Inaccurate caravan compliance plate ?? = small payload

Submitted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 22:08
ThreadID: 95445 Views:6032 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are about to purchase a '87 22ft Millard with ensuite (full shower and porta pottie). It has an aluminum frame, full annexe and is fully set up with large (180L??) Fridge freezer, microwave, batteries, inverters, ctek charger, solar panels, TV/DVD , 2 x 9kg gas bottles and 2 x 90L water tanks. It also comes with a generator and Engel. We have just seen the safety certificate and a letter from Main roads(QLD) stating that the Tare is 1950kg and ATM is 2000kg - leaving a payload of 50kg??? :? The compliance plate is covered by paint and cannot be read clearly. The current owner claims the info on the forms is inaacurate and the values are closer to "ATM 1600kg and GVM 2000kg". This is our first caravan and although we have read lots about this subject on forums such as this - it's a bit confusing and we're a little unsure as to how to progress from here. We certainly don't want to be buying a van with an official payload of only 50kg ... The owner has offered to take the van to a weigh bridge on the day we are scheduled to collect it. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: disco driver - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 23:26

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 23:26
Hi Guys,
There's something wrong here.

Unless the seller can get this all sorted so that you have a reasonable payload (4-500kg) with all the necessary paperwork confirming this prior to you handing over your hard earned, I suggest you walk away from the deal.

You may be able to read the compliance plate if you remove all the paint etc covering it and shine a torch at an angle to pick out the numbers which may help clarify the issue.
You may have a possible out in the "suitability for purpose" clauses of the trade practices acts if it all turns pearshape on you.

Hope this helps.

Disco.
AnswerID: 485320

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 23:40

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 23:40
"You may have a possible out in the "suitability for purpose" clauses of the trade practices acts if it all turns pearshape on you."

Im not familiar with Qland law, but I sincerely doubt it on a private sale.
It would seem easy to sort out, putting it over a weighbridge, before signing anything.
FollowupID: 760571

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 06:56

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 06:56
With all that extra equipment I'd be very surprised if it is in fact under GVM without any personal gear in it.
As others have advised I'd get it weighed BEFORE paying anything. no weighbridge ticket, no sale.
I would also be present at the weighbridge when weighed and ensure that everything is still in situ, water and gas all full as well.
It may well be on a van of that vintage that due to axle and chassis strength (lack thereof) it cannot be upgraded to a higher GVM.
AnswerID: 485332

Reply By: GT Campers - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 09:18

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 09:18
yep, that's an old dealer/manufacturer trick: get the caravan weighed and rego'd when it's just a white box... then install the stoves and stuff
AnswerID: 485338

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 09:20

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 09:20
...but on re-reading your post, the van has a lot of stuff added/included: gennies and stuff. There was once a time when people didn't need all that heavy stuf!
FollowupID: 760587

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 12:16

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 12:16
Brecath,

Having had a van a few years ago that was registered with a mis-placed decimal point and knowing the technicalities to have rectified, the absolute minim that I would do is phone QLD Transport. They are normally quite helpful.
50kg payload? Two steaks and a carton is about all you could carry.

Regards Mike.
AnswerID: 485346

Reply By: Brecath - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 19:23

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 19:23
Thanks for responses. Tare weight measured at 1680kg today. Docket taken to Main roads and the safety certificate and database all updated easily.
AnswerID: 485377

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 09:38

Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 09:38
Firstly any compliance plate should remain ledgable at all times.

Secondly there are heaps of errors in the QLD transport database concerning trailers.
They lost a heap of information and made a heap of errors in the great data base migration back in the 90's.

One of my box trailers lists a tare of 750KG and a GVM of 750KG and their system has bugger all information on it other than that.

The original paperwork from 1985 will be burried sooo deep in the archives that it will never come to light.

Getting details "corrected" and attaching replacement VIN plates to trailers is not anywhere near as big a deal as it is on cars.

I replaced a non-ledgable VIN plate, before selling a boat trailer not long ago.

If you have an old trailer, you have an opportunity to "correct" the information that QLD transport holds,
You simply have to show proof of the "correct" information.
For the weight and GVM they will require a weigh bridge certificate and previous rego papers of the old dodgy vin plate.
They may want to measure the thing and poke it with a stick.

From memory you use a standard rego application form and mark it correction of details.

So if you end up buying the thing, take the opportunity to make sure the "correct" information is what you want it to be.

All that said...it is far from uncommon for caravans to have very very poor payloads.....all reading should be carefull of this.

cheers
AnswerID: 485432

Follow Up By: Brecath - Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 21:18

Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 21:18
Thanks Bantam. Everything was as straightforward as you said and paperwork is now all updated with correct weights and payload over 300kg.
FollowupID: 760755

Sponsored Links