalgoorlie is where im stuck for best accommodation until i hit Newman, this trip will give me a taste to explore further all comments appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: landseka - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:10

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:10
If you are happy to drive the (almost) 1500km from Ceduna to Kalgoorlie in one day you obviously are not into sightseeing and have good stamina. The next leg from Kal to Newman should be a breeze at only 1100 odd km, lol.

Watch for animals on the road as part of your drive will be in darkness.

If you need to break the trip then a hotel at Wiluna or Meekathara will be quite safe for you as long as you don't go walking the street(s) at night.

Cheers Neil.
AnswerID: 483995

Follow Up By: lucabair - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:39

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:39
whoops told ya have no experience, might stop at noresman then
FollowupID: 759265

Reply By: Darren (Greta West) - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 16:59

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 16:59
Travelling all day you'd get to Ceduna day one then to Norseman day two. Heading to the west you've the sun behind you so glare isn't a problem until late afternoon & by then your knackered anyway. Either the caravan park or motels @ both Ceduna & Norseman are good value after a long day on the road.
From there have travelled from Meekatharra to Norseman in one day by leaving @ 5am. The road from Wiluna to Meekatharra wasn't sealed in 1998 though. Regardless, I seriously doubt you'd get to Newman from Norseman in one day.
There's very little @ Wiluna so I'd try to make Meekatharra where there's a good caravan park. From there you should reach Newman early afternoon.
A word of warning, don't travel the Nullarbor @ night. The threat of hitting wildlife skyrockets after dark in the desert, more so than most places in Australia. You'll probably see examples of this as you head across the Nullarbor.
AnswerID: 484035

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 17:54

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 17:54
Hi lucabair

I echo the warnings not to travel at night.

Do you need to stop somewhere with power and amenities? If not, on the route you are taking, there are plenty of opportunities to pull off the road for the night safely. Even doing fairly long days, we do stop for at a night or two between Ceduna and Norseman. Otherwise all the Eyre Highway roadhouses have camping areas.

Penong caravan park is my choice over Ceduna; it is a small town 73 kilometres west of Ceduna and the park was a really pleasant surprise. Fuel is also cheaper at Penong than Ceduna.

I would choose Cue over Meekatharra, and they have just opened a rebuilt caravan park there.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484038

Follow Up By: lucabair - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 08:52

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 08:52
Thanks for the above advice, its the information i was after, makes me feel confident now and will plan the trip as you said thanks again
FollowupID: 759359

Sponsored Links