Exploding caravan stories......hope next time its not you!

Submitted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 10:45
ThreadID: 95282 Views:3917 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just running on from another thread

This one http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/95168/Exploding_caravan.aspx?ky=&sn=&p=%2fForum%2fDefault.aspx%3fpn%3d4

A poster mentioned to google "caravan explodes" or "caravan blows up"

Just to show that this is a far more common occurance than lots would like to believe, I'll throw up some links and quotes.

Just to draw attention on hwo carefull we need to be when out caravanning and camping.

CIG BLAST HORROR; Woman critical after caravan blows up.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/CIG+BLAST+HORROR%3B+Woman+critical+after+caravan+blows+up.-a091529104

A WOMAN was fighting for her life last night after a massive gas explosion at a caravan park.

She suffered 40 per cent burns as the mobile home was ripped apart yesterday morning.

It's thought the blast was triggered when her partner lit a cigarette which ignited leaking gas cylinders.

The pair were blown out of the caravan on to the road.

Elderly Widnes couple's lucky escape as caravan blows up

http://www.runcornandwidnesweeklynews.co.uk/runcorn-widnes-news/runcorn-widnes-local-news/2010/09/23/elderly-widnes-couple-s-lucky-escape-as-caravan-blows-up-55368-27327481/

A COUPLE from Widnes say they are lucky to be alive after the holiday camp they were staying at was rocked by an explosion in a suspected arson attack.

Mike and Beryl Sylvester of Brandon were enjoying an evening with friends near their touring caravan at the Ty Mawr camp site near Abergele at 10.50pm last Tuesday when a neighbouring caravan caught fire.

The blaze spread to the van’s gas bottles and caused a ‘massive’ explosion which rained down sparks and flames on the couple’s caravan and surrounding tents.

(personally I doubt the arson idea)


Family loses lot in caravan fire

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2009/12/31/85415_local-news.html

A GRANDMOTHER and her three grandchildren lost everything including their Christmas presents when their caravan was reduced to ash in an early morning blaze at Manoora yesterday.



Of course most caravan fires and explosions would not make the news or would not stay up on line for very long.

anybody else got stroies and pictures.

cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 11:35

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 11:35
Most interesting thing on this post is the last link in Cairns - then click on the photos link - then click on the link of the snake eating spider..... impressive golden orb spider there....
AnswerID: 484700

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 11:38

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 11:38
snkae eating spider
0
FollowupID: 759977

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 11:40

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 11:40
G'day Bantam,

Back in the '80's, ran a tank sinking plant for a pastoral company for about 6 years.

We were working on Avon Downs at the time, and had just shifted down to a new site, to build a turkey's nest, to water 3 paddocks. Arrived on site late morning, set up camp, and had an extended dinner time, before marking out the nest, and borrow pits, in the arvo. Planned to work all night, once it was all marked out.

As we relaxed in the 'van, we had the generator going and there was a faint smell of melting plastic. Wasn't really alarmed until the power went off. Gennie was still going, so reset the RCD, and it dropped out again. Thought that the plastic smell could only come from the electrolux fridge, and on opening the cupboard below the fridge, saw a small gas flame burning on one of the joins just back from the actual flame. And this feral flame was immediately under the 240v junction box. That was the cause of the melting plastic!!!

Re-tightened all the joints, using some Loctite 567 (great stuff - better than bloody thread tape) and never had a another problem with the gas. Did have to change the junction box though, for the odd times when we ran the fridge on 240v.

To this day, still shudder when I think of it, what might have happened if the RCD hadn't tripped out, while we were still in the 'van. If we'd have left the 2 daughters in the 'van, because they didn't want to come down with us to mark out? Just lucky I guess, at least luckier than some, that have lost everything.

No wonder I still don't like gas fridges, no matter how efficient they are.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484701

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 13:52

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 13:52
Going back a long time: With my family, we were purchasing a camper van in UK to tour UK and Europe, and had pre-arranged the purchase. Fridges were all gas only. There was a tragedy in England when a gas leak in one of these camper vans allowed gas to spread along the floor until it somehow reached the fridge pilot light. A family of five lost their loves. That particular model was taken off the market and we had to select a different one, however the same could have happened with any of them. We NEVER lit that fridge, not in six month of touring overseas, nor on any of trips in Australia by various family members spanning many years. Better to manage without a fridge.

Gas leaks did occur in ours. Gas bottles were initially inside the van (something we had to change as soon as we got to Australia) but an in line leak could occur. We were camped near Venice and it was a bit of a backwater with seaweed piling on the beach, and i put the unpleasant smell down to that. I woke with a severe headache. It turned out that one of the gas bottles (under my bed - which was right near the fridge) was leaking considerably; something had come loose. When in Australia we had a gas line to to stove sever in travel, and had there been an explosion, even in the driving an passenger seats, we were still effectively inside the camper with no division. On both occasions we were very thankful we had made the decision not to light that fridge.

We also once tried to save a caravan which went up in flames very suddenly near where we lived. Fortunately the owner was out at work at the time.

Paranoid? Yes i am - but i think you will understand why.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484712

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 17:52

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 17:52
Gas in caravans scares the willies out of me.......not only because its gas but because the risk management and the attention to detail is so often lacking.

If there is gass plumbing, It should remain outside the cabin as much as possible and be solidly protected against stones and the like.
And only enter the cabin to directly access the appliance.

There should be no unnecessary joins
There should be an isolation valve for every appliance and before evey flexible hose.

Jack abslaom addressed the fridges exploding thing in his videos in the 80s.......so much the fridge was getting the blame, but mostly the fridge was a patsy.....sure the fridge fired the bullet, but it did not load the gun or select the target...the leak or fault soo often is somewhere else but the fridge.

Jack was a strong believer in isolating everything but the fridge before going to bed, going out or moving the van.

Interesting that even in the 80's caravans exploding or burning was sufficiently common that Jack would see the need to mention it.

People also seem more wreckless with their caravan, they would never consider doing gas or electrical work in their homes but they will happily fiddle with the same in their caravan.

I am affraid if you purchase a used caravan you have to assume that someone unlicenced has been working on it and expect it to be faulty and dangerous untill proven otherwise.

cheers
0
FollowupID: 759995

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:29

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:29
Bantam, some very good points you have mentioned.
BW.
0
FollowupID: 760017

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)