poptop caravan under 202cm for storage

Submitted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 07:58
ThreadID: 95516 Views:13753 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
After not having caravanned for a few years I am looking for a low height poptop van that will fit into a standard garage. Roller door clearance is roughly 202cm. I am sure other people have had the same problem. I have seen a Royal Flair Mini that was very low but do others exist. I would prefer a shorter van to say 14 feet. Hoping to spend up to 10k.

Suggestions would be most welcome

Kc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lee B1 - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 08:23

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 08:23
I have a 10ft Little Robin by Driftaway that fits no problems, in addition it will fit in a normal car length garage. It also came with a set of much smaller rims to push it under even the lowest rolladoor. I might also add they also come in a 12ft version, plus electric brakes, sway bay, light weight make it a dream to tow.
AnswerID: 485615

Follow Up By: kcandco - Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 20:11

Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 20:11
Hi
I have been watching the little robin minis for a while. Could you tell me how much yours weighs and how long the beds are. Are they 2 singles. I have seen one on the web at orange which looks in good condition : little robin mini

Your comments on what to look out for would be appreciated both from a negative and positive perspective.

regards Kc
FollowupID: 760984

Follow Up By: Lee B1 - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 07:26

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 07:26
From memory weighs about 500kgms (but I will check later). It has two single beds. I am 5'9"174 cm and can fit in the bed but you wouldn't want to be much taller. After about the first nights sleep in it, I seem to adjust to the shorter beds and get quite comfortable in it. A lot of people cannot get over just how really small it looks from the outside but inside everything fits surprisingly well.

Our little robin is 10 to 12 years old and build quality seems quite good, nothing broken, torn or wobbly, although the previous owners fron Geelong kept it immaculate. After having it over about twelve months I can't really fault it (and I'm a bit of a picky old bugger). Beautiful and easy to tow, push the roof up and you are ready, relatively easy to push yourself when off the car, fits into almost any garage. Did I mention easy to push into the garage. Easy to resell as smaller cars can tow it. The blow heater heats the whole van in no time

Negatives. Well it is pretty compact inside. So perfect for one, good for two but three people give it a miss. Yes the beds are compact which isn't an issue for me but for some it might be. I would buy the same again no hesitation and would also be reluctant to buy something bigger.

TRAVEL LIGHT TRAVEL FAR.
FollowupID: 761008

Follow Up By: kcandco - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 07:55

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 07:55
Thanks..
I am 6 ft and that was one thing that worried me a little. My wife would be fine. That seems to be the one drawback. I particularly liked the idea that we would be able to take it where we presently take our camper trailer. I have seen 15ft vans get in through the track so a little robin would be a breeze.

regards Kc
FollowupID: 761090

Reply By: Erad - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 09:58

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 09:58
I have the same problem, but a little bit more clearance. Coromal poptops are low running height. We have a 2000 model Jayco but it is about 2100 high. It jsut fits onto my garage, but I have to be really careful. The newer Jayco's are even higher and won't fit into my garage at all. I know of no others that come even close to 2100 high. I have seen one Royal Flair and it was LOW.

The only other choice is to go to a pop-up camper trailer. They are much better for towing, but suffer in windy weather. We had one for years, and I eventually fitted cleats to the each corner so that I could tie the roof down in windy weather. Other demerits for the pop-ip - it took about 10 to 15 minutes of outside work to set up (great in rain); folding wet canvas over your bed (if it was raining)- we used to put a plastic sheet over the whole bed area; and dust sealing. Otherwise, I would still rather have a pop-up trailer any day - much easier to tow, less wind resistance and better fuel economy.
AnswerID: 485626

Reply By: snapper49 - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 11:48

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 11:48
Coromal Corvair low tow comes in at just over 2 metres
AnswerID: 485632

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 18:23

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 18:23
We have a Coromal Low Line. It's about 1.9mts.high but plenty of head room inside. I'm 6ft 2ins and stand well clear of the ceiling. Mine is about 5.4mts long. Cheers.

Roger B...
AnswerID: 485646

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 19:22

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 19:22
hi

Have a look at a Penguin of road it is half the height and you wind it up

Terry
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 485651

Reply By: kcandco - Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 20:04

Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 20:04
Thanks Everyone for your suggestions. I have been busily googling the various makes mentioned. Finding the van seems like winning lotto. I especially like the little robyn mini as I could take it into bush camping spots with tight tracks. We were at a caravan yard yesterday and checked out the avan aliners... we were quite impressed by how quickly they go up. Wish me luck. I am in Qld but everything I like seems to be 1000 + km from me.

cheers Kc
AnswerID: 485729

Sponsored Links