Defective Haigh Automotive product

Submitted: Monday, May 07, 2012 at 12:39
ThreadID: 95412 Views:1930 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
In the middle of a fight with Haigh over a 12 volt plug I bought at a local autoparts store.

It is a ' 12 Volt Waterproof Socket ' part number SPL16.

The product has no wiring diagram at all . One black and one green wire.

I went on their website to get further info and under the description of the part it says ' Connection Note: Black cable is negative/earth & green cable is positive/power .'

I followed this and blew two wiring looms and the thermo fuse in the Engel.

I pulled out the multimeter and found that their info is backward ( maybe should have done this before using it ! )

The Black cable is indeed positive and the green negative.

So far no answer from Haigh after a week so I am now going on with it and hopefully get them to fix their website and pull the product from the shelves.

I have found a lot of very usefull info on exploreoz in the past. I would hate another person to do what I have done .

Cheers
Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bazooka - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 14:07

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 14:07
Try the ACCC. Sounds like you have solid grounds for a claim.
AnswerID: 485195

Follow Up By: Jason S5 - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 17:50

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 17:50
I am trying to get them to do the right thing .

ACCC will be contacted in another week. Emails and calls go unanswered so far .
FollowupID: 760458

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 06:25

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 06:25
Do you think the ACCC would really chase a company for such a small thing..... don't think so.

The ACCC has got better things then chasing a small claim and tie up resources.

Do't you mean you local state government branch of Consumer affairs.

If your taking it up with the ACCC..... bring on the QC's and lets have a national enquiry.
FollowupID: 760502

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 11:38

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 11:38
Noone is suggesting that the ACCC should be consulted at the drop of the hat for every little issue Olcoolone and you are correct that the ACCC "won't chase a company for such a small thing". But to suggest they "have better things to do" than assist with Jason's problem is plainly and simply wrong.

The ACCC provides consumer advice and helps to guide people through extended disputes - both small and large. Suggestions otherwise are misleading. They are interested in all manner of consumers related issues, from very small to extremely large, and they provide resources to handle the type of problems being encountered by Jason. A call to them will result in advice being given as to a consumer's rights in any particular case (in this case most likely the replacement of the 'faulty' item and possibly recompense for any damage caused - depending on the circumstances), plus recommendations regarding the appropriate process to go through with the retailer.

In most cases if you receive no reasonable response after verbal enquiries (face to face with someone senior is probably best) they will recommend a written complaint to the company's customer service manager. That's common sense, as is allowing the retailer time to respond - as Jason has done in this case. If they think the issue is important from a safety point of view my guess is that the ACCC will follow up themselves to ensure that the instructions are amended, the product meets appropriate standards, or if necessary it is withdrawn from sale. The only way they know about such issues is when consumers contact them and history shows that by doing so you are often doing other consumers, and probably retailers, a big favour.

FollowupID: 760524

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 14:14

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 14:14
G'day Jas. Would be interesting to know if yours was a one off wired backwards or if the intructions are simply wrong. Either way I think Haigh should be keen to fix the error so surprised you've had no response. I'd expect your Engel fuse to blow but it's unusual you also burnt out 2 wiring looms with a simple reverse polarity to a plug. (Maybe your fusing is not quite right?)
Good luck with a resolution.
Cheers Craig.......
AnswerID: 485196

Follow Up By: Jason S5 - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 17:52

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 17:52
I do agree Craig re the wiring looms. I will be rewiring the engel point any I will find out where it is going to cause such a mess.
FollowupID: 760459

Reply By: Steve D1 - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 16:21

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 16:21
Keep hasseling them. Had a similar problem with extention lead plugs from another company. The packaging for the male plugs had the instructions for the female plugs. Luckily i checked first and my thoughts were correct. I believe that the stock was taken off the shelf.
Compo is another question though.

Steve
AnswerID: 485205

Follow Up By: Jason S5 - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 17:54

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 17:54
I will Steve . Got a mess to clean up after this .

Mate if they sent me another thermal fuse I would be happy.
FollowupID: 760460

Reply By: GT Campers - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 18:27

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 18:27
are you sure you didn't simply get a dud?

It happens sometimes with parts supply; depending on the value of the component and whether it is a critical safety issue or not, I simply:
a) have a laugh (or cry!) get over it, or
b) deal with it by rectification, or
c) return it to retailer and swap or refund.

Or, is you source power correctly wired? Because black is often (but not always) Earth in 12V systems
AnswerID: 485222

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 06:27

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 06:27
What; but that doesn't involve lawyers.... dancing girls and flashing lights.

Good to see someone with common sense.
FollowupID: 760503

Follow Up By: Dust-Devil - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 10:58

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 10:58
Ah! Olcoolone you have it in one (as usual) - screaming, shouting and threatened 'sooking' to the lawyers all over a $15 - $20 item.

I would hazard a guess that should there be the mother of all investigations into this matter, then nasty questions would be asked as to why the vehicle fuses did not 'blow' in the first instance and save the aforementioned looms.

Which would then necessitate a full inspection of the vehicles wiring. These sort of inspections have a habit of identifying serious deficiencies in same and 'blowing up' in the complainants face.

All OEM looms are fused (of some sort) and designed to blow if overloaded/shorted - providing the correct rated fuse is fitted of course.

It's the aftermarket loom installs and attachments that inevitably cause the problem/s mentioned in this post.

DD
FollowupID: 760522

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 18:49

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 18:49
Always check the polarity of everything you intend to connect, just good practice, assume nothing and you then are in control.
A Haigh power outlet isn't really good for a fridge for a long term connection and the system should be hard wired to provide a positive low voltage drop connection.
If the power outlet is a cig lighter type it will most likely vibrate loose and the connection will get hot and cause a high resistance which the fridge is not designed to experience. It won't do good for the fridge.

Ross M
AnswerID: 485226

Reply By: Jason S5 - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 17:39

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 17:39
Kind of sorry I posted this now .

I bought something , followed the manufacturers wiring suggestions, and it was faulty.

Thought I might warn a few who may go out and buy the same thing.

You guys go on and talk your cr+p , I'm out

AnswerID: 485297

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 18:44

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 18:44
Under national laws introduced late last year you have a right to a refund or replacement, even if you don't have the original packaging IF you have a receipt and IF it was faulty or not fit for purpose.

Your claim is with the retailer, and not the manufacturer under this law.

It is an offence for them to calim that they don;t have to do that.

Contact your state based consumer affairs to help you.
AnswerID: 485300

Sponsored Links