Is a dumn question?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 21:13
ThreadID: 95325 Views:2145 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, Heading from melb to portagusta and up the track to Katherine NT. Driving an X rail Nissan. Do we need to carry 20 litres of petrol? thanks johno
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:03

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:03
G'day, what roads or tracks are you using? If staying on the tar, No, you won't need to carry extra fuel, plenty of fuel. Enjoy your journey.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 484850

Reply By: Bazooka - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:04

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:04
Not if it's a diesel.
AnswerID: 484851

Reply By: KevinE - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 09:26

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 09:26
No, just make sure you fill up at Glendambo. You may not make it from Pt. Augusta to Coober Pedy if there are strong head winds on that day. In fact, fill up at most every fuel stop & you'll be OK.
AnswerID: 484877

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 10:00

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 10:00
Carrying extra fuel is only warranted when the remote service stations are making a big killing out of pricing their fuel.
Extra fuel is extra weight to carry, and this has an effect on your fuel consumption.

However, if the remote places are making a welter out of pricing - and you can get fuel with a major discount in the city (shopper docket + a day when fuel price cycle is low - then carrying extra fuel probably pays off, particularly if you aren't loaded right up with gear.

The downside is the need to add fuel from jerrycans, which often results in spills or splashes, and the annoyance of fuel smells inside the car.
My missus is highly sensitive to any chemical smells, and it doesn't go down too well to climb back into the car smelling of petrol or diesel from spills or splashes.
I think I only refuel from jerry cans about 2 times out of 10 without a splash landing on me somewhere!

Don't forget to check your tyre pressures and even raise them 2-4lb (14-28 kpa) for high speed, long distance travelling. Correctly-inflated tyres will do a lot to help your fuel consumption - as well as driving at a constant speed. I also like to try and pick a day with a tailwind, which can make a noticeable difference in fuel consumption.

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 484878

Reply By: Member - DereelGirl - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 15:08

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 15:08
Hi johno59, I did that trek last June with my xTrail, towing a camper. We stayed on the black top all the way and did it just fine. We made a point of filling up every 350lkms whether we needed it or not. I also agree with adjusting your tyres, I had put new ones on and they were rated higher than the old ones so I was able to up them a bit more than I normally would have. Enjoy your trip.
Rob
Dereelgirl

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484899

Sponsored Links