Fourby Upgrade - 100 v 200?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 14:12
ThreadID: 95141 Views:2799 Replies:6 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
The time has come to upgrade the Troopy (HZJ75) with something a bit 'softer', but still very capable.

My first thought was for a new 200 LC GX but as it is only available in auto form plus I have no control over which fuel tank is being used, I am not convinced.

My next thought is for a low mileage 100 turbo diesel, which I have found in manual version, or even a 105 with aftermarket turbo.

I was hoping that some other 100 series owners would let me know if they can choose which fuel tank the engine draws from, and does it have its own fuel gauge?

The vehicle will be used as a caravan tow vehicle with trips down the CSR and other desert runs (without the van) also envisaged.

There are only the two of us and any other comments regarding the pros and cons of either vehicle choice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cookie1 - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 14:55

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 14:55
Hi Peter,

I just made the plunge from the Patrol to a 200 GX

True you can't select which tank you draw from but I couldn't with the Patrol either you merely had the choice of when to fill from the auxillary tank although it does sip some fuel at each start up.

I am about to hit the Canning myself and had a 180L aux tank fitted, fully loaded on a few trips carrying 90L water 20L diesel + fuel + 3 men we got about 1500km range averaging 18L / 100km whreas the Patrol was 23L / 100km.

Am I happy with the 200 - you bet, the raw power is unbelieveable and I can overtake with confidence.

Hope this is of some use

Cheers

Colin
AnswerID: 484162

Follow Up By: fawkesp - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 15:58

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 15:58
Colin,

I was talking to a CSR tripper yesterday and he also commented that a 200 that was along on his last trip also seemed to average around 18l/100km, pretty good I thought considering the conditions and the power.

The 200 is certainly still on our list.

I would love to hear how the trip goes.

Peter
FollowupID: 759401

Reply By: Member - neville G (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 15:02

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 15:02
Peter, We have a 100series T/D auto and tow a three T Phoenix caravan, have covered around 60000ks. with the van and have been very happy. Yes it has two tanks and gauge works on both. I might mention that I was always adamant that I would always drive a manual until my good friend, the Toyota agent talked me into trying an auto, I would never choose a manual again, I think that there are many more guys with the same thought.
Cheers, Nev.
AnswerID: 484165

Follow Up By: fawkesp - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 15:55

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 15:55
Neville,

Thanks for your comments. My reason for keeping the manual was that I can move the vehicle from rest on just the idle (no right foot required), which is handy in some rough/sandy conditions.

I have driven a 200 a few times, and being an auto, it seems to require some throttle/revs before it will move.

I am however open to being convinced otherwise.

Peter.
FollowupID: 759400

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 16:26

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 16:26
"I have driven a 200 a few times, and being an auto, it seems to require some throttle/revs before it will move. "

Totally different once in low range, there are times where other 4x4's are going places in high range and we have to use low range... not because of lack of ability or power but when unloaded the 200 series will start to move on flat ground from 1000rpm but in hilly slow going stuff when loaded (climbing big rocky hills) the 200 series will not start moving until about 2000rpm.

If in low range it will start moving at about 800rpm loaded in hilly slow going stuff.
FollowupID: 759405

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 15:10

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 15:10
I have a 105 (soon to have aftermarket turbo), many have been done and the only concern I have doing mine will be the gearbox, they don't have very good gearbox, unlike the factory T/Ds or petrols, There are a few horror storys about turbo-ing a 1HZ, mainly coming from bad installations or over fuelling/over boosting, If you don't know the one you are looking at its history, be very cautious

If you can get a low mileage 100 (factory turbo) manual, grab it, they are as rare as, most are auto.
All the T/D 100's are IFS, I wanted live front axle and part time 4WD,
As for fuel tanks on the 10# series there is a switch that lets you choose which tank the fuel is drawn from, The fuel gauge changes to suit with a light indicating if you are using the smaller sub tank, I wasn't aware you couldn't do that with a 200.

There a plenty of 200 owners who say that their vehicle is on a whole new level compared to the 100 they used own, It will be long time before I will be in a position to choose, that's why I'm spend the coin on getting my 105 to move a bit better on the highway

I'm a bit old school, I like vinyl floors and seats, windows you wind up by hand, and to see the motor when I open the bonnet.
I LOVE to get something that had 650nm under the foot though

Shane
AnswerID: 484166

Follow Up By: fawkesp - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 16:06

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 16:06
True Shane, my experiences with the 200 would seem to indicate that when you want to overtake, or pulla load up a hill, there ain't no substitue for cubic inches, or torque.

