Water containers

Submitted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 07:14
ThreadID: 95615 Views:3988 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
The water containers I have been using for camping after a while begin to make the water taste foul. Is this the plastic breaking down? What safe containers are on the market for drinking water? I am keen to hear your thoughts!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 08:03

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 08:03
I can't really comment on foul tasting water as any water tastes beautiful when you're thirsty.

However in my experience the plastic blue coloured containers break down after a few years and the plastic green army style ones do not.

Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 486010

Follow Up By: racinrob - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 08:27

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 08:27
Agree with you equinox, the genuine (ex) army jerry cans are the way to go, they will outlast most other 20 lt water containers, don't suffer UV damage and don't taint the water.
VHE 236 6678 rr
FollowupID: 761259

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 08:53

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 08:53
The Aussie made heavy duty black plastic ones are the way to go but make sure you mark the with "Water Only"...... you don't want people putting fuel in them or worse thinking it's fuel and putting it in their vehicle.

If your using the clear type plastic containers chances are they have algae growing inside that it's hard to remove.... black doesn't have this problem.

With the strength of the heavy duty black plastic ones vs steel jerry cans...... when was the last time you broke a wheelie bin.... similar material.

If you go steel jerry cans try and get the more EXPENSIVE REAL military spec version and not the CHEAP ones.
AnswerID: 486018

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 08:55

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 08:55
Here is the link......

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=135&item=37614&intAbsolutePage=1
FollowupID: 761260

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 09:41

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 09:41
They have different containers for fuel & water for a reason, I would doubt if those are food grade.
The army style khaki coloured water containers won't taint the water or let in light that allows algae to grow inside, that is why white or light blue ones are hopeless if stored outside your camper.
FollowupID: 761270

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 16:25

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 16:25
Most quality plastic containers can be used for water including the Rheem heavy duty black ones..... on reason they have different containers for water and fuel is so they don't get mixed up and the water containers are usually made of thinner cheaper plastics hence why a Rheem heavy duty black fuel container costs $40+ and the water ones are around the $20+ mark.

We have always used the black containers for general use water and yellow for diesel.... for drinking water we use 15lt casks bought from the super market, by using cask water you can be ensured of the quality and only use it for drinking.
FollowupID: 761295

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 19:01

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 19:01
Water containers are food grade plastic, I'm sure you would be quick to moan if a camper/caravan manufacturer put a diesel tank underneath your van for water.

FollowupID: 761312

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, May 18, 2012 at 08:47

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 08:47
What goes into it hasn't got anything to do with what they are made from, I don't see where you get this idea that all products made to carry diesel are no good for water.

If you have a look at the price difference between water tanks and diesel tanks there is a big price difference...... so if the diesel tanks are not any stronger that means they are ripping us off!

Fuel tanks have a breather.. water tanks don't.

Colour has a big part to play it what the tank may be used for..... some industries and applications have a colour stipulation to stop confusion.

Most water tanks are advertised as food grade and diesel tanks are not..... for the application there is no need to advertise fuel tanks as food grade.

There are many people using aluminium water tanks that is not recommended.

Our camper has a fibreglass tank.
FollowupID: 761356

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, May 18, 2012 at 08:47

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 08:47
What goes into it hasn't got anything to do with what they are made from, I don't see where you get this idea that all products made to carry diesel are no good for water.

If you have a look at the price difference between water tanks and diesel tanks there is a big price difference...... so if the diesel tanks are not any stronger that means they are ripping us off!

Fuel tanks have a breather.. water tanks don't.

Colour has a big part to play it what the tank may be used for..... some industries and applications have a colour stipulation to stop confusion.

Most water tanks are advertised as food grade and diesel tanks are not..... for the application there is no need to advertise fuel tanks as food grade.

There are many people using aluminium water tanks that is not recommended.

Our camper has a fibreglass tank.
FollowupID: 761357

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 08:58

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 08:58
Thommo
It may be the hose that you are filling them with, some garden hoses are prone to taint water.

Cheers
Paul

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 486020

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 13:49

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 13:49
I've used the light blue willow containers since the 1980's (they used to be clear or green before blue) and never had a problem. Never had algae and never had bad taste. Always fill them straight from the tap - I used a garden hose once and the water was undrinkable. Also I store them empty with the lids off and allow them to dry inside.
AnswerID: 486039

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 14:02

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 14:02
Like Phil G, we use the light blue containers; jerry can shaped 20 litre and cubic 25 litre. Water stays in one in the back of the ute for emergencies and doesn't taint. When left in the sun for a long time, some mould can develop and this cleans off easily by shaking a bit of bleach and water around in it and rinsing well.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 486040

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 16:51

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 16:51
Mmm, I had stainless water tanks on my camper, never had a problem til I bought a new hose, took weeks to get rid of the taste now only use food grade hose to fill up my tanks. I washed out tanks with hot water and vingar then with vanilla. have heard a spoonfull of chlorine works well.
AnswerID: 486047

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Friday, May 18, 2012 at 07:08

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 07:08
I agree with a couple of the other postings. There is definately an issue from not using food grade piping for filling tanks. When we first had our trailer noticed that the water was tainted. On returning home, flushed the tanks then refilled with a food grade hose and the water was fine.
We also used the white plastic 20L jerries for water when we had the traiier. They were stored on the A-Frame. Didn't ever notice a change in the water quality. That is not to say that they are perfect in any way, the only thing I can add is that they weren't sitting there weeks at a time.
Hope you find a solution.
AnswerID: 486096

Sponsored Links