Honda EU10i overload ???

Submitted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 18:44
ThreadID: 95668 Views:8827 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G`day Good People,

My ever reliable ( I thought it was) EU10i generator doesn`t want to work anymore. The motor still starts and runs as good as ever but the generator is showing the red overload alert light continuously and there is no ac power.
After reading the manual it seems as though I may have started it while having excessive load (demand) connected and thus buggered it.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have any helpful info as how to solve it.

Thanks for any help.

Scrubby.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 20:00

Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 20:00
On the E 20i there is an overload button which has to be pressed in to reset the overload system. Then it works normally again until overloaded once more.
I presume the E10i has one of these overloads too.
AnswerID: 486239

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 21:44

Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 21:44
Thanks Ross,
I don`t think it has for the ac system, there is a press button for the dc side however I will check it again tomorrow.
You would think that it should have a reset of some kind.
I am not sure how long it ran overloaded for, I had turned my fridge onto ac deep freeze and my 20 amp battery charger on at the same time. I didn`t check on the SOC of the battery, so if it was down a bit it may have drawn 18 - 20 amps and with the fridge + fans another 6 amps.
I just went and started the Genny and then went off fishing.

I don`t know how to calculate the total load back to ac.

Scrubby.
FollowupID: 761493

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 00:40

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 00:40
The fridge if around 200watts will drag about 1 amp at 240vac but three to four times that to start it up.
The fans ???
The 12v battery charger running at 20 amps = 250 watts from the generator, so another 1 amp. plus a bit more for losses.

So at 240v it is around 4amps to start fridge. I hope it is momentary because that is 4 amps x 240v ac =1000watts to start fridge.
All ok while running but possibly not for startup and the other load of fans and charger too.
An E1000i is only around 800watts continuous.
The start load is the problem with the other gear as well.
FollowupID: 761504

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 12:17

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 12:17
The spec sheet for that gennie on the Honda site says it has an overload for both AC and DC. Logic would suggest that because instances of inadvertent overloading is common in gennies, a reset would of course be needed. My Yammie of the same size has a reset button for the AC.... I have tripped it a few times.
AnswerID: 486288

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 11:19

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 11:19
Scrubby - There's three possible problems. The simplest one is that the overload switch is cooked and won't close. These switches usually rely on a simple "over-centre" arrangement that consists of a bi-metal contact, or a Belleville spring to hold them closed. If they're overloaded with excessive amperage, the heat can cook the bi-metal part, or the metal in the Belleville spring, and they will fail to stay closed.

The second possibility is inverter failure. This unit contains an inverter as part of the generator. An inverter converts DC current to AC, and is full of electronic components such as a microprocessor, transistors, diodes, and various other high-tech electronic switching and voltage conversion components. If one of these electronic components has failed, then the generator won't produce power.

The inverter may or may not be repairable, or replaceable. As with so many modern electronic items, they usually suffer from the "no user-serviceable parts inside" syndrome.

The third and worst scenario is that you have a failure in the generator windings that means the unit is basically unrepairable.

A good sparky will be able to run a few quick tests to find out if either the overload switch is faulty, the inverter is faulty, or if the windings have an open circuit.

The owners manual has a wiring diagram on pages 49 to 52. Giving this wiring diagram to a sparky will assist him enormously.

http://campaigns.hondampe.com.au/Power%20Equipment/ownersmanuals/generator/eu10iown01.pdf

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 486544

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:46

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:46
Hello Scrubby,
The EU10i has a physical reset overload button only on the 12V DC side.

To reset the 240V AC overload requires you stop the motor, wait a few seconds and then restart the motor.

It sounds like you have done some damage to the inverter which is odd. They are quite robust.

I have two of the EU10i's and parallel them semi regularly for bigger loads. If one runs out of fuel the other one will instantly go out on overload.

All I do to recover them is stop the running unit, re-fill both. Start both and then re-connect the load and all is good.

It sounds like a trip to the Honda doctor.

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 486642

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 18:43

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 18:43
Thanks everyone for your helpful info.
I took it to a recommended repairer who said he is a bit busy at the moment but will have a look at it next week. I forgot to take the manual in with the Genni so I will take that in tomorrow and run your suggestions past him .

Thanks again,

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 486671

Sponsored Links