I found a manual 100TD with only 38,000 on the clock from a dealer but he was in WA (I'm in NSW), so checking it out may be a little difficult, but we'll keep trying.

Not trying to change your mind however but the 200GX does have a vinyl floor!

Peter.
FollowupID: 759402

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 20:12

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 20:12
Hi Shane,

I'm in exactly the same position as you. I'm loving my 105 4.2 Std Diesel at the moment. It's really in it's element off road but I'd kill for some extra torque and am also considering an aftermarket Turbo. The motor has done 150,000 kms and is in very good condition but have heard that things can and do go wrong. I'd like to hear how you are going about getting yours done and some feedback on the results once it's in!

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 759437

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 15:57

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 15:57
cheers Craig,
hang on sec that pic looks familiar!
FollowupID: 759520

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 16:16

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 16:16
Had the same issue 12 months ago on what to by.... in the end we bought a 200 series VX diesel.

Could not justify the high price for a 100 series that was all ready 5 years old and over 100,000 kilometres and had no benefits over the 200 series.

We went new because we wanted to fit the Lovell GVM upgrade before rego and also buying new we have a 6 years and 150,000 kilometre factory warranty just in case.

After owning our 200 series for a while you realise how out dated the 100 series is in capability, comfort, handling and performance.

This is our first auto 4x4 and I don't think I would go back to a manual 4x4 again..... there are some things I miss not having a manual but you can work around that, a manual would be good for 5% of our driving but an auto is better for 95%.

With the front solid axle vs independent argument there would only be the extreme high end stuff and I mean extreme where a solid axle would out perform the independent front end and again there are ways around it..... ours being a VX comes standard with the KDSS suspension that gives about 4 to 5 inches extra travel bringing it close to a solid axled 4x4.

The difference what we have found between the two front ends is we can not hit stuff as fast or hard but that's why we have a 12,000 pound winch.... plus less chance of damaging the 4x4 if we go slow, I would rate diff locks over a solid axle anyday.

This gets back to the percentage thing an independent front end handles better, is smoother, doesn't shake and rattle the 4x4 as much and decreases driver and passenger fatigue..... why have some thing that's only going to benefit you in less then 2% of you 4x4ing and hinder you in 98% of driving.

As for the fuel tank, I don't see a need for isolating tanks and chances are if your going to pick up bad fuel you will in most cases be filling both tanks at the one location.... if your worried about damaging one and loosing all you fuel; when was the last time you damaged a fuel tank..... bit like people carrying two spares or a spare tyre on the (no rim) on the roof rack; again I can't remember when the last time was when I needed two spares.

There are things I don't like about the 200 series but it's miles better then anything else that can do what it can do.

You will find the 200 series is a very capable 4x4 and will put your current ride to shame with the refinement and how easy it does things.

Traction control works a treat and enables you to walk up obstacles slowly causing less damage to the 4x4 and environment but still no substitute for diff lock when the going gets very very hard (remember winch).

If towing; a 200 series would be the way to go and I would probably stay clear of a 105 with a turbo if towing a heavy van (small gear box) over rough ground.
AnswerID: 484170

Follow Up By: zigdog - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 18:59

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 18:59
Discovery 4. Has more load space and more power than the rest along with the most comfortable ride you will ever experience outside a RR Vogue.

Seriously, do yourself a favour and park any prejudices you think you may have and actually go drive one. You won't regret it.

I love mine.
FollowupID: 759425

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 22:25

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 22:25
Zigdog,

Not quite as much power and torque as a 200....but pretty close.

I came from a 100 series so was biased to start with, but after I had both the 200 and the D4 for a week, the D4 was the better vehicle. D4 was slightly more expensive in the spec that I chose.

So far so good....eats my 100 offroad, has significantly better fuel economy, and lugs our 3.5 tonne trailer while sipping 17 litres per 100. The 200 when towing this trailer sat at 21. Wife loves the perceived smaller vehicle.....until I showed her the specs for the two cars. It just feels smaller, and much nimbler.

I have been converted.

But this is VERY off topic.

BW.

FollowupID: 759461

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 08:56

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 08:56
If this post was titled "landcruiser 200 vs Landrover Discovery D4" I would say you comments are warranted BUT it's about Landcruiser 100 series vs 200 series.

