Swing away arm to hold a push bike

Submitted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 18:27
ThreadID: 95377 Views:1881 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I have a Mazda T3000 bus.

It already has a swing away spare wheel carrier on the back (drivers side) and I would like to put another swing away bar on the passenger side to hold my push bike.

Putting the push bike carrier on the tow bar is a big PITA as it means I have to remove the tow bar every time I need something out of the back hatch which is my main storage area.

My bus currently has a fairly solid steel back bumper which is what the existing swing arm is attached to, and I am sure it will handle the weight of the push bike fine.

Does anyone know of any CHEAP after market swing arm set ups?

There would be room to either bolt a plate onto the existing plate steel, or to the square frame underneath.

Cheers
Natalie

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SDG - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 20:22

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 20:22
Not sure about the swing away bike rack, but there is a bike rack available that hooks over your wheel that is already swing away, thus making the bike swing away. Mine holds two, but I have seen them hold three.
I got mine from a bike shop, but I recently saw one at Autobahn (I think it was them) made by Rhino. It was near there roof racks.
AnswerID: 485076

Follow Up By: Ladykahu - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 20:27

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 20:27
Thanks for the responce

I considered those, but because the existing wheel is on the far right side my bike would stick out the side of the bus!

Natalie
FollowupID: 760319

Follow Up By: SDG - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 20:52

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 20:52
Mine is adjustable to suit right, left, or centre wheel placements. I have two rear wheels on the Patrol, which come to either side of the car. When bike is on, it does stick out a little to the side, but no more than what the guards/mirrors do. It depends on the placement of clamps to the bike frame.

The main problem with them is the odd knock on the head when swinging them out to open the door as they are higer on these swingaway arms than the would be normally.
FollowupID: 760321

Reply By: Michaeljp - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 21:49

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 21:49
the best bike rack for Australian conditions is one made in Victoria by a mob called ISI bike carriers. They fit into the tow hitch receiver and are able to fold down
www.isi-carriers.com check the website they have a few different types to look at.
AnswerID: 485086

Follow Up By: Member - Graham Watson (SA) - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 08:31

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 08:31
We have a fold down carrier (though not an ISI) and it is still a PITA folding it down with bikes attached, not to mention the hassle of stepping over the bikes to get to items in the rear of the wagon.
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 760342

Reply By: Grubby - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 23:26

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 23:26
I don't have much to add at this stage - I am still researching my bike carrier myself - I will be paying attention to this thread as I need one too. Mainly how do people carry the bikes when you are towing? - can't attach anything to the tow hitch then. The spare wheel one is out as apparently I can't put it on the caravan - so hmmmm - stuck right now.

Rob

AnswerID: 485093

Sponsored Links