Dirty Fuel resolution

Submitted: Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 17:51
ThreadID: 9518 Views:3318 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
A friend advised recently that some of the fuel in the more remote stations / roadhouses is pretty dirty, and that adding a small amount (100ml) of metho in the fuel tank works to attract the dirt and stops it messing up the engine. Is this true?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 18:26

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 18:26
mmmmmmmmm...dunno about the dirt part but my chemistry days would make me think that the 'meths' would maybe acting as a water 'scavenger' and absorb a small amount of moisture perhaps... And I would suggest if in fact the 'metho' was acting as a 'scavenger' then the clear without Pyridene (the purple stuff) would be better....IPA (Iso Propyl Alcohol) would do it (absorb moisture) better.
AnswerID: 41848

Reply By: crowie - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 18:27

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 18:27
Rob H

I don't have the specific answer and I have heard of most ideas. Sounds like an urban myth but could stand corrected. I think metho was once added to deisel to make up extra fuel because it was cheaper and assisted with cold starting. If your using petrol or diesel in the circumstances I wouldn't be relying on anything but a good funnel with a fine filter the fuel and using it. Also make sure you have a good fuel filter in the vehicle. For diesels there are after market pre-filters and water traps that can be installed between the fuel tanks and the vehicles primary fuel filter. Most of these come with a clear bowl and these will trap most particlulates and any water before it gets to your primary filter. They are about $180 / $200 fitted at most. Hopefully the primary filter will also do what it is meant to do providing it is changed regularly. These pre filters have the advantage of having a clear bowl and if placed in the right position can be viewed and emptied of any rubish and water before it can do any damage.
AnswerID: 41849

Reply By: Brian - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 19:27

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 19:27
Metho is what we used in the old days in petrol or diesel to remove the moisture in the fuel. Now-a-days fuel additives can be purchace relitavely cheaply that do the same thing. However I don't believe that it would have any effect on the dirt in the fuel , for that a good filter is required!!!!!!!

Brian
AnswerID: 41853

Reply By: maverick - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 19:49

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 19:49
Rob, As those above said - metho is used (sort of) to remove/reduce the water. Filters are used to remove dirt. Additives are used to break down the 'bugs' in diesel to help them move through into the filter. If it is a petrol then it will still burn only a bit rough. If it is a diesel it will eventually starve of fuel. If one of these new computer controlled petrol/diesels then the O2 sensor will tell the computer to sort itself out and then go into limp mode - and if no limp mode then hope you have plenty of filters handy. rgds
AnswerID: 41854

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 23:05

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 23:05
Rob,
A good idea if you think the fuel may be dirty, is to leave at least 10%-20% of fuel in the tank. If you use the last few percent, the fuel sloshing around stirs up even more sediment, and can block the filter a lot quicker.

And carry at least one spare fuel filter,

Hooroo...
AnswerID: 41881

Follow Up By: StephenF - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:03

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:03
The fuel starts sloshing around as soon as you reverse out of your driveway and, as fuel is drawn from near the bottom of the tank, any rubbish will be drawn out fairly quickly whether the tank is full or not. I recently had a look inside a 20 year old diesel tank when I had to replace the sender unit and it was sparkling clean.

Stephen.
FollowupID: 304351

Follow Up By: chrisfrd - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:34

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:34
Modern Diesels that I've had anything to do with draw their fuel from the base of the sender unit, in other words they "skim" fuel from the top.

The return line from the pump flows in at the base of the tank. On my Patrol, the return rate (recovery rate) of the system is around 40L per hour at 22PSI (1 bar?) so any sediment in the tank is going to get collected by the filter, no matter what, after a few hours, as the fuel is forcibly stirred through the tank - Even if the truck is running and stationary!

Chris Ford.
FollowupID: 304363

Follow Up By: StephenF - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 21:02

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 21:02
Sorry Chris, I'm having trouble visualising that. How does it work? An outlet that "skimmed from the top" would have to move up and down with the float. If it _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx from a fixed point it would have to be low down to use the full capacity of the tank.

Stephen.
FollowupID: 304423

Follow Up By: chrisfrd - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:12

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:12
The float assembly has a screen fitted to it, also, the intake is below the fuel line at all times. This allows the fuel to be drawn from just above said line.

I seem to remember that the Patrol is like this, the cruiser different, with the fuel lines coming from another point on the tank (similar theory though).

One advantage to this system is that it keeps the fuel lines out of harms way.
FollowupID: 304486

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 12:25

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 12:25
I use a product called " Diesel power plus" & it does what it says on the package. It costs about $30 a litre but I only need about 25 ml per tank so it is ecomomical. I get better power when towing and I get better cold weather starts. The main ingredient is Iso butyl alchohol....
AnswerID: 41932

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 14:37

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 14:37
Metho will have no effect on dirt - only a good filter will catch that. If you're really worried about it consider installing a second filter. Metho in petrol (and I assume diesel) mixes with the water allowing it to get through the system without too many hassles.
If the fuel in the stations and roadhouses is so dirty how do you reckon the locals keep on trucking?
AnswerID: 41959

Sponsored Links