Ellis Beach - FNQ

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 21:58
ThreadID: 95248 Views:2470 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I visited Ellis Beach, north of Cairns 13 years ago on one of our Long Service trips and have often wondered is it still a beautiful, untouched caravan park where you could back your van up, virtually to the sand.

Has anyone visited there lately that you give me an update? We are hoping to visit there again later in the year - if it has been 'left alone' by developers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - OnYaBike - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 22:44

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 22:44
I drove past Ellis Beach today. You can still camp on the beach.
It is tidier if anything and I wouldn't be surprised if the amenities have been updated. But I've never camped there so couldn't say. The road is upgraded with a safety island on the crossing from the beach to the shop. It is now 60km/hr through that whole stretch rather than the 80 it used to be for most of it.
It's funny but you never take advantage of the facilities on your doorstep. Too close. But not that many places offer camping on the beach with a feeling of isolation yet 15 minutes from a major shopping centre.
I would steer clear of school holidays when it can be crowded but looked very quiet today.
AnswerID: 484575

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 08:53

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 08:53
Ellis Beach Caravan Sites

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484600

Reply By: Ray 3 - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:11

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:11
Perhaps I shouldn't pose this query, but I was under the impression that a 'gay' campground was around that area and assumed it must been Ellis Beach, obviously my mistake but it does prove how hearsay can divert ones opinions on something.
AnswerID: 484613

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:47

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:47
Ray, it is surprising what information can be found on Google!

From Cairns Unlimited:

"At the very southern end of Ellis Beach is Buchans Point, a popular (unofficial) 'clothes optional' beach. As you travel north along the Cook Highway, you'll see the carpark on the beach side of the road between Palm Cove and Ellis Beach. It is then just a short walk south to the beautiful sandy beach backed by cliffs and the highway. It's a small, protected beach that's popular with the locals and interstate visitors, and The Cairns Sunboys (a nude social group for gay men) and the Barrier Reef Sun Club. Although Buchans Beach has been recognised as a nude beach since the 1950's, please remember that nude sunbathing is actually illegal in Queensland; a recent move to legalise it was blocked by the State Government."

There is more specific available on Google.

Disclaimer: No association etc. etc.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 759890

Sponsored Links