water conservation on the CSR

Hi all, Just Pre trip packing for the CSR, because of the extended time in the middle of DINGO WOOPWOOP how much Fresh water to take, we use a 70lt ARB water bladder and will take an empty 20lt for the bore water but for the daily ablutions splash & dash? how good are these H2NO towels to knock the crusty bits off. cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:40

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:40
We use those 500ml trigger spray/squirter bottles when in remote areas, good for a quick rinse of the morning coffee cup and hands after comfort stops, we actually have two, one with straight water and one with a dash of antiseptic.
For showering use your 5L garden sprayer filled with water to a temperature of your choice. You should be carrying one anyway in spinifex country for under vehicle fire control, can also have a dash of detergent for fire extinguisher purposes, makes the water stick better.
AnswerID: 484615

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:41

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:41
How long is a piece of string. All depends on how long do you plan on being on the track? Travel times can vary from 10 to 30 days - plus mishaps. How much is your normal daily use? How many people?

There is good water at Georgia bore.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484616

Reply By: Mudguard - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:33

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:33
thanks we have over the years used a solar shower (2adults+2kids) but have decided to be conservative (only us NO KIDS!!now) with the washing will have to practice on the wife with the spray bottle idea?.Speaking of spray bottles for a fire extinguisher I use a length of hose coupled to an air tank to syphon water out of the 20lt jerry at a 100psi it works like a soda bottle
AnswerID: 484621

Reply By: rocco2010 - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:36

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:36
Gidday

One of the surprising things about the CSR may be the amount of water available. I haven't travelled the full length and itt was a few years ago, but just off the top of my head there was good water in restored wells at 12 and 15, water at Durba Spring, Georgia Bore and wells 26 and 33. Others more experienced than me may have more info.

You would not want to rely on these sources for drinking water (though with treatmen it may be OK) but for washing it would be fine. How much you need for a shower is purely personal ... I would hate to out there with teenagers! A bucket and rope was needed at some of the wells. Finding wood for a fire to heat the water near one of these wells might be harder than fetching the water.

The CSR is a great experience (corrugations notwithstanding) and I hope you enjoy the trip.

Cheers

Rocco

AnswerID: 484622

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 13:57

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 13:57
Mudguard - A good guide is 4 litres per person per day for drinking, you can get away with the same for washing if you're extremely careful.
We only had belt mounted water bottles for washing AND drinking in the Jungles of Noggieland!
My old Sgt was pretty good at describing the ABC's of washing with a water bottle! ( [under]Arm, Bum and Crotch!) [:-)

It sounds to me as if you have adequate supply in the amounts you mentioned.
If you find some surplus clean rainwater puddles, or other supply such as a good well, you can lash out on a bush shower.
This could be described as "discretionary" water use.

Be aware that clean, pure drinking water is the main priority. Often, with a well, the water may be contaminated, so boiling or filtration is important.
I've known people pulling water from a well on dusk - using it for drinking and cooking - then finding a carcass floating in the well in broad daylight! [:-)

It's not the first time, either, that I've I employed a clean rainwater puddle, pumped through the Glind HWS to get a good quick hot shower!

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 484630

Reply By: Mudguard - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 14:20

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 14:20
thanks again been reading the blogs and others trek reports on the wells etc should come in ok
AnswerID: 484633

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 15:04

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 15:04
In reply to your specific question I bought a couple of packs of the H2No Towels for my last trip. The towel is good quality cloth and 600mm x 300mm in size and adequate for most peoples wash but I found them a bit dry for a really good wash so I added water to them. Washed out and allowed to dry they were very handy as a duster in the car.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484639

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 15:48

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 15:48
Mudguard,

Don't forget to take some "Truckie's Bath", a large container of talcum powder, of your own preference.

Can be used with Ron's "Arm, Bum, Crotch" method, as long as you aren't too dirty.

