Roll on Duco protection - Autoskin and the likes

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:55
ThreadID: 95160 Views:7097 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
There've been a few enquiries about paint protection of late and I am led to believe that one product, Scratchpro is no longer available.

The remaining PVA based roll on protectant, Autoskin is still available but has taken a bit of tracking down. The product is now by Gogreen Enterprises and the web link is attached below. They will still ship from QLD head office if you can't get it locally. Costs are $39 per 1 Litre bottle or $139 for the 4 litre bottle (or about 4 trips by my reckoning).

Auto Skin paint protector

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:52

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:52
Mick - What about the 3M Ventureshield Paint Protection Film? Never tried it, just found it in a search.
They reckon you leave it on for the life of the vehicle.
It comes in two thicknesses. Obviously, the thicker variety is for heavy duty applications, such as bush-bashing!

http://www.ducoscratch.com.au/clear_car_bra.asp

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 484262

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 14:07

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 14:07
Yes Ron but at $700 for enough to do the bonnet, front bumper and headlights of a Toyota Landcruiser and roughly $100 per Square metre after that, It's pretty exxy.

We're talking two different purposes here with the 3M being designed to keep your new vehicle in showroom condition with normal road use. The Autoskin/scratchpro are temporary sealants only to help prevent your paint work from taking a pounding in rough conditions and on rocky roads. $39 worth will cover your whole vehicle twice with a bit left over.

Works a treat.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 759515

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 15:11

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 15:11
Mick - Yow! - Yeah, I thought that the 3M product might have that cost problem. Never seen a 3M product yet, that isn't top class - but they always want your right arm and leg, plus your firstborn, for virtually anything they sell.

I've never tried any protection material for paint, it's an interesting concept. I've always just given any well-used vehicle a cut and polish before it got sold, and that generally removes the worst of the paint scars.

Cheers - Ron.
FollowupID: 759517

Reply By: Member -Ted - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 15:18

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 15:18
Hi Mick O

How good is it? Does it really work? I have just bought a Sahara LC 100 series and
I am a bit anal about getting it scratched at present (new car syndrome). Going on the Anne Beadell and beyond in August, wondering if I need to get some or not.

Cheers
AnswerID: 484274

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 16:21

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 16:21
Yes Ted it really works and works well. I wouldn't leave home without it. Two coats on with a small foam roller from Bunnings and the job is done. A bit of work with a pressure washer to get it off at the end of the trip but you will be amazed at the difference. I left an area uncoated two years back after the Gibson Desert jaunt and wish I had a photo to show the difference. I'll do so when the vehicle is back from the engineers. You will be amazed.

If you're worried about your duco, it's the best $39 you'll ever spend!

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 759530

Follow Up By: Member - GRANT HID(NSW) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 16:31

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 16:31
Hi Ted it works a treat i have used it a few times,last being on the hay River when we had thing scraping up the sides for 3 days,Huge dry rolly polly things and just over grown tracks.When i got back and cleaned the autoskin off the paint was perfect the canopy on the back which i didn't protect had scratches everywhere which doesn't worry me.
Like mick said the best $39 you can spend.

Cheers Grant
FollowupID: 759531

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 09:52

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 09:52
I have also used Autoskin and I can attest to it's value. On a trip through the Gunbarell, the bracket holding the ladder on the shippshape broke due to vibration and the ladder swung right down the side of the car. Ended up with only one scratch about 2cm long and through to the base coat of the paintwork from where the step hit the top of the door panel. I recon I got out of it very lightly in the circumstances.
Only problem I had with it was that I waited until I got home about 8 weeks later to clean it off and some was especially hard to remove.
I wish that I had put it on last year when we did the Hay River and Kitson tracks with the overgrown scrub.

Des
FollowupID: 759608

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 17:09

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 17:09
Thanks Mick, for tracking them down, I though they had gone bust.

Auto Skin never leave home without it.

Image Could Not Be Found
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484291

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 22:34

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 22:34
Cheers Phil. I had a bit of a chat to John Gregory (MD of GoGreen) today about the product and was much relieved to find that he is still committed to manufacturing & supplying the product. Might have to talk to Adele and see if the EO shop will become a distributer.

Think it's Scratchpro that's gone belly up.

Cheers Mick

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 759583

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 17:58

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 17:58
There is a similar product that they apply to the walls of spray booths and remove periodically and is a lot cheaper.
Can't remember the product name offhand but you get it from spray painters and panelbeaters supplies , there would be a number of brands out there
We use it to protect windows and frames on building sites against bricklayers and render mortar t
Can apply with a cheap airless spray gun or a roller and we remove with hi pressure water (gernie) about 25% of the price and appears to be the same product
AnswerID: 484302

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:07

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:07
A product name would be great Alby. Any chance of you digging one up and posting back?

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760113

Reply By: SDG - Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 19:23

Thursday, Apr 26, 2012 at 19:23
A spraypainter friend of mine gave me a demonstrationa few years back of a paint product that a sales rep was trying to sell the business he works for.

He had a panel painted with this stuff that we hit with a hammer. Several times.

Panel was dented, but no scratches, chips, etc on the paintwork.

Apparently only good for a total new spray job on vehicle as it is an addidive to the paint.
AnswerID: 484310

Reply By: andoland - Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 08:37

Friday, Apr 27, 2012 at 08:37
There is also this stuff called Autogoop

http://goopguys.com.au/product_details.php?id=9

A friend had it on his 200 series when we did the Canning last year and it worked great.
AnswerID: 484347

Sponsored Links