12VDC power supply alternative.

Submitted: Friday, May 11, 2012 at 19:06
ThreadID: 95500 Views:1914 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, my father has misplaced the power supply for his caravan expoler antenna and needs to source a new one.
He called the manfacturer and they want a ridiculous price for a replacement so now we're looking at alternatives.
The rating of the original one is:

AC/DC Adaptor
In: 240VAC 50Hz; Out: 12VDC 100mA

The local guy at Jaycar said it would be ok to use the one he can supply but it is rated at 400mA opposed to the above 100mA. It's still 12VDC however.
Is there any tech experts out there which can confirm this as a second opinion of offer suggestions?
What difference does the mA rating actually make just out of interest?

Thanks guys,
Mysterybags

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 19:27

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 19:27
The mA rating is simply the maximum current that the device can supply. It will not 'force' 400mA into your antenna. It is rather like the size of a bucket.... you can put 1 litre in a 4 litre bucket.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 485571

Reply By: KenInPerth - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 22:55

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 22:55
Hi Mysterybags and Allan B

As per Allan B post absolutely - any power supply that is 12V DC (note DC and not AC) that is rated 100mA or better will do the job.

Expanding a bit, just make sure you check the 12V plug end of the new one fits the antenna connector - although many of the power packs these days are supplied with a multitude of plug ends and you just use the one you need.

Also note that if the unit you buy has multiple plug ends, they are "keyed" so as to end up with the right polarity (+ and -) in the right place coming out of the plug. Usually one pin is fatter than the other to make sure you get it the right way around.

Ken
AnswerID: 485604

Sponsored Links