Maybe we can also include the BMW X5 and the Merc AMG G Wagon..... and the Audi Q7..... LOL

Yes had a good look at a D4 and they are a great 4x4 just like the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overlander.

We are looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overlander not to replace the 200 series but as a good allround town car.

The down side of the D4 and Jeep is the lack of the dealer network in areas outside the main capitals.

The D4 we were looking at came with 19 inch rims making it next to useless again once outside the main capitals....... the lower spec D4 you could go down to 17 inch rims, our Landcruiser can standard on 18 inch rims and for $100 a rim we went to Gen Toyota Steelies in 17x8.5.

The next thing was the lack of available GVM upgrades for the D4 (non existent) whereby with the 200 we went 500Kg over standard factory GVM.

Next on the list was availability of spare parts and I don't mean belts and filters, out of all the countries who manufacture vehicles that come through our workshop the the hardest and in most cases most expensive to order parts for are European vehicles.

And another thing was the size of aftermarket fuel tanks, with the Landcruiser we can carry an extra 100Lts over a D4 with long range tanks and in the outback when remote travelling this makes a hugh difference.

With the room side of things it comes down to usable room and not just volume, our 200 series has been converted to a two seater.

Maybe we should get back on topic about 100 vs 200.
FollowupID: 759480

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 09:19

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 09:19
Go for the 100 series. We have a 2005 4.2TD auto GXL and are very happy with it.

The single fuel gauge show the fuel status in the "currently selected" fuel tank.

Noting comments above about moving at low revs. Our 100 will slowly move along on level ground just by putting it in gear at idle. And that's in both high and low range. Great for slowly moving in traffic and around the service station while the boss is playing. No throttle made one bloke look in amazement. Chuckle.

Phil
AnswerID: 484252

Follow Up By: fawkesp - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 20:24

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 20:24
Interesting Phil.

I note your comment on the fuel gauge choice and also the followup on olcoolone's comments on requiring 2,000rpm on hills with heavy loads, not sure I want one of those.

Trouble is, I can get a new GX for only about $8,000-$10,000 more than a 2006 100TD - with a new warranty, that is a good argument.

Oh well, keep researching I suppose.

Peter.
FollowupID: 759559

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 22:06

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 22:06
And then spend all that and more installing the extras that the 2006 100 would already have installed.

Up until the Toyota we had always purchased our cars new. So I know the tendency to buy new. But new means more techo crap in it that takes the fun out of driving. So where do you go. It's easy for us. The car will outlive both. But you! Thank god that's your problem. I do not like the 200.

Best of luck mate

Phil
FollowupID: 759577

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 09:49

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 09:49
Peter re: the 2000 rpm...... this is in hard going off road situations only where in an older 4x4 you might of been able to climb it in 2wd high range, we have only encounter this a few times and it may be a thing with all auto 4x4's.

The 100 series has held it's price very well due to the fact of people thinking the 200 series was less capable, had more electronics and was less reliable.

It comes down to do you want old technology and an old vehicle that your paying a premium for.

If you by new I would suggest a GVM upgrade before rego and being a new vehicle you can put an extended warranty on it for up to 6 years total warranty.

It if not hard to spend $8000 to $10000 on repairs on a older landcruiser.

And Phil why didn't you buy a 80 series instead of a 100 series..... think of all the money you could of save!

End of the day a 200 series is leaps and bounds in front of the 100 series.
FollowupID: 759605

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:40

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:40
???
FollowupID: 759611

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:00

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:00
I mucked that one up.

Peter:

A warranty is great but it won't help if the car breaks in the middle of the Simpson. The new "home" car we purchased before the Maxima broke down heaps of times and all under warranty. Luckily we were not in the bush. Saying that if ever we get around to buying another "home" car then it will be new. At least where it is used there isn't any problem if it breaks.

When looking for the 4WD, cost was not an issue as my illness had just been diagnosed and we immediately started planning a bucket list and the first thing was what to do it in. Nope! Cost was last on the list. Reliability and fit out was paramount.

We knew the history car and where and by whom ours had been maintained. We chose it because we knew it to be reliable. It was not cheap!

But I do understand why people buy new. They are then not buying other peoples troubles. You have to be careful buying anything second hand.

Phil
FollowupID: 759616

Reply By: fawkesp - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 21:03

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 21:03
Thanks to all for the comments.

We have decided to proceed and ordered a 200GX this morning.

Peter.
AnswerID: 485079

Sponsored Links