NW Coast Rd - GRR - Grt Nthn Hwy

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 00:36
ThreadID: 95130 Views:1833 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'd be very keen to hear what anyone has to say about our plans. Do you think it would be enjoyable and comfortable to do. We are in our 50/60's and reasonably fit{well he is, I think I might be. Workin out at the moment so I can be ready. Yeah we can all dream;-)} We leave beginning of July follow the outline below for 6 weeks. At this stage just need to know if I have allowed time to see gorges(hiking) packing and driving. Taking an off road camper trailer and 4x4 dual cab ute with cavas canopy. Oh and got two grandies aged 10 & 12 years.

Home – Galenia
Galenia – Kennedy’s NP
Stay extra night
Kennedy’s NP – Pt Quobba – Lyndon River West
Lyndon River W – Exmouth - Neds Camp
Neds Camp – Yardie Creek Camp
Yardie Creek – House Creek Bridge
HCBridge – Mt Florence
Mt Florence – W Peawah River
W Peawah River – Roebuck Plains
Roebuck Plains- Quondong Pt
Stay another night
Quondong Pt – GRR Napier Downs
Napier Downs – Mt Hart
Stay another night
Mt Hart – Mornington Wilderness Camp
Stay another night
M W CampManning Gorge
Manning GorgeKing Edward River Camp
Stay another night
Stay another night
KE River CampCamp 752(Camps 6 book)
Camp 752 – El Questro
Stay another night
El Questro – Kununarra
Stay another night
Stay another night
Stay another night
Kununarra – (Turkey Creek) Warmun
Stay another night visit Bungles Bungles
(Turkey Creek) Warmun – Wolf Creek Crater
WCCrater – Mary’s Pool
Mary’s Pool – Roebuck Plains Roadhouse
RB P R/house – Marble Bar
Stay another night
Marble Bar – 578(Camps 6 Book)
578 – Cue
Stay another night
CueMiling(Friends)
MilingHome

Thanks in advance everyone your experiences are invaluable
Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 07:28

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 07:28
A word on the first part of your trip up to Roebuck Plains - you will feel like you are seeing the country from the seats in your vehicle, you haven't left yourself enough time to do anything but get there set up and go to bed, remembering the speed limit for towing is 100 kph and once off the highway you will be going slower than that.

Kennedy Range to Pt Quobba the road isn't fantastic and then on to Lyndon River W - that is a very solid day trip in itself. I would have thought once at Quobba you would want to stop and have a look. You might find you would do better to drop this section out to allow yourself more time in other spots. Not sure which way you are going into Kennedy Range if you are coming off the highway south of Carnarvon the going is pretty slow in places, you will need to allow more time to travel through than thinking 100 kilometres equals an hours driving, work more on averaging perhaps 70 kph tops.

After all this negativity - do have a wonderful trip there are so many different scenes to take in through the Pilbara and Kimberlies.

Sue
Karratha WA
AnswerID: 484102

Follow Up By: Dirt Princess - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:46

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:46
Thanks Sue
Thinking of heading E off Nth Coast Hwy onto Butcher's track then onto Carnarvon Mullewa Road heading N. There is a little back tracking but it wont bother us too much. I'll take on board what you have suggested with thanks.

With regard to Quobba, I was going to camp there but thought maybe it might get a little noisy with the blow holes what do you think?

The kids will be fine, I've got a treasure hunt and competition going on for them and us which needs their keen eye and querying minds. I'll post a copy of our first day's Quiz sheet for anyone to gain an idea for their kids/adults.

And lastly I have given a few places a miss either because they are close and I can do another time or I can fly there and be a real tourist:) You know the kind, where you kick back and let someone else do all the driving and you can have someone else do the cooking/cleaning....mmm...WHAT AM I DOING? Snap out of it! I'll Stop dreaming ...I'm going on a real holiday uhg! uhg!
FollowupID: 759368

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 17:26

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 17:26
Dirt Princess - Treat the coast around the Blowholes and Quobba with great caution. It's not called King Wave country for nothing.

I remember seeing a story on the 'net (with pictures) quite a number of years ago.
A group of blokes went fishing near the Blowholes. They had a Nissan Patrol wagon, and they parked the Nissan about 50M back from the cliff top, and pulled out all their gear and went fishing off the cliff top.

It was a 12M metre cliff with a vertical face, and all flat country on the area where they were fishing from, and where the Nissan was parked.

Next thing, one bloke yells out - "RUN!" - as he spots a king wave rear up out of nowhere.
This king wave BROKE OVER THE TOP OF THE 12M CLIFF!!! The blokes stated it was at least a 15M wave!

The "tsunami" of the volume of water from the wave, sent all the blokes sprawling and swimming for over 200M.
The wave knocked the Nissan Patrol over onto its side - and the blokes lost a lot of their gear that was lying on the ground around them and near the Nissan.

It was just the greatest piece of luck, that none of the blokes drowned. They had to organise help to right and recover the Nissan - and that episode put a far greater respect for that country into their minds, than they ever had before.

Even at Kalbarri, about 15 mths ago, my brother and SIL were standing on some rocks, several metres above the sea just South of Kalbarri - when a king wave clobbered them, and dragged them both down into the rocks. My brother is 70, and SIL is 64.
They suffered huge amounts of bruising, skin missing, wrenched joints - and they lost mobile phones, cameras, purse, wallet, the lot.

