Bore track

We are traveling to Innamincka and beyond, leaving Brisbane late May 2012. Can anyone tell me if the Bore Track is open as we were looking for the shortest route to Camerons Corner from Innamincka.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 20:49

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 20:49
As far as I know the Bore Track is closed, mainly due to travellers ignoring the property owners wishes.
AnswerID: 485584

Reply By: Great Divide Tours - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 21:08

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 21:08
The Bore track has been closed for some time and I doubt it will be open any time soon. A couple alternatives is to follow the Moomba road (Strzelecki Track) south to the Merty Merty turn off and then follow the roller coaster road to the east to Cameron Corner, this route will take an easy days's drive. note the Old Strzelecki south of Della Gas field is also closed. The alternative is to head south on the main road out of Innamincka (not the Old Strzelecki Road) to the Della gas Field and then drive to the east to cross the Qld border and continue south east to Epsilon then drive south to Cameron Corner, in my view the drive via Merty Merty is the more inetresting.
Vic
AnswerID: 485588

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 22:42

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 22:42
"Bore Track North– Open to 4WD. Caution at washouts and very soft sand sections.
Bore Track South – Closed. Contact Bollards Lagoon (61 8 8091 3873) prior to crossing private land."

The above is from the SA DENR Desert Parks Bulletin 2 May 2012.
Interestingly, earlier it was the North (Nat. Park) section which was closed but now it is the South (Station track) section which is closed. Shaker may well be right. There are sections here crossing claypans which would be damaged by driving when wet so that could be understandable. This section is a station track on private property so the station can regulate its access.

Pity, it is an interesting drive.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 485601

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 09:08

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 09:08
Its a shame if its still closed, its a great drive on a nice day!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 760858

Reply By: Member -Toonfish - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 21:47

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 21:47
spoke with the south end farm owner who said yes it was closed owing to needing maintenance which bugger all users paid for either north or south departures!
i respected his wishes on this but when looking at the north end there is no notices whatsoever .

i agreee pity about this
moomba oil feild was relatively good october last year so we took this option.
there is a number listed on most maps regarding the permit!
2013/14 around oz adventure bound

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 485834

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 22:23

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 22:23
I would guess that the reference to "...bugger all users paying for...." is meant to convey that users do not pay for use or maintenance of the Bore Track through Bollard's Lagoon Station....... its upkeep is at the total expense of the station.

The '$10 payment' for use of the track is entirely donated to the RFDS as are many other 'fees' outback.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 761084

Sponsored Links