Narva plus 100 headlight globes

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 21:53
ThreadID: 95154 Views:7640 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm having a look at putting some H7 Narva plus 100 globes in the beast, and wondering if anybody has any experience with them or alternate brands? I don't want HID at this stage, but may look at them down the track. Having a look back through the threads, there's not a lot of recent commentary about them or the Phillips equivalent.
Cheers Ferris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 22:18

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 22:18
Ferris - What is the "beast"?. Be aware that it's not legal to install higher wattage globes in headlights, than what the vehicle comes with, from the factory. Be aware also, that many newer models use vast amounts of plastic in headlight construction - and these will suffer serious damage (melted reflectors - and even lenses, as numerous lenses are now acrylic, not glass) from the vastly increased heat output, of substantially higher wattage globes, than the factory originals.

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 484229

Follow Up By: ferris - Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 16:01

Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 16:01
The beast is actually my wife's little rocket and unfortunately my truck stays in the shed most of the time. The Narva plus 100's are the same wattage as conventional globes but use different gas/technology to achieve a higher level of brightness. Her car is a Ford Focus which gets used on country roads at night a fair bit. The low beam is marginally more useful than an ashtray on a motorbike. I realise it is not possible to go to a higher wattage globe as the wiring is not adequate, hence the research on globes that produce more light from the same power. Cheers Ferris
FollowupID: 759725

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 16:58

Saturday, Apr 28, 2012 at 16:58
Ferris - Ahh, O.K. - that clears it right up. Yes, I've done the same to the missus' Camry and my Holden 1-tonner - upgraded to 60W/55W H4 Osram Silverstars that were supposed to give out 50% more light than standard H4's.
They were O.K, but nothing startling - however, you could see a definite improvement. The Osrams were well made and performed and lasted with no problems.
Then I found some 60W/55W Jap-made Xenon H4's in the workshop that I'd picked up in a tyre shop closedown auction. These are excellent, you can really see the difference in lighting ability and the brightness. These have the blue colour appearance in the globe, but the light is really white.

So then, I thought I'd get cheap and try some Chinese Xenon ones off fleaBay. They were $6 each delivered.
I got 2 sets. I got what I paid for. [:-(

One crapped itself within a week, when the body of the globe fell apart (glass fell out of the metal section).
I complained to the seller, and he sent a replacement. 6 weeks later, a second Chinese globe crapped itself, with the high beam element blowing.
Since then, about 6 mths down the track, another one of the Chinese Xenon globes has crapped itself.
None of these globes were ever used on anything but sealed roads.

This has made me very keen about making sure that I know where the globes are made, before I buy any. Haven't tried any Narva Xenon globes yet, but I use a lot of Narva products in other lighting applications, and haven't had any problems with Narva quality.

Fleabay is full of hundreds of Xenon, HID, and exotic globe floggers - but I reckon you have to ask a lot of pertinent questions of these sellers, about where their globes are made, and what kind of warranty they offer.

I'm also of the opinion that a lot of Chinese globes suffer from poor focussing, as the Chinese Xenons in my 1-tonner, don't appear to be focussing as well as the Osrams were.

Cheers - Ron.
FollowupID: 759729

Follow Up By: ferris - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 22:57

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 22:57
Thanks Ron,

I bought some Narva plus 100's today, as they claim to be twice as bright as a conventional globe without any additional heat out put, so it will be interesting to see how they go. Once I got them home, I read the fine print that said they have a shorter life than conventional globes and Narva recommend their Plus 50 for extended use. Oh well, I'll install them on the weekend and see how they go. I'll provide some feedback after a couple of weeks of trying them out.

Cheers Ferris.
FollowupID: 759948

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 22:24

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 22:24
G'day ferris

I am not sure what the plus 100 globes do, I assume more light output but do they also have a higher wattage?
You didn't say what truck you have and if it has, modern composite plated reflectors.
If the reflectors are of a plastic material and not metal don't use higher wattages or you will fry the reflectors. Especially if the usage is at relatively low speeds where passing air isn't cooling the headlights much.
If the higher light output is by the use of a different gas and filament material and the running temp of the globe is no more than normal then it will be ok.

Ross M
AnswerID: 484232

Reply By: Bobba - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 22:38

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012 at 22:38
I have the Philips plus 100 in the Triton and Prado and they certainly make a difference, not enough to retire the driving lights but a welcome increase.

They are standard wattage too, they just have a mix of xenon gas with the halogen gas, so no drama legally or worrying about upgrading wiring or discolouring the reflector.

Cheers,
Mark.
AnswerID: 484236

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:50

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:50
One other thing to be aware of is that most of the japanese vehicles have a weirdo headlight switching arrangement where the headlights are switched on and off via a realy from the possitive supply but the high/low beam finction is done by grounding the appropriate filament via the indicator stalk mounted switch...wires go all the way back to the steering collumn.

The problem is the wiring and the switch are running close to the breeze and putting 100watt lamps in where there where lower wattages can result in loom or contact failures..serioulsy common.

OH BTW...H7 are no good to you at all unless the lamp housings are designed for them...they just wont fit..and if you adapted them they wont focus properly.

So if you have H4 lamps now you have to go for H4 lamps.

There have been improvements in halogen lamps in the last few years, and these can also be had in the lower wattages, the fillament can now be wound more accurately and closer together, the composition of the wire has been improved and they have fiddled with the gas and the glass the lamp is made of.

The improvements are not huge and they are not in fact much "brighter", but they appear to be to the human eye, the colour ballance is better........and the lamp will work better and more closely to spec.
Better for you and better for the bloke comming the other way.

If you want to upgrade to 100 watt high beams I strongly recommend you do a loom upgrade.......that will yeild improvements on its own, but it will certainly make the best of 100 watt high beams and keep the headlights within legal specs.

BTW...there is no legal way of fitting HID lamps into existing headlights......they will not work to specification and will cause problems for those comming the other way.

cheers
AnswerID: 484261

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 16:17

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 16:17
Pls also check the focus before and after the 'upgrade'. You might also have someone else drive your vehicle towards you before and after. I have found an increasing number of cars & SUVs that are quite dazzling at night. Generally they are not using high beam but I suspect have put in the higher rated bulbs that are not correctly focussed.

The mechanic that does all our roadworthy checks commented to me that in a recent RTA (NSW) circular they were told to pay particular attention to lights and look for upgrades.

cheers
AnswerID: 484281

Sponsored Links