Powering a Desktop computer

Submitted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 21:35
ThreadID: 95327 Views:1706 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am a grey nomad !! Trying to keep up with technology !! I have a laptop computer My question is this : We only stop in National Parks with no power etc and rely on 12 volt power from a deep cycle battery to provide lighting and tv. How can we run our 240 volt computer from our 12 volt battery?? Thanks guys. Was going to ask my grandson...................but he is really busy lol johno
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 21:46

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 21:46
Laptops generally do not actually run on 240v. At home you will have a power supply plugged in 240v that reduces it to the voltage required by the laptop - usually 18-20v.

Places like Dick Smith and Jaycar sell adaptors that replace your 240v power supply - these run on 12v and have an adjustable output and you just select the voltage required.

You need to work out what voltage the laptop runs on (check the manual or it will be marked on the 240v power supply) also you need to work out what the power consumption is - again check the manual or 240v power supply) it will be listed in watts (maybe 300w or amps) - you just buy a 12v power supply to suit.

Usually $50 - $100.

AnswerID: 484848

Follow Up By: johno59 - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 21:55

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 21:55
Thank You Gary, You don't work in aged care by anychance? Will check out ds!! johno
FollowupID: 760112

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 08:06

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 08:06
I have a Belkin unit similar to what Garry has suggested but it also works on 240 volt. It has a standard power plug and a cigarette plug plus multiple tips for different laptops. It will also charge USB devices at the same time as it has a USB plug too. It's a Swiss army knife of power adapters :-)
FollowupID: 760136

Reply By: Aussie Camper - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:41

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:41
You could also get a inverter that converts 12 volts to 240 volts.
this way you just plug the omputer in the inverter with same cable
Plus can use the inverter for other items.
AnswerID: 484857

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:57

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:57
That's what we use, we use it for cameras and anything that needs the battery charged. They are very handy.
We met a young couple who camped next to us atWoomera when we were over that way, we started chatting with them as we do, it was their first Wedding Anniversary, said our good byes and left only to run into them while taking some photo's, I offered to take some photo's of them both together on their camera only to find that their camera battery had just gone flat. We were both headed for Roxby Downs so we gave our inverter to them and agreed to meet in Roxby which would have given them time to charge up their battery. All went as planned. Handy gadget that one.

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 760120

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 07:25

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 07:25
Very good response by Garry. I bought our 12 volt charger from Jaycar. It was the correct wattage for our laptop and adjustable for the volts. Also came with several plugs that should fit most laptops. Not saying Jaycar are the best, it is just an example. Keep away from cheap chargers unless you know they are OK for your laptop. Watch if your laptop is still under warranty. You should be able to buy the proper charger from the same manufacturer as your laptop, but they are usually more expensive.
Our charger is plugged into the cigarette lighter plug in the rear of our vehicle and the laptop sits on the rear seat when we are driving with the charger plugged in. That way the laptop is always fully charged when we arrive at camp.
We use a 150 watt inverter to charge our camera batteries.
AnswerID: 484866

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 09:07

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 09:07

In your heading you called it a desktop. Yet everyone has responded as if it was a laptop. There is a big difference between the power required for a deshtop and a laptop.

Which is it?

AnswerID: 484875

Follow Up By: garrycol - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 10:26

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 10:26
The OP did say a Laptop
FollowupID: 760144

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 10:47

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 10:47
Just making sure. Sometimes small details can be missed and we make mistakes.
FollowupID: 760151

Sponsored Links