roof racks and wind

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 17:58
ThreadID: 9562 Views:1817 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have fitted a 3/4 length ARB roof rack (no wind deflector) to my GU.

Compared to my previous efforts with a Rhino tray (which essentially has a deflector all the way around) on a Pajero, I notice that the GU gets buffeted around quite a bit.

Would adding a wind deflector make much of a difference? any other tips?
Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: maverick - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:38

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:38
I have a 3/4 JARAM (WA brand) with a wind deflector on a GQ. Previous similar rack had no wind deflector. No difference at all. No difference to noise, sideways, head on, consumption or anything else. After all it is just a roof rack going onto a shape consistent with a brick. If the occaision arises when side movement becomes pronounced then maybe slowing down is an option. rgds
AnswerID: 42110

Reply By: Mark - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:40

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:40
I have recently fiited an ARB full length rack to my new GU from my 80 series. The 80 had a sun visor over the windscreen and this (I have since summarised) kept the rack quiet. When fitted to the GU, the same rack now roars like a 747 taking off!!!

So, I got a piece of black plastic pipe the same diameter as the rack height, cut it in half and presto a wind deflector that works a treat. At ~100km/h there is still a minor amount of wind noise from the back end of the rack, but its quieter than the Cooper ST's fitted.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 42111

Follow Up By: chrisfrd - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:38

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:38
Hi Mark,

this sounds like a bleep ing good plan... Can you take a digital photo of your rack and send it to me at chrisfrd (@) iprimus.com.au

If you can remove the brackets and such... I'm just doing that to stop the spam crawlers...

Chris
FollowupID: 304652

Reply By: awill4x4 - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:52

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:52
Stuart, if you haven't already done so, position your roofrack as far to the rear as you can. The major cause of wind noise and buffeting with roofracks is to position them where the air rising from hitting the windscreen is then hitting the front edge of the roofrack as well.
Sitting the rack rearwards allows the air to rise over the rack without hitting its leading edge.
I build aluminium roofracks as a part time interest and I advise everybody not to get full size racks but to do as you have and get 3/4 length.
I've built them both with and without deflectors and the deflectors don't make any difference.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 42150

Follow Up By: Lyds - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:11

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:11
Thanks Andrew, its already up the back. I went the 3/4 length probably based on your advice in a previous topic. Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
FollowupID: 304657

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 23:50

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 23:50
My advise is to take it off, and only use it when you need to... Hang it from teh carport roof, or shed roof...

The full length one I had slowed the car HEAPS... so hung it from the shed roof on hooks, 10-15 mins to refit. They are also used by drag racers for Parachutes. I really dont like them since that effort.

Andrews advice is good, he knows what he is talking about. (and I owe him a round from last night ) Lots in our club use his racks.
AnswerID: 42159

Reply By: Member - Alan- Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:55

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:55
I've got an ARB 3/4 length on the Defender and just leave it there. Doesn't seem to make any difference to fuel consumption but I don't do many klms. mostly, so probably don't notice it.
As a holder for tent poles I put a 100mm pipe with end caps through it at the front and that seemed to cut down wind noise a bit.
Being a Land Rover a bit more noise won't hurt me anyway!
AnswerID: 42204

Sponsored Links