Trans Access Road-Rawlinna-Kalgoorlie

Hi

This may be a dumb question but I've never travelled it so I don't know - does this PAR run to the south of the rail line or to the north of it?

On Google earth the one to the south looks wide enough to carry 4 lanes of heavy traffic! The one to the north however is just a track.

Which is which???

Geo
It looks like a great alternative to going up the Connie Sue 'Highway" then west for us. We want some outback adventure but now I've got a C/T to tow I don't want to wreck anything traversing kilometers of boulders and/or 'ruts'. People seem to really rate the Trans Access Road highly.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 14:52

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 14:52
Hi 222

The road is south of the railway line and it is a great drive, with ever changing vegetation. It is quite dense in sections and around an hour west of Rawlinna in changes back into bluebush plains.

Enjoy the drive

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484713

Follow Up By: 222 - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 15:04

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 15:04
Hi Stephen

Thanks for that.

I've read your replies to other posts with great interest including those on the Connie Sue. Your pics are very informative and provide an accurate and realistic insight into the conditions to expect.

Thanks for that.

Geo
FollowupID: 759991

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:42

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:42
Hi Geo

Sorry that I rushed my reply today, but here is a better idea of what you can expect.

Firstly as this very good road runs parallel to the railway line, you will have 100% Telstra phone coverage all the way.

You will be surprised on the frequency and the size of the train that pass by.

You must stay at least one night in some unreal camping areas, but be warned the trains do run 24/7. We had at least 3 trains pass by during the evening and I had just gone to sleep, when I thought that a train was going straight through our camp and made me sit up straight away in the swag. After that I did not stir, but sub consciously heard 4 more trains pass by during the night.

We only saw 1 other vehicle pass by heading east. It was a station vehicle and he was moving quite well.

The change in vegetation is quite remarkable, from dense tall timber through to Bluebush plains.

Here some images of what the road was like, and as Fiona said at the time, it was one of here best camping locations, it just had that perfect feel about the area and it is one drive that I have no hesitation in recommending.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760026

Follow Up By: Member - Ian G (NSW) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 23:26

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 23:26
G,day Stephen.
In your opinion, would this track be suitable for an off road c'van (Phoenix 19' dual axle) towed by 100 series T/D?
Regards,
Ian
FollowupID: 760036

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 07:59

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 07:59
Hi Ian

Like all dirt roads and tracks, they do close the road when it is wet so it does not get cut up, but when it is dry, it is a first class road to drive and any vehicle could safely travel this road, even my sons Magna or even a Mini...

It all depends on where you want to head when you get to Rawlinna, either north for the Connie Sue, or south to Cocklebiddy, and this is when the Magna or Mini would have to turn back, purely for lack of ground clearance over some of the slow going rocky ground, that is not problem for any vehicle with higher ground clearance.

Either way it is a very pretty drive and you would have no problems in the dry.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760049

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:41

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:41
GEO don't let the Connie Sue frighten you. It's a great run and easily traversed with a good quality camper. You can aviod the slow first 100km north from Rawlinna by taking the Cable Haul Road (mind you, you miss out on Rawlinna if you do that ;-)

Video's & blogs might give you an idea of what to expect.

Connie Sue down to Neale Junction

Connie Sue through Neal Junction and south

Connie Sue Premier Downs to Rawlinna and Cocklebiddy

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 484746

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:26

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:26
Cool videos Mick O.

Did you drive wreck the building by driving passed too fast in the mighty patrol?

They all look like great trips.

BW.
FollowupID: 760016

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:26

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:26
Cheers BW. Nope, time and tide did the damage, I was purely passing thru. It was a lot of fun out there and the chance to travel on any of Len Beadells outback roads is one to be enjoyed.

Glad you enjoyed them.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760023

Reply By: Member - *Rusty* - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:01

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:01
We travelled the Trans access road 2 weekends ago for the Nullabour Muster with about 600 other people from Kalgoorlie. Road was great and we towed our Adventure CT no worries. People we went with towed a GIC and we saw a 26ft caravan with boat on the car roof rack out there.

Road trains with cattle and water trucks go out there no worries. I cant help with info past Rawlinna but the road to there was pretty good and graded just before the muster.

Bit of rain and as will all dirt roads around here it would turn to mush pretty quick.

Have a great trip!
AnswerID: 484849

Reply By: Member - *Rusty* - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:04

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:04
We travelled the Trans access road 2 weekends ago for the Nullabour Muster with about 600 other people from Kalgoorlie. Road was great and we towed our Adventure CT no worries. People we went with towed a GIC and we saw a 26ft caravan with boat on the car roof rack out there.

Road trains with cattle and water trucks go out there no worries. I cant help with info past Rawlinna but the road to there was pretty good and graded just before the muster.

Bit of rain and as will all dirt roads around here it would turn to mush pretty quick.

Have a great trip!
AnswerID: 484852

Reply By: 222 - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 13:10

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 13:10
Thanks for all the replies

Geo
AnswerID: 484894

Reply By: The other Norm C (WA) - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 23:02

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 23:02
It's a very good road I was out there at Easter.You could drive to Rawlinna in a Commodore unless it rains Good drive and leads to the Connie Sue
Norm
AnswerID: 485173

Sponsored Links