Uluru

Submitted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 18:14
ThreadID: 95665 Views:2257 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I wish to go to Uluru from Brisbane. I got a low clearance Jeep Patriot and a Cub weekender camper, that is why I haven't done it so far. I need a piece of advice to know if it is wisely to go with this gear and, in case it can be done, what would be the best way to do it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 18:23

Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 18:23
There are sealed roads all the way. You can go through Mt Isa and Alice Springs or through Port Augusta and then north. Have a look at Google maps or similar.
You don't say how much time you have to do it.
AnswerID: 486228

Follow Up By: Carlo Ferraro - Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 21:49

Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 21:49
Thanks, I can have all the time I want, I am retired
FollowupID: 761496

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 06:57

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 06:57
If you are comfortable in your camper and you have plenty of time, why not do a circuit? There are plenty of van parks along both ways, if that is your requirement.
FollowupID: 761505

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 15:12

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 15:12
Hi Carlo

I you want to take your time and do a circuit, i have blogs (dated 2008) on Central Australia and to Darwin, Mount Isa and beyond (dated 2009) being progressively loaded which may be of interest to you. Check out my Blog under my signature. Latest loaded takes us to Winton and the dinosaur fossils but more are being developed from our continuing lap southwards through Queensland.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 761545

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 19:35

Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 19:35
Hi Carlo

The trip planner i use Go See Australia Trip Planner gives the southern option of 3218 kilometres as the shortest route on major roads suitable for all vehicles. It is only around 220 kilometres further via the northern route.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 486235

Follow Up By: Michaeljp - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 14:12

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 14:12
Thats a good link motherhen. thanks.
FollowupID: 761542

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 15:08

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 15:08
Thanks Michael; It is the one i choose and have linked it from my own website. However they did change providers about a year ago, and the previous one they used was even better (i think they were priced out of the market). It had the choice of "quickest" being highway and "shortest" being any road or track. For us who like to get off the beaten track, looking at both options enabled us, in conjunction with our trusty physical map book, to make a better decision. The present one does not have the outback roads which we choose even with our caravan.

I would be interested to know if anyone knows a currently available trip planner which enables you to choose the outback routes.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 761544

Follow Up By: Member - Don & Kathie M (TAS) - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 16:45

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 16:45
In response to Motherhen, I came across the following on RACQ the other day. It appears to be their former version, and allows you to use "quickest" and "shortest" RACQ Classic Trip Planner

Hope it's useful. Kathie
FollowupID: 761549

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 17:12

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 17:12
Thanks Kathie and it is a more flexible one. I had looked at RACQ planner some time previously, and recall it was at that time the same fairly basic planner that many websites use, without option for a waypoint. This current one has the option for one waypoint in addition to the dirt road options and exclusions. Running a through tests on roads we have travelled; it has the Tanami and it has the Norseman to Lake King Road, but it does not have the Gary Junction Road at all. In the Kimberley, quickest selects the highway and shortest selects the Gibb River Road as expected, however with this latter option, excluding dirt roads still tracks the GRR. There is a disclaimer "Please note that some unsealed roads may not be avoided through this function where they are designated as highways" - however the GRR is not regarded as a Highway. It does have the road to Kalumburu from the GRR.

All the same, it has more flexibility than the link i gave :)

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 761551

Sponsored Links