Is the VMS 700HD any good

I am deliberating over the Hema or VMS dash mont units. The VMS 700HD appears easy to use and the bigger screen is a real plus. Any observations on pros and cons would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod W - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 21:31

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 21:31
Recently I was looking to buy a VMS Touring 700HD GPS. Everybody wanted $699 plus and they wouldn't budge. I eventually discovered this bloke Jason at 12v4x4andcamping.com.au for $599. He gave service and he's a Perth local and a VMS dealer.

As for the unit well it has local suburbia street mapping and bush/remote tracks mapping. The remote is what I wanted it for and and when I was checking the unit out I was panning in on some unused locations in the Yilgarn region here in WA that I like going to and it was showing them so hence I brought one. Come next week I'll be putting it to the test.
AnswerID: 485831

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 21:53

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 21:53
Hi

Wouldnt the (non Hema) raster maps on the Hema and VMS be the same i.e. 250K Natmaps? Either way you should be able to run the same raster maps on both units so that isnt really a defining factor on which unit to buy. I think the question about what is "best" relates more to price, road nav software/updates, off road software/ updates, ease of use, technical specifications and reliability.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 761081

Reply By: achjimmy - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 22:56

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 22:56
Personally I'd Forget anything that offers the Gregory's off road maps. There alignment is incorrect on many of there maps. The "Blue Mtns" & "Snowy Mtns" maps are so far out they are useless to use as a moving map. I notice a few others over the last 18mths as well. This is on the VMS iPad app but in discussing this with them they say it's a Gregory's problem on all versions and they cant get anything done about it , Very poor.
AnswerID: 485842

Reply By: Bush Wanderer - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 00:36

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 00:36
Do you have an iPad ? You can download the Hema or vms app and for much less. Bigger screen too.

Just another option.

BW.
AnswerID: 485846

Sponsored Links