Gps

Hi,
Is the Hema Navigator and its maps better offroad or on road.

Thanks JohnG10
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 13:11

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 13:11
Hi.

The unit comes with iGo street nav software ("on road") and OxiExplorerCE gps mapping software (I suppose you can call it "off road" if you like but works anywhere).

So HN is suited to both applications.

Apparently iGo is very popular so suspect that it would suit most peoples requirements for navigating in cities and towns. OziExplorer is more or less the benchmark in its field - used by many 4WD/travellers (and mining, exploration and enviro types) - you can add maps for Ozi if those that come with the unit dont suit your needs.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485349

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 07:07

Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 07:07
Good day Greg , What's your gps of choice ?..... looks like your got a fire sale going on !
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 760674

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 09:16

Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 09:16
Hi

We could get in trouble here with the mods :) but it would be rude not to respond. I have a bad habit of buying new GPS units to see what they are like in my never ending quest for the ultimate (handheld outdoor) device. Woke up one morning last week and said time for a stock clearance:)

GPS of choice (at moment) - TwoNav Aventura. Takes raster maps with ease, also has vector street nav (that can overlay raster maps) and battery life is great. "Ruggerdised" for outdoor use.

I got rid of the HN5i so I could get the HN6 (to see what its like)...but not for a while...as medication seems to be working at moment:)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760684

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 20:40

Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 20:40
No problems asking question here Greg .... unlike some not coooool forums .
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 760747

Reply By: Member - OzGazza (VIC) - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 13:30

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 13:30
I haven't used the iGo bit yet because I bought my HN6 for the OziExplorer "Off Road" features.

But for the $ The HN6 is very expensive if all you want is turn by turn navigation. I would look around for a cheaper alternative.

But as an OziExplorer mapping gadget its very good.

So the short answer to your question is its better for off road - But thats coming from a $ POV.

Others might want to comment on how good the iGo navigation is. But for the $ it would need to be very good to compete with the alternatives.
AnswerID: 485351

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 18:05

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 18:05
On a different device but for on road I have used units powered by Whereis and Igo8 and my personal preference is the IGO8
FollowupID: 760627

Follow Up By: Member - OzGazza (VIC) - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 22:20

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 22:20
Update.

I've just come back from using the iGo navigation on the Hema HN6. I must say it was much better than I expected and a big improvement on my old Hema 5" so I take back what I said about the HN6 being only for OziExplorer. The turn by turn navigation is very good and adds real value to the Unit. I still maintain the you should be able to get a good turn by turn Nav unit for less than 740.00 But This unit has that + Off road mapping.
FollowupID: 760659

Reply By: WBS - Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 09:10

Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 09:10
Before I start I'll admit that I run a non-Hema cheap and nasty Chinese unit that runs IGO and OziExplorer but that's not what this post is about. It is about IGO and OxiExplorer.

The Hema Navigator should be good both in the city and on the open road.

IGO is fine as city navigator. In my opinion, it is up there with Tom Tom and Garmin. (As I've never used Navman, I can't comment on it).

OziExplorer comes into its own on the open road depending on the quality of maps you load and use.

I'm not sure if this is the case with the Hema unit, but what I don't like with my setup is that I can't just flip from IGO to OziExplorer and back to IGO with the push of a button. I have to close down OziExplorer to run IGO and vice versa. For that reason, I run one GPS for city/town navigation (Garmin or Tom Tom) and OziExplorer on my cheap Chinese unit. I'm happy with that setup

WBS
AnswerID: 485428

Sponsored Links