Caravan hire in Darwin

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 15:15
ThreadID: 95143 Views:2609 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I will be travelling to the Northern Territory from 27 July to 10 August 2012 and I am wanting to hire a comfortable 6-berth caravan with a toilet/shower from the 28 July to 9 August 2012 (I have my parents with me who are older citizens and I want to make it a comfortable and positive travelling experience with some flexibility instead of the usual accommodation arrangements).

We will be arriving and leaving from Darwin and wanting to explore the surrounding region including Kakadu, Katherine and travel to Kununurra and I have had no success with the local service providers. There was 1 option with Britz however they are now not able to provide the caravan - they and I were very disappointed.

We have been able to hire a 4WD vehicle and camper trailer however the preference is for a caravan especially due to my parents.

If there is anyone in Darwin or the surrounding region who has a caravan that would be available during this period and would be willing to rent us there's that would be great (not sure if this is even an option considering we are strangers and issues with insurance, etc.) or if you know of a company that does this from Darwin that would be great- so far I have had no luck and believe I have exhausted every option!

So here's hoping that there may be another option!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 16:19

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 16:19
JenRon - Try a search using "caravan hire" in the link below. You could also try companies selling caravans - sometimes they will do hire. Search "caravan sales" in Darwin.

I doubt whether you'll find a privately-owned hire 'van in Darwin. General road conditions around the NT means that any hirer must stipulate "sealed road use only" on a strict basis - and this precludes a lot of areas that people want to see.
In addition, only a very small number of people would want to hire a van they own.

Then there's the problem that the highest % of 'vans around Darwin would be camper trailers and off-road 'vans, because that's what is needed to see a lot of places up there.

Finally, without trying to be a total damp squib on your expectations - but you do realise that the time you have organised for visiting Darwin is the premium holidaying period? - and virtually anything that resembles accommodation, that can be rented in Darwin, is booked to the max, that time of year.

Try Torque Motor Group, Pinelands and B.M. Auto Sales, Stuart Park. The former is selling caravans, the latter advertises caravans for hire.

http://www.localdirectories.com.au/Darwin

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 484171

Reply By: JenRon - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 17:35

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 17:35
Thanks Ron N for your quick and comprehensive response - it is greatly appreciated. My partner and I have travelled extensively through NT, WA - the Kimberleys and SA and experienced desert crossings (which was just fantastic!) so we understand that need for off road transport capability (our previous trip 5 years ago was by 4WD and camping and after seeing all the different types of off road camper trailers fell in love with the Kimberley Camper however over the past few years have seen many other options!)

And yes we know that we are travelling during the peak season!!!

My primary focus was to give my parents a taste of the NT and after much consideration thought the combination of a 4WD and caravan was the best way instead of say a motor home (which didn't give any flexibility or opportunity to go off road to see some of the amazing places that are only accessible by 4WD). For example, I wanted to take them to El Questro by basing ourselves in a caravan park at Kununurra then driving in for a day or two.

I will follow up on your helpful leads and thanks once again for the advice and information you have given.

Kind regards, JenRon

AnswerID: 484183

Reply By: Frances - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 20:24

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 20:24
Why not buy a caravan and then sell it when you finish. If you buy it priced right you might even make some money on it when you sell it.
AnswerID: 484203

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 21:39

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 21:39
having lived in Darwin and have freinds up there i can totally agree on the above comments to the effect that getting someware to actually PUT the van is going to be the problem, now the gas project has been given the go ahead it is impossible to find a spot ......
Have you looked at the option of short term rental of a house, we have rented one in Darwin for 1 week and given it is totally incluisve of everything, power, water, gas for barbie, pool, parking fully equiped kitchen it was about $250 a night but we have all of us (5) and my sister with 2 of her kids as well .... fully a/c as well and you have ultimate privacy and security .... and ya own pool that DONT close ....
We used a web site called "Take a break" it was excellent and allows you to check and book on line ....
Given you have all the space you could want, you can buy your food, store it in there freezers and cook it at the house you probally will never go back to a caravan park again ........
We used it for a house on Maggie island, pool and spa, fully fenced, huge house and about 200 a night from memory ......
AnswerID: 484217

Sponsored Links