Jayco Eagle 2008 model

Submitted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:07
ThreadID: 95297 Views:6630 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

After much discussion with wife and family my original plan to build a hiace camper has been scraped.

Now we are looking at a Jayco, 2008 model Eagle.

Does any one out there have experience with this pop top model and year, or actually own one?

I am looking for the factory bare dry weight of one and tow ball weight.

Also the overall length from tip tow hitch to rear, maximum length in travelling position...

Any help would be much appreciated.

I am looking at some second hand and there are some really good models 2008 year build for around the 17-18k with lots of options.

Thanks

James
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Charlie B2 - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 13:53

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 13:53
Hi Hiacer [sounds a bit like I'm stammering, doesn't it? :-) ],

You might find Jayco's own technical info of some help. Don't know whether there have been any changes since 2008, but here is a reference to the current Technical Specs section of their website.

http://www.jayco.com.au/#/Products/Camper_Trailers/Nav_2/Technical_Specs

Not sure whether this will work as a link, but why not copy and paste into your browser if it doesn't?

We've had a 2006 Eagle Outback camper trailer since early 2007 and like most things about it. The comments below refer only to this model Jayco, us and our circumstances.

Pluses?
- Brilliant amount of room inside when set up, especially for two people.
- Low towing height and lightweight - you can very easily forget the trailer's even there, if you're not concentrating (Yeah, I know you should always be concentrating - for the benefit of those who never make mistakes, even momentarily, that statement is what is known as hyperbole )
- convenient to reverse into a driveway, even for duffers

Our dislikes?

- Flaming "Contact"-covered interior cupboard doors and drawer fronts !!! Don't hang anything damp over them - they'll never be the same again.
- super-low work surfaces and even lower sink - yes, I do wash the dishes, but my back usually aches for a couple of hours afterwards.
- limited storage space and it's all down low
- One tip I'd suggest is: DON'T haul yourself up into the van by pulling on the grab handle near the doorway! The attachment of side panel at rear of doorway to the back of the cafe kitchen seat is probably the single weakest link in the system.
- A thin aluminium skin is ridiculous, but this applies to around 50% of van manufacturers in this country and I don't think this affects your preferred 2008 model.

We're considering a change to either a pop-top or full van sometime in the future, but really only because we're both getting older and the winding up and down is becoming a struggle for a crook right shoulder but, other than those few gripes, we're pretty comfortable with this as a set-up.

Hope this helps,

Charlie
AnswerID: 484801

Reply By: Trev&Ness B - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 18:16

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 18:16
gday

we bought a 2011 outback swan, biggest piece of crap ever made. IM not goin to go into details but lets just say jayco dont give 2 hoots on how bad there new trailers are cause they sell heaps off them.

You may find that when you do big trips the setting up and packing away every day can get on your nerves pretty quik. They say 10mins and your done, good luck with that. I will be upgrading to a full size van as soon as someone stupid enough wants to buy mine, or i trade it in.
trev
AnswerID: 484824

Sponsored Links