Enjoy the trip,
Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484643

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 16:59

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 16:59
Hey Bob,

Tell them the real truth.You know and I know that we used Lavender oil, so if we found a pretty lass at a truck stop she would thing we smelt like roses. LOL.

The thongs and singlet always gave use away.

Keep it safe,
RA.

FollowupID: 759898

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 21:01

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 21:01
Ha ha, I like that, RA.

Back in the days before air cons, eh? The lavender oil reminded me of a quick splash of Old Spice, to "freshen up". Or even worse, Brut!!!

Ah, shouldn't have mentioned that latter one. The thought of Brut, mixed with excessive body odour, nearly made me lose my supper. UGH!!!

Enjoy the LSL, and stay safe,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 759920

Reply By: Will 76 Series - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 20:03

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 20:03
G'day Mudguard,

As stated the drinking water is the priority, but you have eneogh in what you have planned. We did the CSR with a party of 3 x vehicles and 6 of us. I would say atliest every second day we had a wash, some in the party had a wash everyday. We took advantage of the wells with good water by filling a bucket for each person and using a large cup as a pourer (away from the well site). Women first, lads next. If it was cold we boiled a kettle of water and threw it in the bucket to have a warm wash. Most of the time half to a full bucket of water was more than eneogh using the dip/cup method. It makes a great difference having a wash at the end of each day. I would also suggest not to get locked into having a wash at the traditional time in the evening. Sometimes it is warmer in the middle of the day but also it may be during the day that you come across the most convenient water supplies. Most campsites we had to ourselves, so no issues with privacy.
It is a fantastic trip, just take it easy and check your equipment and vehicle each day.
Regards Will

AnswerID: 484662

Reply By: Member - Geoff B (WA) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 09:14

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 09:14
Hi Mudguard
When we did the CSR, we found enough water for a quick shower everynight. Turn the water on, off. soap up and then a quick rinse off. We have a 20lt bucket that will easily do six people with some left over for a face wash in the morning. We have a stainless steel bucket that we just put straight on the fire to heat the water.
I also find that baby wipes are another great way to have a 'wash'. They freshen you up in a jiffy.
Sue B
AnswerID: 484690

Follow Up By: Mudguard - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 11:47

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 11:47
thanks Geoff
we'll go with our same routine we,ve used for years then we wanted to be sure if there was'nt any" campsite etiquete" involved, we use those Sorbent Kleen&fresh towels and stuff the used ones in an old MILO tin in our spare tyre rubbish bin, I recon those H2NOs arenot the go
FollowupID: 759978

Reply By: Villatranquilla - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 15:56

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 15:56
we always take nappy wipes for a freshen up when water conserving and burn them in the campfire
AnswerID: 484715

Reply By: andoland - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:50

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:50
Our family of 4 took a 55 litre water tank plus a 20 litre jerry can. There is good washing water a several wells (Pierre Springs, Durba Springs, well 46, Windich Spring) and there is drinking water at Georgia bore (well 22) where you can refill your tanks.
There is also drinking water at Kunawarritji and at Well 33.
AnswerID: 484741

Follow Up By: andoland - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:53

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:53
Meant to add that we take along packets of baby wipes plus face wipes. Give the face a wipe each evening and morning to feel clean and fresh. The girls tend to use the baby wipes for a wipe down every couple of days.
FollowupID: 760006

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 06:49

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 06:49
Mudguard
When we did the Canninng, in 09, we took 120 lts of water with us, and used it sparingly. SWMBO would be happy washiing her hair, every 2nd day, and baby wipes were used whenever needed. I just did the same.
As soon as we found good drinkable water, (and there has been a big effort to re-open bores, with suprisingly good results.)

We would use 1 or 2 jerry's full, cleaning ourselves then equipment. THEN REPLACE THAT WATER, IMMEDAITELY, from the bore.

Georgia bore is still the best water about (ever)
Cheers Bucky
AnswerID: 484780

Sponsored Links