Global caravans

Submitted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 16:49
ThreadID: 95399 Views:4306 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We're in the market for a used family van DB/QB with bunks and ensuite and have seen new Global vans advertised for a comparable price. Within the add it specifies "THIS CARAVAN HAS BEEN MANUFACTURED IN THE USA EXCLUSIVELY FOR AUSTRALIA. AUSTRALIAN COMPLIANT WITH FULL SAFETY CERTIFICATION." I am aware that there can be issues with European design vans used in Australian conditions but have not yet read much about USA vans. I'm a bit wary as you usually get what you pay for. Has anyone had any experience with this brand?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 18:44

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 18:44
Brecath - The problems with American vans is that they are not built to the same standards as Australian vans. They're not built to handle our rough roads. They crack up under Australian road conditions.

They're not built to Australian standards as far as door widths, types of fittings, and accessories - you know, all those things that break, and need replacing!
Their electrical fittings are all different. Windows, hinges, door locks, they're all American brands, known as Unobtainium.
Their plumbing uses NPT threads, not BSP. Ever tried to get NPT pipe fittings? I've got about 50 boxes of them, in Nylon, and I'm probably the only bloke in Australia with them.

The American vans are built from American softwoods. Some of these woods have a lovely finish for cupboard facias - but using American softwoods in caravan frames is a recipe for future disaster.
The wood can't cope with our severe climatic conditions. It breaks and splits and lets water in.
The materials used in American vans have poor UV resistance, because everything in North America is centred around a climate where 20°C is a hot day.
They build caravans to cope with -30°C temperatures. We need vans that can handle 50°C temperatures. The Americans barely understand what the hot dry Australian cliimate does to materials - or what is needed in our climate.

There are numbers of American vans and motorhomes that have been imported privately, and I wouldn't touch any of them with a 3M barge pole. When I see an American van that has been produced for Australia - after the company management have been to Australia, and done extensive road testing over a period here - only then, I would consider owning one.
Just my .02c worth for today - and I don't own an American van - but I have friends who have owned them.

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 485153

Follow Up By: Brecath - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 23:28

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 23:28
Thanks Ron. That's exactly the type of feedback I was after :) Had a feeling that may have been the case.
FollowupID: 760425

Follow Up By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 19:45

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 19:45
Hi Ron,

I agree with you on all things but the states has its share of dry hot areas, Lived in Scottdale for 2 years and i'll tell you it gets hot well into the 40's, But your right US Vans are built for a moderate climate, They didnt handle the Arizona heat either.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 760468

Sponsored Links