Overflow

Submitted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 22:28
ThreadID: 95593 Views:1797 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am pretty sure I already know what I am going to do on this one, but am keen to get some more input to see what you guys think.

We picked up our new van yesterday and drove from the dealers, 100km home. When we had arrived home, and I had just pulled up outside, we noticed water coming quite strongly from the underside of the van into the road. I got underneath her and saw that the water was running out of what I've been told is an overflow pipe. The dealer said it was ok and I shouldn't be worried and that if I keep the van level then water won't come out.

I have issues with this advice though. They know that we will be using this van off-road, therefore it will be subject to leaning etc... Surely this means that we will constantly be losing water? Secondly, having an open pipe directly into my two tanks...... does this cause a health issue??? Wouldn't insects, principally, mossies, be drawn toward the water and possible get into my tanks?

I am going to have a tap fitted on the two over flows and will open them when filling the tanks.

So, just throwing this one out there and interested to hear what you have to say.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bush Wanderer - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 22:37

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 22:37
Not sure about the overflow pipe, but there should be a breather plumbed up high near the filler spout. Maybe this is the same thing, and the manufacturer has been too slack or tight to do it properly.
You certainly don't want to lose water or let dust and mud in, so if there is no breather pipe, then best to plumb it correctly.
BW.
AnswerID: 485928

Reply By: Member - Josh- Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 22:37

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 22:37
Overflows can be a pain like that. When not in use wasps like to nest in them. You may find you will need to open the taps when using the taps to allow air into the tanks other wise it may form a vacume, like on a fuel tank when the breather gets blocked.
Can you place the breather pipe higher. Place a breather on it the end of it.

Josh
AnswerID: 485929

Reply By: Member - Lachy T - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 22:38

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 22:38
Opening the "vent tap" when you fill the tanks sounds like a great plan, but would you not need to also open it when pumping water out of the tanks for normal use? Otherwise you could "crush" the tanks due to the vacuum you would be pulling inside them. Please, somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Lachy
AnswerID: 485930

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 22:46

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 22:46
Yes you would have to open them. One forgetful time and the tank might suck in and be destroyed and not have much capacity.
No taps but breathers high up with a filter on the top.

Ross M
FollowupID: 761167

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 07:58

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 07:58
Thanks guys. You may have just averted disaster.

I was just going to use my solution as a remedy as I didn't have this issue on the camper trailer and there was no pipe doing a similar job to the one on the van. I do remember however on the trailer there was a small return pipe above the main filler pipe for the tanks. Maybe this is the difference.

I best contact an authorised plumber before proceeding any further.

Why is life never simple???? LOL

Thanks again all. You've probably just saved us a packet. Once again this website and community has proved it's worth. Amazing.

AnswerID: 485945

Reply By: GT Campers - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 12:17

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 12:17
is there not a breather(s) installed into the neck of the filler?

Is this 'overflow' pipe simply a breather that has not be properly installed?
AnswerID: 485959

Reply By: phil300 - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 23:32

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 23:32
If it was me I would run the breather pipe to the opposite side of the tank and put a filter on the end by running across the tank the breather is always on the high side (exit breather on right of tank run breather hose across van back to the left of tank )

cheers Phil
AnswerID: 486000

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 08:12

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 08:12
Morning Guys.
I checked the filler for the tank last night. There is a breather hole above the main intake. So I should be ok to put a tap on????

If this breather is operational, and I do need to get under and check, then why would they also have a larger gauge overflow on the tank???
AnswerID: 486012

Reply By: ed c1 - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 16:40

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 16:40
hi phill,, if you can see the water comming out of pipe fine .if not you may have to remove the tank and check it out.
on my van some dh drilled 2 holes through the floor and straight through the tank during building.
other guys i've talked to found that the tank/s were installed after the floor and was punctured by protruding screws and nails
check it out mate,,,,enjoy your new van and travel safe
AnswerID: 486046

Follow Up By: phil300 - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 22:08

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 22:08
Hi Ed on my van breather goes to filler neck for each tank (3 tanks three fillers) but gets sealed when you screw the cap back on.so they connected all tanks with a overflow- breather and teed into one line all on the right hand side of van so if van was leaning to the right all tanks that were full would loose water.So I extended line across to the left now when leaning to the right the outlet is higher than water level,lean van to the left and water is below overflow and when filling when tank is full water flows out overflow
FollowupID: 761343

Sponsored Links