hyundai 2010 santa fe

Submitted: Monday, May 07, 2012 at 19:23
ThreadID: 95421 Views:1904 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
In the vehicle hand book they say not to use any form of level ride why is this and has anyone had experience towing with a hyundai
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:05

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:05
Hi Peter, I had the same problem when I brought my Pathfinder ti55o, and nobody could tell me why not so I got onto Nissan Japan, and they got the engineering department to send me an answere, and it went along the lines of we don't know what ride leveling devices are or what you would want to use them for,so I sent them an emial showing the equipment on my Hi lux and caravan with the ride levelers on. The answere came back that the vehicle was not designed for that purpose, or that much load, and could crack the Chasis, and this is on a vehicle that was designed to tow three and a half tonnes, which the vehicle does quite well. It took me another two months to have someone From Nissan Australia to explian to me why, and it turns out there are three different hand books all rolled into one for three diffent continents, it does not apply to vehicles for the Aussie market, I now have a new manual from Nissan Australia. The Pathfinder was built in Spian, for Australian Conditions, now you may have the same problem, but I now have it in writing from Nissan Australia that I may use ride Leveling devices, for towing purposes. I hope you don't have to go through the same process that iI had to to get an answere. I hope this Helps.
Good luck
Broodie
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 485239

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 07:18

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 07:18
G'day, wondering why it is ok to use them in Aus, but not in th other countries, seems bizarre.......... Cheers, John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 760506

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 22:14

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 22:14
Just a general comment, use carefully.
I think some manufacturers don't endorse things like level rides because they don't know what amount of force is being transferred by the device to the front wheels, and seeing it has a stability control system this would tend to make its corrective actions not be in tune with the, now altered chassis dynamics.
The LR eases weight on the rear wheels and in braking situations they can reduce the grip on the rear wheels even more, and this may contradict the stability programs amount of automatic/selective braking.

Some people use them but only with light pressure applied to avoid conflict.

Ross M
AnswerID: 485258

Reply By: GT Campers - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 08:30

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 08:30
These devices put incredible stresses into the rear section of the body and chassis. Think it of like this: to lift the back of a car to make it level, these WDH need to act like a big crowbar...

Car manuafcturers quietly accept that some people may use them - and cross thier fingers that these customers don't have dramas - but NONE engineer thier vehicles to use them. I would never ever fit them to something as flimsy (sorry) as a Hyundai and despite its chassis, I would NEVER install them to a Pathfinder, either, due to the inappropriate towbar design that applies an incredible amount of torsion into the rear chassis crossmember

AnswerID: 485268

Follow Up By: ChrisE - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 09:30

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 09:30
Agree with your first point, but "NONE engineer thier vehicles to use them" - Not quite 100%.
Have you seen the adverts for the new Ford Territory?
One advantage of buying an Aussie DESIGNED and made car is that they know what we use them for.
Check out the start of the "Can I tow a mountain of snow up a mountain ad" it shows the weights put on the test trailer and then driven around the high speed test track. The one towing the "snow" has a WDH if you look closely.
http://www.ford.com.au/suv/territory#overlay=1248920389006

Haven't looked at a Hyundai or newer Pathfinder so can't comment on strength of them but probably wouldn't be great.
FollowupID: 760514

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 10:23

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 10:23
hey Chris, yes due to lackof coffee at my house I made an error there, I am happy - and proud - to stand corrected; the Aussie Territory IS designed to cop the load from a WDH.
The Territory is a stunning tow car
FollowupID: 760517

Reply By: walwffoeg - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 10:29

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 10:29
Hi Peter,
I have a 2009 santa diesel auto.
I've towed my avan (around 1100kilos) many 1000s of ks, around oz, across the nullabor 4 times, not to mention several other trips, both with and without wdh bars.
To be honest, i can hardly tell the difference when using the wdh. The hyundai handles it so well its not phased at all by the load.
Sure i can tell its there but I still have plenty of power and acceleration and it tracks behind ver well, no swaying or whatever.
However with a bigger van ymmv.
Geoff
AnswerID: 485278

Follow Up By: peter l14 - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 17:19

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 17:19
Big thank you all who replied it,s food for thought
FollowupID: 760545

Reply By: martin c1 - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 12:52

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 12:52
As a structural engineer I agree entirely with GT Campers.
AnswerID: 485634

Sponsored Links