Tekonsha Voyager saftey issues

Submitted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 12:25
ThreadID: 95517 Views:2881 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Like many others, I have trouble with voyager actuating vehicle brake lights when trailer is not plugged in. I can turn it off by moving manual override slider. I have no knowledge of this fault when towing,as I do not use cruise control when towing. Has anyone had trailer brakes operate independently or in a dangerous manner. I am considering just tolerating the fault, as it is made known by cruise control cutting out, and to date, is easily turned off. I will welcome any advice. Regards, martycon.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 13:11

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 13:11
G'day Martin
The only way the cruise would be dropping off is if the controller suddenly was putting a voltage back up the line to the brake wire at the brake light switch .
IF this is happening then a diode in the sensing line to the controller would not allow any return voltage but should still trigger it ON ok, albeit with 0.6v less being delivered to the controller.
It is highly possible the erroneous signal is coming up from the trailer plug as a loose strand of wire from tail light circuit or + trailer wire is suddenly connecting to it sometimes.
Look inside the trailer base fitted to the vehicle and see if there is such a strand of copper doing its little trick on you. Sometime they are hard to see so be thorough.

PS if it is doing this it won't/shouldn't be activating the brakes, just making then ready for braking if the vehicle starts to.

Ross M
AnswerID: 485635

Follow Up By: martin c1 - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 13:35

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 13:35
Thanks Ross, I think I follow your excellent technical description. I will look for stray strands. The brake lights often come on when the vehicle is parked. There is no pattern. Any time,weather, temp,rain, dry, it also happened with a different vehicle and same van. Your PS is reassuring, safetywise, but brings the thought that a sudden headwind could cause deceleration and activate brakes, and may cause a feedback and unwanted braking. Thanks again,marty.
FollowupID: 760877

Follow Up By: Lex M - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 20:18

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 20:18
As others have said, this is a known fault and the unit should be replaced.

The advice about a diode is incorrect and dangerous. The controller has to be capable of "putting a voltage back up the line to the brake wire at the brake light switch". That's how it's designed to turn the brake lights on, on a manual activation.
FollowupID: 760908

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 20:51

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 20:51
Yep Ross’ technical advice leaves a bit to be desired at times.
But that’s the internet - you get the wheat with the chaff and you have to take a punt on what you consider is fact.
FollowupID: 760912

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 14:29

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 14:29
This is a known issue & it should be replaced at no cost to you, as mine & many others have been.

AnswerID: 485637

Follow Up By: wollyw - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 16:02

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 16:02
i had the same issue and it was replaced at no cost. I believe there was a faulty batch of controllers
FollowupID: 760884

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (WA) - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 21:22

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 21:22
who do we contact for a replacement?

Mine was already in the car when I purchased the vehicle so I don't know where it was originally purchased!
FollowupID: 760915

Follow Up By: martin c1 - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 10:38

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 10:38
ANDREW, I emailed Australia truck & trailer parts, who replied this morning that they are one of many distributors and that at 8 yrs old my voyager is out of warranty. I shall leave it at that. regards, marty
FollowupID: 761023

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 11:18

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 11:18
It's not a warranty issue.. As stated, it's a known fault with the earlier units, of which Tekonsha are well aware..

I'd suggest you email Tekonsha directly.. >> http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx

You certainly have nothing to lose (except a few minutes of your time) by doing this...

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 761026

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 14:21

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 14:21
The Victorian distributor told me the same thing, even suggested that mine was an isolated case, however, when I suggested that I would then refer the issue to the Road Safety Dept of Vicroads, they changed their tune & replaced it!
They should have been RECALLED!

FollowupID: 761033

Reply By: Gado - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 21:44

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 21:44
Hi martycon, best to just replace it as we did. There was a faulty batch made about 6-7 years ago which they were replacing under warranty, but warranty has long since expired.

The brake lights will keep coming on when you aren't there, even if you pull the brake light fuse out.The main problem for us was finding the battery flat. That is incovenient enough at home, but could be much worse in a remote area.

Cheers, Gado
AnswerID: 485833

Sponsored Links