Fraser Isl camp fires

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 21:27
ThreadID: 95153 Views:2200 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can a member update me on fires or no fires on Fraser Isl?

Looking at going up for a couple of weeks shortly.

Thanks

David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 21:54

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 21:54
Hi you will find all the info here Site Link

No. Campfires are prohibited on Fraser Island.

This fire prohibition was implemented to:

prevent burn injuries
prevent escaped camp fires becoming wildfires
reduce rubbish, debris and environmental scars left by camp fire sites
reduce the risk of introduced pests and diseases being brought in with fire wood
prevent impacts of firewood gathering upon local ecology.
The only exception to this prohibition is in the communal fire rings provided by Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service at Dundubara and Waddy Point campgrounds. Campers wishing to use these fire rings must supply their own clean, untreated milled timber for firewood and firelighters for ignition. It is an offence to collect living or dead plant materials in the national park.

Rob

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484220

Follow Up By: Member - Witchdoctor - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 22:20

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 22:20
Now thats a real shame!

Its not really camping without a camp fire to sit around at night & discuss the days adventure.
Thanks for the update Rob
FollowupID: 759460

Reply By: Isuzumu - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 07:03

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 07:03
Hi David, you are allowed fires at Dunubara and Waddy Point camp grounds where fire rings are provided. Look under Dunubara camp ground on their Camping Information page.
AnswerID: 484239

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 07:07

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 07:07
It's always a downer for me not being able to have a fire there but there are enough other positives to outweigh the negative in my opinion. You can always camp in one of the camp grounds and make a fire in the provided fire rings.

AnswerID: 484240

Reply By: Member - Witchdoctor - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 07:21

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 07:21
Thanks
Bruce

Trol 81

We will be bush camping, looks like we will just sit around the gas burner to toast the marshmallows.

Fraser is a great location, we have not been for many years. I will have to get over the fire thing!

Cheers again

David
AnswerID: 484242

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:13

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:13
If you have a Cobb Cooker you can fire that up and cook on that that is probably as close as you will get to a real fire :)
FollowupID: 759502

Reply By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 08:22

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 08:22
No fires on Fraser apart from a couple of selected camp areas (Dunduburra is one, I think Waddy Point is the other).

I have stopped visiting there now. The drunk Irish backpackers can have it to themselves.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484248

Follow Up By: Kev - Member - Wynnum - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 16:11

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 16:11
Hi Jack,
I think you will find that the backpackers now all stay at Cathedral Beach. Since they are required to have a guide vehicle and no more that three other vehicles in the convoy their act has been cleaned up.
We were there in January, on the beach and April school holidays in Dundaburra and there were no backpackers to be seen. They were all really well behaved.
Kev
FollowupID: 759524

Follow Up By: Member - Witchdoctor - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 18:22

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 18:22
Fraser Isl the only camping location i've had camping gear stolen, more than likely drunk backpackers.

As we have not been for a number of years we are thinking of doing two weeks over Christmas holidays.

Cheers
David
FollowupID: 759547

Reply By: rumpig - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 21:08

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 21:08
you can have a fire on the beach, you just need to know the rules, but obviously a total fire ban is a total fire ban.
last year you could still have an open fire in a drum that was 300mm up above the sand to stop the sand from heating up, only thing was the fuel you used had to be a manufactured fuel, so sawdust logs, heat beads, compressed paper logs etc were acceptable, no timber allowed!!!. you then needed to remove the ash from the island when you left, it wasn't allowed to be buried in the sand.
recently the rules were changed and you can no longer have an open drum going on what is written now. if you have a fully inclosed burner like an Oz Pig type setup, then you can still have a fire of sorts whilst camped on the beach. i haven't checked what the fuel source rule is, but my guess is it would be the same as it used to be, and manufactured fuels only, not timber.
AnswerID: 484325

Follow Up By: rumpig - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 21:11

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 21:11
i forgot to mention...i know it says no fires allowed in the link posted up earlier, but that has always been written there, and you were allowed the setup we used mentioned earlier. i have had Rangers look at the drum last year and all they wanted to know was what we were burning in it, once shown the heatbeads and sawdust logs they were happy and left us alone. the people camped down from us burning timber in their fire were given a fine for doing so.
FollowupID: 759567

Sponsored Links