Jayco Outback Discovery

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 21:31
ThreadID: 95244 Views:2796 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have owned 2 Jayco camper-trailers but have unfortunately reached the age where I need to consider upgrading to a pop-top.

I have been looking at the Jayco Outback Discovery - single axle. I realise that these are not full-on off-road RVs but I am keen to at least venture off the highways if the need arises.

Can any owners, or members who know an owner, of a Discovery please offer feedback? Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 06:27

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 06:27
I have a Sterling Outback. As many have said in the past.Drive to the conditions and the Jayco product is as good a value for money as you will find on the market. The cabinet material is a bit flimsy but apart from the microwave shelf has all held together over some pretty rough roads/tracks. Cheers, Bob

AnswerID: 484592

Reply By: member-PradoMad - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 08:16

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 08:16
check the Jayco forum out...
JS.

http://forum.jayco.com.au/forumMessages.asp
AnswerID: 484599

Follow Up By: pmacks - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:24

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:24
Hi Mate
we have a Jayco Freedom off road pop top only a small one at 15' but it has gone every where we have wanted to take it such as Gibb river rd, tanami, plenty hgy and birdsville track to name a few, and we have had no issue with it but we do let the tyres down on the van to around 25 psi when off road and in our experience this works with the suspension to damper the corrigations a bit :) we are happy with it but i think the trick is to drive to the conditions
Pmacks
FollowupID: 759882

Reply By: Keith Q - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 23:43

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 23:43
Hi Gary
We bought a new single axle Discovery about a year ago. (Its not an Outback version.) Its a great design. However after about 1000km on a good bitumen road the Steel pantry shelves collapsed inside the cupboard. I repaired them with quite a degree of difficulty and replaced the inadequate screws with small bolts. They won't collapse again.
Another trip on good bitumen and this time the shelf supporting the microwave collapsed. The plastic brackets supporting the shelves had holes for four screws each but only two scews were fitted per bracket. And they were too short. The whole shelf was supported by just two small brackets. The local dealer gave me extra brackets and I doubled the quantity and fitted scews to all the holes. It should not collapse again.
I am an extremely careful driver, especially with a van behind me, and I always treat equipment with great care.

I wrote to Jayco (with a comprehensive report, including photos) and complained, but did not even get a formal response, just a few lines on an E Mail. Thats after spending nearly $40k buying the van.

As I said, its a lovely van but even if you buy an Outback version, I would take a good look at the way the cabinets are put together before I took it anywhere near an unpaved road.

Have fun!
AnswerID: 484679

Sponsored Links