It wasn't a happy experience for them and they both nearly drowned. They aren't risk takers, and they are both very experienced outbackers and bushies.
FollowupID: 759412

Follow Up By: Dirt Princess - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 18:49

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 18:49
My gosh Ron how scary is that! Thanks so much for the warning. Thank God no-one was killed.
Cheers again, I'm goin' to tell hubby to fish somewhere else. As he is a bit of a risk taker.
FollowupID: 759423

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 08:26

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 08:26
I tend to agree with Sue that you need to allow a bit more time. Young children tend to get bored and need to run around a bit every couple of hours - actually adults do too but we get lazy. Stopping whenever you see something interesting makes the trip so much more enjoyable than feeling you must keep going to make the target for the day. The beauty of your having the camper is that within reason you can just stop wherever you happen to be when the afternoon starts to fade. We try to pull up before the sun starts to set so setting up is more relaxed and you have time to enjoy the sunset etc.

You will have a great trip - give yourself time to enjoy it.

cheers
AnswerID: 484117

Reply By: Member - Geoff B (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 09:54

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 09:54
I would suggest heading straight to broome, then take your time to really see everything there is to see on the GRR, then if you have time, you can call into all the other places on the way home. They are all closer so you can do them another time.
Sue B
AnswerID: 484133

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 14:09

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 14:09
Last year we spent 9 weeks from the start of the Kimberley at Kununurra, went via the Great Northern Highway to Broome and back via the Gibb River Road (GRR) to Kununurra. Still had to rush to see it all and could have taken a lot longer. Just on the GRR we took 4 weeks and travelled just over 3,000 kilometres. On the Dampier Peninsular we spent 7 nights and again, could have spent a lot more time. There is a lot up there to see and fantastic places stay. So don’t try and do too much, spent quality time and come back another time. We will be back! Kevin
AnswerID: 484157

Reply By: wendys - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 15:13

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 15:13
There is really no reason to stay at Turkey Creek/Warmun. There is a caravan park by the turnoff to the Bungles, where you could stay to do a day trip into the Bungles, and that would save backtracking to Turkey Creek.
Why not check if you can take the camper into the Bungles (I think they are allowed) and camp two nights in there - would be worth it. You could comfortably drive Kununurra to either of the Bungles campgrounds in a day.

Marble Bar to Cue is a hell of a long way, especially as the Marble Bar to Newman section could be pretty corrugated.

I think you are trying to do too much in 6 weeks. You can easily spend that much time alone just in the Kimberley area - and then some!
AnswerID: 484167

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 16:46

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 16:46
Hi DP,

I agree with others that you are trying to cram too much into 6 weeks. I would suggest that the Kimberley is one trip and the WA coast and Pilbara is another, each about 6 weeks long.

Just looking at your Kimberley itinerary, you seem to have left out Broome and Derby(horizontal waterfall?), Cape Leveque (or nearby areas) also Windjana Gorge and Tunnel Creek all of which are real highlights. Also I assune you realise that you cant be assured of getting a campsite at Quandong Point.

Suggest at least 2 possibly 3 nights in the Bungles, and question whether the trip down to WCC is really worth it?

Roebuck Plains to Marble Bar is also a long haul, too much for one day.

We drove the Butchers track in 09 - it feels remote but there is no scenery just scrub - its really just a short cut from the south to the Murchison RH.

I suggest going up the Great northern hway and spend as much time as you can in the Kimberley. If you have time left over, on the way home do a swing west from Newman and Tom Price and work down to the Kennedy Range NP.

Sorry if that sounds all a bit negative, but it would be a pity to spoil a trip by trying to cram too much in.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484175

Reply By: Member - jezza68 - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 22:32

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 22:32
I have to agree with the other s that itinary is a big ask and not kid friendly.

I would suggest by passing the Exmouth/Carnarvon area due to the limited time you will have to appreciate it.
Secondly the 4 days between Yardie Creek and W.Peawah is only 1000kms and nothing but spinifex with a few hills. The campsites are not appealing. So I would put in a drive to Pt Samson and then Pardoo Stn/ 80 Mile Beach.

Mornington is a genuine hit and miss affair as you cannot book and may not get in. I would recommend the time at Wandjina/Tunnel Creek as they are more interesting and not such a big drive.
You will need 2 nights at Mt Barnett (Manning Gorge) as it is a fair hike from the camp ground to the gorge and you will want the rest.
I would stay at Home valley rather than El Questro, due to better camping facilities and a pool etc for the kids. It is only a short drive to Elquestro to see how over rated it is.

I would shorten the Kununurra stay as well as what is of ineterst can be done in 3 nights. The spend the extra night actually in Bungles.

The trip to Wolfe Creek is a real side track @ 380kms and I would not bother as it is very underwhelming when you actually see it. And the roads are shocking
I would drine on to Fitzroy and camp at the Lodge. Pack in the morning and do the Geike Gorge Tour then head for Broome.
The drive to Marble Bar is not difficult if you take the Boreline Road and the scenery is far more interesting.
AnswerID: 484234

Sponsored Links