inverters

Hi, I am looking to buy a 2000w pure sine wave good quality inverter can anyone recommend or give me any feed back with brands that they have had experience with.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:37

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:37
G'day Carol & Bob
What sort of use are you intending to put the inverter to work on?
If using a bigger inverter it also has bigger ferrite parts inside and if the ferrite cores aren't tied down properly and are used in rough travel they can damage internal componentry.
Seen this with one I fitted to truck.

2000watt inverters are more efficient if the power source is made as a 24v dc supply.
With 12dc to 240vac the current12v current usage is 23 or 24 times the ac amperage use.
With 24vdc to 240vac the current usage is a bit less than half the 12vdc by proportion and the efficiency is therefore better.
A bit of thinking and research needed to get the best for your useage.
Other will have advice when you let us know what the intended use is to be.

Ross M
AnswerID: 484744

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:49

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:49
We use and recommend Cotek, with inverters you pay for what you get and weight is a good indication.

http://www.cotek.com.tw/pro.html

There are many others who have used cheaper one and find the work a treat.
AnswerID: 484748

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:05

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:05
Just a thaught.....do you have an idea of how much current an inverter of that size draws and how big a battery bank you need to support it.

A 2000 watt inverter at full steady load will be drawing in the vacinity of 180-200 amps......thats more than many starter motors.

On start up under load it may draw twice that.

that means very heavy wires and very big batteries

even running on 24 volts its still a very high energy demand.

I ask the question soo many times........do you realy need it.

If you realy need 2000watts of poeratble 240 volt power you probably need a generator.

Chances are you probaly don't need the 240 volt devices in the first place.

cheers
AnswerID: 484750

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:57

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:57
As has been said you really need to work out what you wish to run on 240v.
We have a Xantrex 1800w PSW inverter which works very well, runs the 1,000w electric kettle, normal sunbeam toaster and an 1800w (max, has 10 power levels 200-1800w) inductive cooktop plus all the normal plugpacks.
AnswerID: 484756

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:14

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:14
I forgot to add we've got 480ah of batteries and 500w of solar to charge it in the Oka.
FollowupID: 760022

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 21:45

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 21:45
Now others please note.

This bloke is running a heavy inverter, but he has batteries bigger than the fridges most of us carry and weigh more than an out of condition football player.

Oh and the zantrax inverter is probably worth more than a good used comadore.

And he will be a bit carefull how he uses it.

If you are going to play this game.... ya cant fiddle about.

cheers

FollowupID: 760110

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 07:41

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 07:41
Remember though we are in a small motorhome in the Oka and it isn't really camping as such.
Generators are a PITA and are banned in lots of NP's etc, require fuel etc where solar is silent, never wears out and in our setup is the ONLY source of charging for the batteries which do weigh around 120kgs.
The inverter cost about the same as a 2k gennie.
FollowupID: 760132

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:36

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:36
Hi Carol & Bob

I know you asked a straight forward question so I will give my experience. I bought a 1000w inverter with a 2000w peak and it serves me very well. I have it mounted in my camper and taken it over some rough and ready roads. I bought it from 'bit deals' on ebay. I don't think they still have that particular one. They also have a lot of other gear and I have read a lot of people on this site have purchased gear from them with good results. I have also purchase a few of the solar panels and controllers and been very happy.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Bit-Deals/Pure-Sine-Inverters-/_i.html?_fsub=1750571018&_sid=302026428&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

I have also read people buy from 'ozplaza living' but I have not purchased from them.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sine-Wave-Power-Inverter-1000w-2000w-12v-240v-/251050484975?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a73c664ef

The points others have raised about how much power do you need are valid. When you find you need over 1000w you really should be looking at a generator to make it cost effective and practically efficient.

I presume you want to run a power hungry device like airconditioner or larger fridge. Either of these will be run for quite a time and will require massive battery storage and unrealistic recharging times. Just friendly advice to look at your options and not get drawn into the technology just because it is there.

Regards

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484765

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 10:57

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 10:57
HI
Quote" Just friendly advice to look at your options and not get drawn into the technology just because it is there.
Regards
Serendipity [end quote]

That is the best advise so far!!

This craze for inverters without looking at the real need, the size of the battery bank & recharging requirements ,the risks of 240v ,etc , seems to be getting out of hand.
The first question anyone should ask of themselves is " DO I REALLY NEED ONE"???
Or is it simply getting caught up with sales spiel & the false believe you cannot be without one

Most devices /appliances that can sensibly used with the limitedbattery power available are available in 12v
Much more efficient on energy use[less conversion losses],safer

If you do decide to buy such a high power inverter then you should seriously consider having it correctly , permanently wired into the van 240v system so that you have a fully operational RCD[safety switch]

[Your safety switch is not functional when the inverter is just plugged into the van wiring]

That work SHALL only be done by a licensed electrician & in accordance with AUS Standard 3001:2008

The common /general practise of plugging into the van via the van power inlet has the potential for faults occurring with the van RCD giving NO PROTECTION against shock

A small inverter with a only ONE class 1 appliance [3pin plug ] connected, is relatively safe , but each additional class 1 devise connected encreases the risk of a potentialy deadly fault developing with NO RCD protection

Multiple class2 appliances [2pin plug] can be connected with a high degree of safety

But remember no system using 240v can be 100% safe

Peter

FollowupID: 760058

Sponsored Links