Davenport Range National Park

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 09:45
ThreadID: 95105 Views:1407 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all forumites

We are currently planning to visit Davenport Range NP during our Northern Territory excursion in June/July.

Maps indicate the existence of a "private road" from "Epenarra" Station (which is to the north west of Davenport Range) to the Barkly Highway about 10 kilometres east of Barkly Homestead Roadhouse, Some publications suggest that it is possible to travel that route into the park, but I don't know how current that information is.

I would appreciate advice from anyone familiar with the area as whether its possible to travel that road &, if permission is required, where that might be obtained from.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Graham
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 17:47

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 17:47
Hi Graham - It is a closed station road and has been for some years. It belongs to Epenarra Station so you could always phone them.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484037

Reply By: KevL64 - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 07:57

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 07:57
Graham,

I drove the track in 2010.

At the time my daughter was teaching at the nearby community. She was friends with the station manager and they had no problem with us taking the track. They did ask that we call in when we got to the Barkly highway. It is a considerable shortcut.
The track was in pretty good shape except for 4 or 5 sections that were covered in water. There were sidetracks though. I travelled it with a Grand Vitara and camper trailer. The track hadn't seen much traffic with only 2 other sets of tyre tracks for most of the route.

I believe that management of Epenara changed last year with the previous manager swapping stations with their parents, perhaps Murray Downs. Whether they will allow use of the track is unknown but its well worth checking.

I spent a couple of nights at Old Police Station waterhole in the Davenport ranges national park. The waterhole was pretty well full and a magnificent sight. If I'd had the time I'd have stayed longer. Make sure you check out the ruins on the opposite side of the waterhole.

Kev
Heres a pic taken in 2010
Old Police Station Waterhole
AnswerID: 484110

Sponsored Links